Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #151
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Edit)

One thing I would change though in contrast to some of the gun-control stuff is a change to how CCL's are issued.

A lot states operate on "May Issue" grounds. I would have that changed to "shall issue."

You complete the class and pass the checks you should be able to conceal carry and not leave it up to the whims of some magistrate.
Big thumbs up from me.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #152
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's similar to the abortion rights crowd. Historically, neither wants to give an inch for fear the whole thing will be taken away.
The Left doesn't see it that way, though. They KNOW they are right...and us Deplorables MUST be told what is best for us.

The Folly of all this is any reasonable person can look at any State or City with Democratic Leadership and see for themselves the reality of their Policies. Yet, they themselves cannot understand why people don't trust them.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #153
Elkchester Road

Quote:
One idea I had heard recently that I didn't think was terrible is the idea of guns having "titles" similar to cars and simply registering them that way.

I understand the "slippery slopers" will say registration is just a means to confiscation but... come on... there are more privately owned firearms in this country than people.
The reason there are, as you say, "slippery slopers" is because of the Left's history with "slopes". Look no further than Abortion.

Last edited by Elkchester Road; 05-26-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Elkchester Road is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 02:06 PM   #154
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
The reason there are, as you say, "slippery slopers" is because of the Left's history with "slopes". Look no further than Abortion.
Even if I agreed with your premise abortions don't have their own amendment.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #155
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Even if I agreed with your premise abortions don't have their own amendment.
Amendments...the very thing(s) the Left have pretty much run roughshod over for the last 2 years...or decades. The First one is a Mother...

We both know we aren't agreeing on anything about this...so you can dispense with the nonsense to start your reply. Is there a reason that practically every reply you make to someone here...you have to attempt to marginalize them at the beginning?

Last edited by Elkchester Road; 05-26-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Elkchester Road is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #156
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
We already have Background Checks to purchase firearms.
Laws vary from state to state, but one thing I notice gun laws make no difference in homicide rates because criminals don't follow them, only law abiding citizens do. I have lived in both California which have strict gun laws
and Virginia where they are lax, both states have similar homicide by gun rates. Private sales of guns here are cash and carry to anyone who shows a Virginia I.D. that they are 18 and a resident of this state.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #157
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Keep seeing headlines on my phone questioning why it took them an hour to take the shooter down...he spent an hour inside the school?
Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #158
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Private sales do not always have to go through NICS but the seller is supposed to be responsible for any background checks. I know it is not enforced but the seller is liable in any civil suit down the road if the buyer was not vetted and injured/killed someone.

I wonder how many crimes are committed with guns purchased at gun shows? It seems we would be seeing actual data if it was a real problem, along with the screaming that we hear now.

Not in this state, as a law abiding citizen I read up on what I needed to do to make a private gun sale. Once I saw an I.D. proving residence in the state and they were an adult, everything else was on them. Of course one is to retain all the information for your own protection, the seller files no paperwork. Every state has it's own rules regarding gun control.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #159
Robert Fischer
clean money

Some of these young men get disenfranchised. That can be a tough age.

Maybe some programs directed to offer training in jobs like learning a trade, or coding or a CDL Truck program could benefit both the corporations and the young men.

If there's no incentives, nothing enjoyable, and no roots, - these guys are vulnerable to being groomed just to be a part of something, they buy into the us vs them mentality and the extremism.

I know we are supposed to now jump into either pro or anti gun along party lines, but this is the stuff that comes to mind first.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #160
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Keep seeing headlines on my phone questioning why it took them an hour to take the shooter down...he spent an hour inside the school?
There are also two other mystifying details to this story that have not surfaced yet: One, is that the kid didn't have a driver's license and the grandfather said grandson didn't know how to drive. So...did he walk to school slinging the AR-15 over his shoulder or did someone drive him? If so, who drove him?

Secondly, Texas has pretty stringent school security laws. How did he get inside the school that also has security cameras all around the campus? Did he walk around in broad daylight with that AR-15 looking for an unlocked door? How did he escape the cameras?

Something stinks here...
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #161
Inner Dirt

The money needs to be spent to make schools safer, until the root causes of all these mass shooting at schools can be uncovered and treated. A lot has
changed since Brenda "I don't like Monday's" Spencer shot up an elementary school over 40 years ago. It baffles me how many people get angry at the lack of more gun laws when these shootings happen, like Steve Kerr's rant.
It is an obvious mental health or mental weakness issue. I keep hearing these
shooters were bullied. Bullies have been around forever. They were raised by bad parents, they have been around forever also.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #162
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The money needs to be spent to make schools safer, until the root causes of all these mass shooting at schools can be uncovered and treated. A lot has
changed since Brenda "I don't like Monday's" Spencer shot up an elementary school over 40 years ago. It baffles me how many people get angry at the lack of more gun laws when these shootings happen, like Steve Kerr's rant.
It is an obvious mental health or mental weakness issue. I keep hearing these
shooters were bullied. Bullies have been around forever. They were raised by bad parents, they have been around forever also.
The root cause is under everyone's noses, but no one wants to accept the divinely inspired biblical explanation. Murder is nothing new! The first recorded murder in human history is recorded in the bible! Cain slew his brother Abel. And we humans are still murdering our brothers and sisters to this day -- since we all descend from Adam.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #163
OntheRail

Quote:
Something as simple as background checks and waiting periods have nothing to do with literally anything in the above post.
I did say some of it went beyond the knee jerk reaction to do something while the blood was still damp.

But really not even this... part
Quote:
Criminal don't care about laws... and Bureaucrats often don't enforce them or turn a blind eye. Hunter Biden's gun crimes for example.
Hell the Secret Service tried to confiscate the background paperwork from the FFL dealer that Hunter lied on. Who ever Ok'd it did not care to do their Job once the seen Joe Briben sons name.

And back to this crime... it's been reported the 18 year old shooter purchased his weapons legally. Which means he went through a background check. He had on him the nasty looking rifle lots of ammunition and a semi auto handgun. But you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun in Texas. So there you go... he had to of lied on app or some Bureaucrat rubberstamp it or he stole it.

So I guess it's only for those commoners the law abiding citizens... the underbellies and well connect need not apply.

Hey why not have people the selling an automobile privately demand the buyer have a valid DL and see proof of insurance. Why did they not call for that after the mass mow-down at the Christmas Parade. Cause saving life and limb is not the primary objective. Nor is holding the criminals accountable.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #164
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Some of these young men get disenfranchised. That can be a tough age.

Maybe some programs directed to offer training in jobs like learning a trade, or coding or a CDL Truck program could benefit both the corporations and the young men.

If there's no incentives, nothing enjoyable, and no roots, - these guys are vulnerable to being groomed just to be a part of something, they buy into the us vs them mentality and the extremism.

I know we are supposed to now jump into either pro or anti gun along party lines, but this is the stuff that comes to mind first.

Good point, most High Schools these days have little or no shop programs,
not everyone is college material or fit to spend their whole day behind a desk.
It seems High School these days is lust preparing a kid for college and discourages people to pursue a career where you must work with your hands.

The High School I went to in the 70's had year round auto shop, year round wood shop, year round metal shop. Then it had a smorgasbord type shop, which had 1/4 of each, wood, metal, electronic shops, and graphic arts.

They need to bring that back to fit modern times, trying hard to find something a kid that isn't good at book learning could take to, and allow them
to graduate with a technical certificate.

Some people get bored doing the same thing day in and out, I am definitely one of those people. The recession of 2008 wiped out my OEM business so I just became a small machine shop army of one doing job shop work.
Not a way to get rich, but it's a living, and I can where all kinds of hats so
I never get bored doing the same thing over and over. If I get tired of doing paperwork playing office boy, I go pick up a broom for an hour.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #165
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Why did they not call for that after the mass mow-down at the Christmas Parade. Cause saving life and limb is not the primary objective. Nor is holding the criminals accountable.

The Christmas Parade massacre coverage was a prime example of media bias

because the perp was a black racist, that most of the media wants you to think don't exist. You can read the whole Wiki article no picture or mention he was black. Crap like that fans the flames, it makes blacks think they are always the victim, and pisses off white people as they keep getting labeled as the only perpetrators of racism.