Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-28-2022, 03:25 PM   #361
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Deterrence
From what? Doesn't a handgun or shotgun accomplish the same thing?
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #362
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Many if not most people, no matter how often they are corrected, believe the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for "assault rifle".

Without Goggling I do believe the A just stands for first letter in the company who first made them. The R does stand for rifle so they are 1/2 right.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #363
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And I would add to PA's answer: Protection. Everyone of us has an inalienable right to self-defense. And we The People have a constitutional right to protect ourselves against tyranny.
No arguing against the right to defend yourself. Why not have missiles or grenades. What's good enough? You talk about tyranny. If the government comes for you which they never have since the independence an AR 15 isn't going to help you.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:33 PM   #364
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
We ALL live in a dangerous world, Tom. It seems to me that if those 19 kids had been better protected, they'd still be alive.

I have a day care center not too far from where I live. The security they have in place for the kids entrusted to them is fantastic. The place is built like Fort Knox with eyes all over the campus. Something happened to the security at that school and it cost those kids their lives. There's no way that shooter should have gained entrance to the building. Now...AFTER-the-FACT, Abbot comes out and acknowledges that a rash of new laws are needed! Typical knee-jerk reaction! How about some freakin' common sense!? Those children and the parents trusted the system to protect. They system failed miserably.
I doubt the security guard has the weaponry to fight against an assault riffle.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #365
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
From what? Doesn't a handgun or shotgun accomplish the same thing?
No, not against a similar weapon.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #366
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
If the government comes for you which they never have since the independence an AR 15 isn't going to help you.
Maybe...maybe not. Better then nothing at all.

If it makes them think twice, then it's worth it in the end.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #367
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
When the constitution was written they had one shot muskets that took forever to reload. I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned these type of weapons. Slavery was also a right under the constitution. Does anyone still have slaves? Women also weren't allowed to vote. The constitution gets changed for the betterment of society. This is one of those cases. Just curious? What do need an assault rifle for?

doesnt matter the people that wrote it knew guns would advance beyond what they had in those days and they wrote to include anything in the future period.

Wasnt there several countries that took firearms from the citizens for the betterment of their society? How did that work out for the citiznes?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #368
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
It's the amount of damage to multiple people in a short period of time that needs to be addressed. The mental health issue is huge but again you are stepping on someone's civil rights if you act before they do something. Do you take away their rights because they might?

any gun control is stepping on citizens rights wouldnt you agree?
Old 05-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #369
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Valid thought, while a pistol barrel is much shorter than an "assault rifle" barrel therefore unable to dissipate heat as efficiently, the amount of powder
in a 9mm pistol cartridge does not create as much heat as a rifle cartridge.
Even during heat treating with a temperature of 1500 deg F, the hole through a 4140 steel rifle barrels will shrink just shy of .001".

I saw a demonstration of a guy who could change magazines so fast on a 9mm pistol about all you saw is them continually drop to the floorit was the argument against making large magazines illegal as magazine size didn't matter with the guy in the demonstration because he was so quick changing them out. He must have fired 70 quickly with no issues. It was long ago but I

think it was an AR-15 converted to full auto drum fed, I believe firing as many

rounds quickly as possible the barrels made it 200-300 rounds before causing gun failure.

I would feel confident firing 50 rounds quick out of that 9mm pistol would be no issue, past that who knows, you might have to slow down the rate of fire.
Heck if I didn't sell the 9mm I had during the 2008 recession I would buy one of those drums and try it out. I live in the woods, I can use my backyard as a shooting gallery and I could monitor barrel heat as I have a pretty accurate laser thermometer

that must of been some fast action.

thats a great place to live
Old 05-28-2022, 04:19 PM   #370
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
any gun control is stepping on citizens rights wouldnt you agree?
No
Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #371
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
No arguing against the right to defend yourself. Why not have missiles or grenades. What's good enough? You talk about tyranny. If the government comes for you which they never have since the independence an AR 15 isn't going to help you.

how do you know that?
Old 05-28-2022, 04:25 PM   #372
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
No

your for stepping on citizens rights, or just their right to have firearms?
Old 05-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #373
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
your for stepping on citizens rights, or just their right to have firearms?
Nice try...I believe Americans should be able to own guns, but also believe that some should be made illegal to own (as some are).
You cannot own a fully automatic weapon (like an uzi). Do you think our government is trampling on our rights because those types of firearms are illegal?

This is the problem with you gun nuts. You think most people want to ban ALL guns, and you couldn't be more wrong. Put your 'Don't Tread On Me' bullshit to rest for a minute and try to be reasonable

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 05-28-2022 at 04:30 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 04:38 PM   #374
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Without Goggling I do believe the A just stands for first letter in the company who first made them. The R does stand for rifle so they are 1/2 right.
Correct. The weapon was developed by a company called ArmaLite, so AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle. I believe ArmaLite later sold the rights for the gun to Colt.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #375
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Nice try...I believe Americans should be able to own guns, but also believe that some should be made illegal to own (as some are).
you cannot own a fully automatic weapon (like an uzi). Do you think our government is trampling on our rights because those types of firearms are illegal?[/B]

[B]This is the problem with you gun nuts. You think most people want to ban ALL guns, and you couldn't be more wrong. Put your 'Don't Tread On Me' bullshit to rest for a minute and try to be reasonable
citizens can apply for a permit and own a fully automatic weapon if they choose.

any control will lead to full confiscation.

Funny how you gun grabbers always blame the gun and never the person responsible.

My dad had several weapons and none of them left the house and went on a shooting spree.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: