Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Doc

Delaware Park set to open

Well, let's see if Delaware Park can get fields of more than 5 horses on a regular basis this year. They chased away the last racing secretary and brought in Pat Pope to try and spice things up ... let's hope he succeeds. Noticed that Clinton Potts is riding at DelPark this year - he's back on the East Coast after having started at Penn National, rode at Delaware for a season, went to California (where, by the way, he knocked up one of the TV paddock hostesses, I believe it was Jeanne Jones, even though he had a wife and family in Grantville, Pa.) and now he's back. Wonder why he left California? I always thought he was a decent rider, I definitely like to use him in my wagers.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
LemonDropKid

Field Sizes

Doc,

I am with you on the field size. It would be nice to see more horses this year.

One disappointment is the absence of Sunday racing. They are only racing on Sunday in June and July.

Kid
LemonDropKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Well, let's see if Delaware Park can get fields of more than 5 horses on a regular basis this year. They chased away the last racing secretary and brought in Pat Pope to try and spice things up ... let's hope he succeeds. Noticed that Clinton Potts is riding at DelPark this year - he's back on the East Coast after having started at Penn National, rode at Delaware for a season, went to California (where, by the way, he knocked up one of the TV paddock hostesses, I believe it was Jeanne Jones, even though he had a wife and family in Grantville, Pa.) and now he's back. Wonder why he left California? I always thought he was a decent rider, I definitely like to use him in my wagers.
Monmouth Park increased their purses and they will give Delaware a run for their money. The competition is getting pretty fierce between MP, PP and Delaware. I still like the starter at DP for horses 25k and under non winners of an allowance purse was 33k last summer. The fields were 5 or 6 at most in those races.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonDropKid
Doc,

I am with you on the field size. It would be nice to see more horses this year.

One disappointment is the absence of Sunday racing. They are only racing on Sunday in June and July.

Kid
I agree with you, I don't know why they would drop Sunday racing, a day that most people have off from work. Maybe they feel that in August and September they are up against too many tracks that compete with them for the available pool of horses? That's a head-scratcher to me.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I've been tracking the daily workout tab at Del for the past 30 days. Keep an eye on anything trained by Codey Autry. Up from FG and will be scoring early and often with low-level claimers.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
DRIVEWAY

Delaware Park will have very few races with 8 or more betting interests. Philly and Monmouth won't be much better.
Penn National's purse structure will drain some of the cheaper stock.

What amazes me the most, is the number of scratches on weekdays. The weather's perfect and the 7 horse field scratches down to 4 or 5. Sad.
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
BELMONT 6-6-09

Short fields with generally uncompetitive races are the norm for some tracks in this day and age. That's why it's refreshing to see the Tampa Bays and Keenelands etc with the full fields. I guess too much racing and too many tracks have taken their toll and changes are necessary.But you know how changes are in this game slow..if any. Shame
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Ah Potsy comes home, who can ask for anything more !

Without Dominguez , the jock standings should be more evenly balanced this year. I guess alot of MD horses will show up too. Do they still have the choose six bet going on at Delaware where you choose what races to include in your p6 ? They had it at Monmouth for a year and then pulled it and started a p5 instead. Thought it was a neat idea.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
KathleenImposter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEWAY

What amazes me the most, is the number of scratches on weekdays. The weather's perfect and the 7 horse field scratches down to 4 or 5. Sad.
That's what happens when the racing secretary calls to fill the race. The trainer says "I'll enter if you let me scratch without penalty" so they scratch when the see how tough the race is.
KathleenImposter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEWAY
Delaware Park will have very few races with 8 or more betting interests. Philly and Monmouth won't be much better.
Penn National's purse structure will drain some of the cheaper stock.

Only post things you are sure of MP will have full fields, trust me there isn't a stall left on the property and many new faces will be at the track.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
DRIVEWAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Only post things you are sure of MP will have full fields, trust me there isn't a stall left on the property and many new faces will be at the track.
How many open stalls were their last year?

Let's hope 2009 is a banner year. Ten-twelve horse fields every other race, that would be a pleasant surprise. "99", check back when that happens.
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Can you bet them anywhere?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Who are the new faces ?
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc

In all fairness, in the spring/summer months, there's probably about a dozen or so tracks running in the northeast from Massachusetts down to Virginia. I'm sure making the races competitive with quality isn't easy.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
I've been tracking the daily workout tab at Del for the past 30 days. Keep an eye on anything trained by Codey Autry. Up from FG and will be scoring early and often with low-level claimers.

Autry did the same thing at Del Mar last summer. He shipped his best claimers in hoping to get sold. He should also bring overlay odds.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: