Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Bigadam119

Why did Liam's Map retire?

I know we hang on the retirement to early subject a lot, but seriously Liam's Map was relevant for from August to October and for three races. (Whitney, Woodward, BC Dirt Mile) he wasn't injured and seemed to be getting better. I don't get it.
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
GatetoWire

Biggest issue in racing. Do the math.
He is worth more in the breeding shed than on the racetrack.
He will make more breeding this year with zero risk. There is no incentive to race him when you can breed him and collect checks non stop
GatetoWire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Bigadam119

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatetoWire
Biggest issue in racing. Do the math.
He is worth more in the breeding shed than on the racetrack.
He will make more breeding this year with zero risk. There is no incentive to race him when you can breed him and collect checks non stop
Wouldn't he be worth more breeding with more than 3 revelant races? Nobody even knew who he was before the Whitney.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119
Wouldn't he be worth more breeding with more than 3 revelant races? Nobody even knew who he was before the Whitney.
That is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he hadn't been winning G1s, but he had been very impressive before tackling the big boys.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119
Nobody even knew who he was before the Whitney.
That is certainly NOT true.

Thread started a year ago on him.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...light=liam%27s

Last edited by tucker6; 11-03-2015 at 10:41 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Spalding No!

Valid question, but the decision is not surprising given the fact he was rerouted from the BC Classic to the BC Dirt Mile.

Whoever was in managing the horse clearly has no regard for the sport beyond the business aspect. They had absolutely no interest in finding out how good the horse was. In fact, it looks as though they did everything in their power to "protect" him once he had even the slightest top class credentials after the Whitney.

It's just as well, he's by Unbridled's Song and already had major layoffs earlier in his career. He likely wouldn't have made it beyond next year's Met Mile.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Bigadam119

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
That is certainly NOT true.

Thread started a year ago on him.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...light=liam%27s
Fair enough, my statement may have been a bit overblown. It's very frustrating we saw him appear in only 3 G1's and seemingly got better in each. My thoughts is he would be worth more at stud with a few more G1's on the resume.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
cbp
Veteran

They figured he'd probably never get that perfect a trip again. So, why bother?
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
woodbinepmi

One of the main reasons I have switched all my plays to Hong Kong. All the horses that are stabled there are geldings, due to no breeding system there. Unlike here when we get a real runner, they get him to the brothel as soon as possible, there they continue to run. A horse like Able Friend would have been retired two years ago.
woodbinepmi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Rex Phinney

We need a cap on # of covers per season and no breeding until age 5.

I can't even count how many problems that fixes.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi
One of the main reasons I have switched all my plays to Hong Kong. All the horses that are stabled there are geldings, due to no breeding system there. Unlike here when we get a real runner, they get him to the brothel as soon as possible, there they continue to run. A horse like Able Friend would have been retired two years ago.
I didn't know this. Thanks.

Where do their horses come from?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp
They figured he'd probably never get that perfect a trip again. So, why bother?
Very strange post.

Did you even watch him win last Friday?
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
I didn't know this. Thanks.

Where do their horses come from?
Most of the horses are from Australian and New Zealand with a few English and Irish breds in there.
woodbinepmi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
Valid question, but the decision is not surprising given the fact he was rerouted from the BC Classic to the BC Dirt Mile.

Whoever was in managing the horse clearly has no regard for the sport beyond the business aspect. They had absolutely no interest in finding out how good the horse was. In fact, it looks as though they did everything in their power to "protect" him once he had even the slightest top class credentials after the Whitney.
This paragraph fro DRF , I believe they got advice from the last interest buyer before retiring from the BC mile .

It's just as well, he's by Unbridled's Song and already had major layoffs earlier in his career. He likely wouldn't have made it beyond next year's Met Mile.
You are underestimating the value of a good miler in the breeding shed

Let’s go ahead and agree that he did, if only because Nerud was responsible for the breeding of the greatest American miler in history, Dr. Fager. He also bred Fappiano, winner of the Met Mile, and champion sire Cozzene, winner of the 1985 Breeders’ Cup Mile at Aqueduct.

Drf and Bloodhorse have articles on this , they are in the business , I'm sure they are aware of Neruds success.

They can still be sent to mares with route wins l but breeders do not shy away from a fast miler and many would love a Frankel .

Last edited by nijinski; 11-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
nijinski

[QUOTE=Bigadam119]I know we hang on the retirement to early subject a lot, but seriously Liam's Map was relevant for from August to October and for three races. (Whitney, Woodward, BC Dirt Mile) he wasn't injured and seemed to be getting better. I don't get it.[/QUOTE

I think the breeding farm is looking for talent , especially as their older studs pension and they are looking To replace with good prospects . Who knows what they were offered .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply