Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #346
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post

Problem is...people who already have either obtained them either legally or illegally. Neither side is budging. This problem can be helped going forward...but no "Leader" is stepping out like that in an Election year. Not to mention...these "Leaders", and their families, are unaffected by these issues. They could give a Shit less.
Totally agree.
azeri98 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #347
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
The constitution gives me the right to bare arms it doesnt say just for hunting and who are you to tell someone what kind or what they need a weapon for.
When the constitution was written they had one shot muskets that took forever to reload. I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned these type of weapons. Slavery was also a right under the constitution. Does anyone still have slaves? Women also weren't allowed to vote. The constitution gets changed for the betterment of society. This is one of those cases. Just curious? What do need an assault rifle for?
Old 05-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #348
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I always wonder why the AR-15 or similar is the weapon of choice in a confined space where someone wants to kill as many as possible. Is it the way they look? I believe even if you banned the sale of like weapons to civilians, these mass homicidal maniacs would just go to the next available weapon that can commit mass murder. A 9mm pistol with a 50 round drum

loaded with hollow points would be just as lethal or maybe worse. Would that be the weapon of choice for these sickos if whatever is called an assault rifle these days is no longer available?

For the record there are hunting rifles just as lethal or more lethal than the AR-15, they just aren't designed to hold high capacity magazines, are bolt, or lever action, and have tubular magazines, that typically hold 6-8 rounds.

Going after the legally owned gun is not a short term solution to an obvious mental health issue. There are still plenty of 18 century dueling pistols around in functioning condition, so many you can buy one for less than a S&W Model 29 with an 8" barrel, the Dirty Harry weapon of choice. Well maintained guns
can last for hundreds of years. How about some proactive actions to stop these homicidal maniacs before they act, most all of them left a trail of odd behavior and threats.
It's the amount of damage to multiple people in a short period of time that needs to be addressed. The mental health issue is huge but again you are stepping on someone's civil rights if you act before they do something. Do you take away their rights because they might?
Old 05-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #349
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
Would think that a 50 round drum on a pistol could over heat the barrel and cause weapon to malfunction

Valid thought, while a pistol barrel is much shorter than an "assault rifle" barrel therefore unable to dissipate heat as efficiently, the amount of powder
in a 9mm pistol cartridge does not create as much heat as a rifle cartridge.
Even during heat treating with a temperature of 1500 deg F, the hole through a 4140 steel rifle barrels will shrink just shy of .001".

I saw a demonstration of a guy who could change magazines so fast on a 9mm pistol about all you saw is them continually drop to the floor, it was the argument against making large magazines illegal as magazine size didn't matter with the guy in the demonstration because he was so quick changing them out. He must have fired 70 quickly with no issues. It was long ago but I

think it was an AR-15 converted to full auto drum fed, I believe firing as many

rounds quickly as possible the barrels made it 200-300 rounds before causing gun failure.

I would feel confident firing 50 rounds quick out of that 9mm pistol would be no issue, past that who knows, you might have to slow down the rate of fire.
Heck if I didn't sell the 9mm I had during the 2008 recession I would buy one of those drums and try it out. I live in the woods, I can use my backyard as a shooting gallery and I could monitor barrel heat as I have a pretty accurate laser thermometer.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #350
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
No, it doesn't. But HIS abuse of his rights should not be the catalyst for the government to abuse the rights of the vast majority of gun owners who are law-abiding citizens.
Can you explain to me why a citizen has the right to have a weapon with multiple magazines that can inflict this much damage. For what? Just for shits and giggles so you can say you have one?
Old 05-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #351
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
Can you explain to me why a citizen has the right to have a weapon with multiple magazines that can inflict this much damage. For what? Just for shits and giggles so you can say you have one?
Deterrence
Old 05-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #352
boxcar

Quote:
And I would add to PA's answer: Protection. Everyone of us has an inalienable right to self-defense. And we The People have a constitutional right to protect ourselves against tyranny.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #353
Inner Dirt

Quote:
It's the amount of damage to multiple people in a short period of time that needs to be addressed. The mental health issue is huge but again you are stepping on someone's civil rights if you act before they do something. Do you take away their rights because they might?

That ship has left the port, any weapon that accepts a detectable magazine
can hold up to 100 rounds, depending on what is available from after market
manufacturers. They are too many high capacity magazines out there and more added daily. I am just a one man band jobber machine shop now but once made my own products that were a new item on the market. Trust me,
if someone decides there could be a market for 50 round drums for a .22 Marlin, and they start selling they will start making them, and when they saturate the market they will try the next model they feel they can sell.
High capacity magazine manufacturing has spread like wildfire, you aren't
putting that toothpaste back in the tube. Same with all the guns that are out

there, you can't walk that back.

When it comes to my proposed solution I can piss off both sides. First I believe full civil rights should only be afforded to law abiding citizens. When you violate the civil rights of others you lose some of yours. A piece of garbage like my nephew should be subject to being searched for weapons any time anywhere, and when caught with something he shouldn't have, back in the joint. I am sure liberals are against that. To piss of Republicans I am all for taking the guns of someone deemed a risk for violence, but there you set a high standard for seizure. Social media needs to be monitored for guys like the Buffalo shooter, he left a trail.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #354
Inner Dirt

Quote:

There are people like that. I had a friend buy four 100 round drums for a gun he didn't own, cause he just wanted them for his collection.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #355
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Deterrence

Where I live out in the woods, gun fire is often a daily occurrence, either hunters are target shooters. There are a lot of houses well off the asphalt roads where if you drove to them you could find many of them unoccupied.
There has been only one known criminal doing home break ins during the 12 years I have lived here. The guy was robbing homes in broad daylight during church services, there are quite a few small country churches scattered about. He was caught after a couple weeks, don't know his back story other than he was a supposed meth head. Pretty sure anyone casing this area for home burglaries quickly decides to go elsewhere when they notice the heavy presence of firearms.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #356
OntheRail

Quote:
When the constitution was written they had one shot muskets that took forever to reload. I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned these type of weapons. Slavery was also a right under the constitution. Does anyone still have slaves? Women also weren't allowed to vote. The constitution gets changed for the betterment of society. This is one of those cases. Just curious? What do need an assault rifle for?

It's a slippery slope.. and once you start down where do we stop.

Cause you know back when the Constitution was written... it took months for information to travel across the nation. I doubt the founding father invissioned the internet and platforms like Twitter Facebook or Tic Tak. Where people can expound on whatever hate-filled or batshit craziness or gender twisted BS out to the world in nanoseconds. Back in the day one pondered their words deliberated there impact. Now it's pound the send key mindlessly and in rapid fire accession. So should we repeal the 1st Amendment?

Also please define "Assault Rifle" cause it's not a class of weapons any manufacturer offers for sale. You won't find a US Pat. for one.

I know everyone wants to do something... maybe Joe can assign Kamala to find the root causes like he did for the illegals entering the southern border.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #357
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
It's a slippery slope.. and once you start down where do we stop.

Cause you know back when the Constitution was written... it took months for information to travel across the nation. I doubt the founding father invissioned the internet and platforms like Twitter Facebook or Tic Tak. Where people can expound on whatever hate-filled or batshit craziness or gender twisted BS out to the world in nanoseconds. Back in the day one pondered their words deliberated there impact. Now it's pound the send key mindlessly and in rapid fire accession. So should we repeal the 1st Amendment?

Also please define "Assault Rifle" cause it's not a class of weapons any manufacturer offers for sale. You won't find a US Pat. for one.

I know everyone wants to do something... maybe Joe can assign Kamala to find the root causes like he did for the illegals entering the southern border.

Which way is the wind blowing? Liberals are constantly changing the meaning

of words, you can now be a man without having a penis. Originally when they

were first made an assault rifle had to have a detachable magazine, and selective fire. I think the detachable magazine still stands in the definition
but selective fire was changed to semi automatic and scary looking.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:59 PM   #358
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And I would add to PA's answer: Protection. Everyone of us has an inalienable right to self-defense. And we The People have a constitutional right to protect ourselves against tyranny.
Welp, none of those 19 kids will ever harm you now.
Neither will any aborted kids, so getting rid of Roe v Wade is putting us all at risk.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #359
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Many if not most people, no matter how often they are corrected, believe the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for "assault rifle".
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #360
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Welp, none of those 19 kids will ever harm you now.
Neither will any aborted kids, so getting rid of Roe v Wade is putting us all at risk.
We ALL live in a dangerous world, Tom. It seems to me that if those 19 kids had been better protected, they'd still be alive.

I have a day care center not too far from where I live. The security they have in place for the kids entrusted to them is fantastic. The place is built like Fort Knox with eyes all over the campus. Something happened to the security at that school and it cost those kids their lives. There's no way that shooter should have gained entrance to the building. Now...AFTER-the-FACT, Abbot comes out and acknowledges that a rash of new laws are needed! Typical knee-jerk reaction! How about some freakin' common sense!? Those children and the parents trusted the system to protect. They system failed miserably.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: