Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #16
Andy Asaro

Click this link to see Ray's twitter feed. He's live tweeting.

https://twitter.com/raypaulick/with_replies
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

According to Equibase, Ms. Beattie won 34.6% of her races in 2008 (612 starters). In the two prior years (2006/7), she had 783 starters and won roughly 32% of her races (again, Equibase is the source).
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #18
lamboguy

Ray Paulick just summed it up perfectly, "Today not a good day for horse racing integrity."

i have always loved the work Ray has done because he has never been afraid to tell it like it is
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

"The lab was using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay kits for drug screening. To save money, Robinson assumed, the lab would mix urine samples from two horses and screen for various drugs. If something was “flagged” as positive, the individual samples would be retested. The mixing of samples, however, would dilute any prohibited substance in an individual sample."

Pitiful.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...shadow-racing/
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

On some level I think most horseplayers have known (for many years now) what's been going on behind the curtain.

Some./many of us have been calling on regulators (again for years now) to clean up racing's drug problem.

Which for the most part has fallen on deaf ears -- because no one on the other side of the curtain has been willing to admit the obvious:

That yes -- racing does indeed have a drug problem.

-jp

Old 06-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #21
Ian Meyers

Somewhere tonight I think Mike Gill must be laughing his ass off.

I can't see how we go back to business as usual in racing after this.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #22
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I hope Paulick keeps us updated.

And, I guess Michael Gill really was onto something what was it some five years ago and few people listened to him.

I admit I was doubtful at the time of his claims of the widespread corruption partly because I think he was saying the FBI was included in the collusion. And, no one was doing anything about it.

whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #23
HalvOnHorseracing

I don't think it is good reporting, or telling it like it is when you only publish stuff based on press releases or public information sources. Don't just tell me 95% of trainers are using illegal raceday medication. Give us the whole story. Which drugs are we talking about? Are 95% of the trainers using illegal raceday drugs on every horse and every race, or is it like saying 99.9% of people have told a lie in their life, even though only a small percentage are chronic liars? Is this every track, including the major race meets, or is it generally limited to the tertiary venues like PA and WV?

Where are they getting the drugs? Are the vets in on this? How many inspections have the stewards done and found hypodermic needles (which are illegal for a trainer to possess)? What steps have they taken to eliminate the "scourge" of drugs and why haven't they worked if we've known about it for decades?

ARCI did a survey of horseracing people. Here's a few of the results.

Some people I know cheat - 57.2% totally or somewhat agree

Legal medications are being overused inappropriately - 61.9% totally or somewhat agree

Doping with designer drugs are rampant - 58.1% totally or somewhat agree

And now for the icing on the cake.

Most people I know are honest and would never knowingly mistreat a horse by overusing a medication - 79.8%

What a perfect metaphor for how people think. Everybody is using drugs except everybody I know is honest.

Stephanie Beattie proclaims everyone a cheater and it's confirmation of "what we all know to be true." Me, I'd like the details.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I don't think it is good reporting, or telling it like it is when you only publish stuff based on press releases or public information sources. Don't just tell me 95% of trainers are using illegal raceday medication. Give us the whole story. ...

Stephanie Beattie proclaims everyone a cheater and it's confirmation of "what we all know to be true." Me, I'd like the details.
Without having to re-read all of the links and posts within this thread, I thought these comments were from trial testimony and not press releases. At least see the link in post #19.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It was the SA race on dirt. It may not have been Thanksgiving weekend, but that is why I was there. We'd do one weekend in PA and one in Baltimore, alternate each year for the holidays. Moving to Texas was a blessing!
Answer Do was trained and onwed by TuP people, think he won the phoenix gold cup twice.

I believe he was trained by Lymin Rollins
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Answer Do was trained and onwed by TuP people, think he won the phoenix gold cup twice.

I believe that was the trainer.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #27
thaskalos

The big question that begs to be answered now is...can the horseplayer handle the truth? We've been waiting to hear a "name" trainer admit that there is rampant illegal drug use in this game...and now that we've heard it...do we wish that we HADN'T?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 AM   #28
proximity

i'm confused.

just a few short years ago stephanie beattie and another "trainer" were supposedly spending mornings sharing "laughs at the gap" about the content of paceadvantage website posts and NOW 95-98% of pen horsemen are juicers???

the gamblers of this great website deserve an apology!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 AM   #29
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Yes, he was. Gold Cup a couple times, just about everything in Nebraska, the Turf Express at Hollywood twice as well, I believe. All those efforts in the California graded stakes and still I believe he retired with something like 30 exacta finishes in 40 starts.

Pretty neat horse. And very neat trainer.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #30
lamboguy

i think that the nuts and bolts of this case is that the Feds got involved through wire fraud. most of the time they would have left it with the state of Pennsylvania to take to trial. ultimately it all comes back to the state because they are the regulator's and collect their portion of the handle and are supposed to protect the best interest's of their citizens. obviously the feds don't trust the state of Penn after reviewing this case and decided to take matters into their own hands.

i say that when this case is concluded their will be more to come. it might turn out to be the best thing for the game. the activity that is going on in Pennsylvania goes on in most other states on different scales. if states want to remain in the gambling regulations business and collect revenues from it they had better start doing a better job.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: