Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

2yr Olds vs Older

Just watched a Gr1 race from York (Nunthorpe Stks) at 5f and a 2yr old was running vs older. Amazingly, she was only 7-2 and ran 2nd as the lone baby in a field of 13. She carried 114lbs, and the next lowest weight was 136lbs.

I vaguely remember a 2yr old finishing 2nd in (I think) the Prix de l'Abbaye at Longchamp a few years ago. I also think it shipped in for the Breeders Cup but ran badly.
Is this common overseas?
I've never seen this happen in North America.
The best babies here can run some very fast early splits. With the huge break in weights, I wonder why we don't see this in North America.

Can anyone recall a 2yr old running vs older in our part of the world?
Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Just watched a Gr1 race from York (Nunthorpe Stks) at 5f and a 2yr old was running vs older. Amazingly, she was only 7-2 and ran 2nd as the lone baby in a field of 13. She carried 114lbs, and the next lowest weight was 136lbs.

I vaguely remember a 2yr old finishing 2nd in (I think) the Prix de l'Abbaye at Longchamp a few years ago. I also think it shipped in for the Breeders Cup but ran badly.
Is this common overseas?
The best babies here can run some very fast early splits. With the huge break in weights, I wonder why we don't see this in North America.

It happens overseas more than a couple times a year, but I'd hesitate to call it "common".

I don't recall any here offhand (our conditions are typically written so as to exclude 2yo participation with 3's and older) but there may be a race or two where the conditions allow for it that I can't remember.

I'm not familiar enough with QH racing to know - but with all the mixed QH/TB race cards and races (Los Al, fairs, New Mexico, Canterbury, PrM, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if I had seen it on one of those.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
It happens overseas more than a couple times a year, but I'd hesitate to call it "common".

I don't recall any here offhand (our conditions are typically written so as to exclude 2yo participation with 3's and older) but there may be a race or two where the conditions allow for it that I can't remember.

I'm not familiar enough with QH racing to know - but with all the mixed QH/TB race cards and races (Los Al, fairs, New Mexico, Canterbury, PrM, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if I had seen it on one of those.
It is not uncommon to see it in harness racing, particulary at the end of the year.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
It is not uncommon to see it in harness racing, particulary at the end of the year.
That's probably where I had seen it and wasn't quite remembering. Thanks!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:

Is this common overseas?

BUMP:

Well well well - that 2yr old filly, The Platinum Queen, has just won the Gr1 Prix de L'Abbaye at Longchamp vs older fillies & mares.

Amazing
Old 10-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
the little guy

Quote:
BUMP:

Well well well - that 2yr old filly, The Platinum Queen, has just won the Gr1 Prix de L'Abbaye at Longchamp vs older fillies & mares.

Amazing
The Prix de l'Abbaye is not a sex restricted race.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Then even more amazing.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
That's probably where I had seen it and wasn't quite remembering. Thanks!
The Rocket Man at Calder used to be for 2 and up, a two furlong race.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It is quite a feat, but probably not as good as it appears at first glance. Obviously there is the weight disparity first. She carried 21 pounds less than the males and 17 less than the females.

More importantly, as usual, the course was soft with rain coming down. That gives an advantage to a slighter horse, which a 2yo filly is almost assuredly the slightest of all by a decent margin.

That horse that ran third a few years back came over for the Juvy Turf Sprint and went off a lukewarm favorite. He didn't hit the board, just ran ok after a troubled start. He was a disappointment at 3 as well IMO, though he did have a decent second in a Group 1.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
Someday Silent

The horse still needs the talent and mental maturity to run successfully against elders.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
The horse still needs the talent and mental maturity to run successfully against elders.
Of course,which is why I started with "It is quite a feat." I was just adding a little perspective.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:26 AM   #12
dilanesp

I don't think it's ever happened very much in this country, but if you go way way back into the past (I'm talking maybe the 1940's here), the Jockey Club Scale of Weights included weights for 2 year olds against older. I'm not sure there were really any jockeys who could have made the tiny weights, however.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Connections sat they plan on shipping in for the Breeders Cup Juvy Turf Sprint with Holly Doyle in the irons.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
More importantly, as usual, the course was soft with rain coming down. That gives an advantage to a slighter horse, which a 2yo filly is almost assuredly the slightest of all by a decent margin.
You probably have that built into your track variant program to make sure your figures are even more accurate.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #15
biggestal99

Quote:
Connections sat they plan on shipping in for the Breeders Cup Juvy Turf Sprint with Holly Doyle in the irons.
i love the queen but she is a huge bet against.

the BC is one too many races for her.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply