Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #301
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Larry Collmus is the top racecaller in the country (you will note which announcer works the TC on NBC- this is not really in doubt), and NYRA had him (having hired him away from Churchill, no less!), and then refused to pay him what he was worth, choosing instead to elevate an inferior career employee. Now they are correcting that.

None of this is really disputed in the industry. TLG just doesn't like it because it makes his friend look like something other than a top race announcer. Unfortunately, TLG's friend is, indeed, not a top race announcer.

You can keep trying to get the last word, and keep pretending you know a whole lot of things you don't, but you aren't fooling anyone here. Your supposed facts are complete BS. You continually prove that you do NOT know the truth....and nobody sane here actually believes you know better than me about this situation, or anything related to NYRA.

It's a credibility issue. You have none. In fact, you repeatedly posting these lies makes me think you don't even believe them yourself.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #302
lex

Geez this thread is something else.

It seems clear to me that Imbriale got his shot as full time caller and he took it and now he wants to relax a little. It's not like he got this gig at 40 .I'm just sad it's only going to be Belmont because he's the voice of the Big A to me.

And who is so hyper focused on the calls when they're watching it on the screen. The only time I care is if I'm actually at Saratoga and I'm on the apron and my short self can't see anything. And to be honest for most of my life I've been asking someone to tell me what happened so no one's calls get it done for me. Belmont and Aqueduct are built for shorties.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #303
VeryOldMan

Quote:
choosing instead to elevate an inferior career employee. Now they are correcting that.
There you go again. A 67 year old race caller might actually want to retire or scale back. Go figure! Claiming this is a "correction" is very unfair to Imbriale without actual evidence. And you've offered none.

I get it - you think Collmus is a superior race caller. I like Collmus too. I thought he was a step slow on the Kentucky Derby call trying to make an epic call re Epicenter and belatedly called the late arrival of Rich Strike. But that's the advantage we have sitting at home, watching in HDTV, and being able to second guess everything. I offer the same grace to John Imbriale and every other race caller.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #304
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's absolutely amazing dilane is even in this discussion...since I remember him saying years ago announcers were pretty much the least important thing ever to grace the racing scene...I believe he was talking about Durkin back then...trying to bash yet another NYRA announcer.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #305
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's absolutely amazing dilane is even in this discussion...since I remember him saying years ago announcers were pretty much the least important thing ever to grace the racing scene...I believe he was talking about Durkin back then...trying to bash yet another NYRA announcer.
They are pretty important in my opinion as they are the voice of the track where they work. They are more important now since they are heard all over the world as opposed to on track only less than 40 years ago.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #306
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
They are pretty important in my opinion as they are the voice of the track where they work. They are more important now since they are heard all over the world as opposed to on track only less than 40 years ago.
Not to mention the legacy they are capable of leaving behind, like any announcer can in the big moments. I certainly appreciate many of the calls when I watch these old races on YouTube.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 07:57 PM   #307
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The calls of Bobby Doyle at Los Alamitos when my step-dad took me to the quarter horse races are still ingrained in my head almost 50 years later and will always be a fond memory. "They're running."
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #308
GMB@BP

Quote:
is, indeed, not a top race announcer.
Do you know how stupid this sounds, he has been calling races in NY for the better part of a couple decades now.

You may not like him but to say he is not at the top of race announcing is stupid.

When you call races for NYRA, or socal, you are inherently at the top.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 11:20 PM   #309
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Do you know how stupid this sounds, he has been calling races in NY for the better part of a couple decades now.

You may not like him but to say he is not at the top of race announcing is stupid.

Exactly, when he was at Hollywood Park my group of race going buddies did not like Luke Kruytbosch. My one friend would always mock him saying, "asked for speed". When Luke got the Churchill Downs job I figured my friends and I were in the minority.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 11:23 PM   #310
SG4

Quote:

By voice of the track do you mean literally what you hear when watching races, or voice as in the ambassador of the track? With the advent of social media the latter has become very prevalent for several, and it's their twitter feeds where I go to learn the latest in what's happening at the track whether it be carryovers, mandatory payout days or just a sense of what it's like to be there. This has certainly raised the profile of a number of race-callers & I think it's been a very nice benefit for the industry & the individuals.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2022, 11:41 PM   #311
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
By voice of the track do you mean literally what you hear when watching races, or voice as in the ambassador of the track? With the advent of social media the latter has become very prevalent for several, and it's their twitter feeds where I go to learn the latest in what's happening at the track whether it be carryovers, mandatory payout days or just a sense of what it's like to be there. This has certainly raised the profile of a number of race-callers & I think it's been a very nice benefit for the industry & the individuals.
I meant the former, but it in some cases it can be both.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #312
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

You should have seen when Bine Masters, Milo Perrins, and Don Alexander had the job at Hollywood Park.

Having a top job doesn't automatically make an announcer (or anyone) qualified for that job.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #313
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You always mischaracterize what I said back then.

To be clear, I don't think announcers are important in the scheme of things. Plenty of tracks have been successful over the years while having bad or boring announcers. I don't think they contribute to the track's bottom line.

However, that has nothing to do with whether (1) tracks see them as important or (2) tracks will sometimes replace bad or not-up-to-par announcers.

It's like saying "having a Lexus rather than a Toyota isn't important to life". That's true. It isn't. But it doesn't mean people don't care about it and don't upgrade their Toyotas to Lexuses.

In this case, NYRA had a Mercedes, downgraded to a used Fiat, and has now decided to upgrade again (while keeping the Fiat around for some of its driving). That's an accurate description of what has happened, and has nothing to do with whether I think NYRA can go on with the Fiat. They clearly could have, but they decided they wanted a better model.

Last edited by dilanesp; 09-07-2022 at 09:23 AM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #314
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Still waiting for something other than opinion.......
Old 09-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #315
ScottJ

Quote:
In this case, NYRA had a Mercedes, downgraded to a used Fiat, and has now decided to upgrade again (while keeping the Fiat around for some of its driving). That's an accurate description of what has happened, and has nothing to do with whether I think NYRA can go on with the Fiat. They clearly could have, but they decided they wanted a better model.
I repeat ... If you want to play the role of whistleblower, grab the brass ring. If you have something so important that this message board and the racing world needs to know the details, put forward the information and sources.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply