Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #451
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Texting/Talking on your cell phone while driving a car.

Why? You zigzag all over the road, you are slow on red lights, and you endanger everybody around you while driving a 2 ton machine up to speeds of 90 MPH.

Then on Sundays you bitch, whine, and complain about a couple of humans willfully making contact helmet to helmet while making millions a year. I'm not paid a dime to go and get a gallon of milk while you endanger my life over sending a selfie of you and your cat on your phone.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #452
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Conversations that consist of mainly nonsense.....
I'm like
he went, then I go
it's like y'know?
he's all.... and I'm like
Old 02-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #453
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking on our cell phone when you are walking around in a store, especially if you are checking out. I don't need to hear all the details of your miserable life yacked at me when I am shopping, And you are holding up the cashier when you stop unloading your cart to talk to the brain dead friend on your phone.

I once took out my phone, not connected, just pretending, and I said, rather loudly, "I'm not sure how long I'll be. This fat-ass broad in front of me is taking forever to check out! Hope it's soon - she smells like S***.? Looking straight at her the whole time!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #454
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Any airport I have been to which is only a half dozen or so would not allow anyone to be in the loading\unloading area parked unless they were doing just that. Whenever I picked anyone up I just made laps around the airport until they showed up.
Maybe BWI (the airport I frequent the most) doesn't have enough police and/or guards to watch out for and prevent this problem.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #455
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Maybe BWI (the airport I frequent the most) doesn't have enough police and/or guards to watch out for and prevent this problem.
As it took me 50 years to escape from California the airport I frequented the most was Ontario International. There usually was an Ontario Police car out front at all times and an airport security guard walking back and forth on the sidewalk where you unload and pick up passengers. After 9-11 if you even lingered the least bit on the curb one or the other would be walking your direction. Whenever I picked up or dropped people off there I acted like we were doing a fire drill.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #456
Inner Dirt

How many of my fellow old and decrepit peers in here still insist on doing their own vehicle repairs and maintenance because they do not trust anyone to work on their cars? A good example yesterday I rotated the tires on my Chevy Tahoe in spite of a fused lower spine and two shoulders that have been confirmed to need operations. Even using a decent impact on the highest setting with 90 psi line pressure I could not get the lug nuts to loosen. I had to use a breaker bar with a 6 foot pipe over it and all of my 260 pounds to break them loose. They were just flat over tightened, the lug nuts had dug in and scored the aluminum wheels. I doubt anyone would have been able to change a flat by the side of the road with normal tools and I often go through areas with no cell service. It was obvious the chain store tire place over tightened the lug nuts to the extreme.

If we went back decades ago you could always trust that someone could at least change your oil and install your tires without screwing up, now that isn't the case. Anyone agree with me or do I just have bad luck?

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 03-19-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #457
woodtoo

Quote:
How many of my fellow old and decrepit peers in here still insist on doing their own vehicle repairs and maintenance because they do not trust anyone to work on their cars? A good example yesterday I rotated the tires on my Chevy Tahoe in spite of a fused lower spine and two shoulders that have been confirmed to need operations. Even using a decent impact on the highest setting with 90 psi line pressure I could not get the lug nuts to loosen. I had to use a breaker bar with a 6 foot pipe over it and all of my 260 pounds to break them loose. They were just flat over tightened, the lug nuts had dug in and scored the aluminum wheels. I doubt anyone would have been able to change a flat by the side of the road with normal tools and I often go through areas with no cell service. It was obvious the chain store tire place over tightened the lug nuts to the extreme.

If we went back decades ago you could always trust that someone could at least change your oil and install your tires without screwing up, now that isn't the case. Anyone agree with me or do I just have bad luck?
It works both ways I know a few friends who have had wheels come loose which can have dire consequences also. Best to check all lugs including oil filters.
You need to watch over these people.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #458
Marshall Bennett

I always watch when my tires are put on my car. Many service hands will put the lugs on in a clockwise order instead on torquing them properly. Either they're inexperienced or just stupid. I learned to watch for myself after having 2 actually break clean off many years back. Then as the others loosened the tire started vibrating the car so badly, I was lucky to get to a stop before it came off entirely. One of the other 3 tires was beginning the same process. I don't trust anyone other than myself with my tires anymore.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #459
Inner Dirt

I guess I should not have complained about severely over tightened lug nuts. I shared the story with a good customer of mine and after a recent tire change at a Costco he said he had an almost immediate failure of a couple of the pressure sensors. He returned to the store and when they removed the tires they had puddles of water in them. What kind of idiot mounts a tire full of water?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #460
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Speaking of pressure sensors, my Hyundai's warning light goes off everytime the temperature drops. Pain in the arse.

But even more of a pet peeve is the danged trunk open button on my key chain. At least twice a week I get in, buckled up, radio on, coffee opened, and I see the trunk light on from accidentally pressing it.

Oh, and I don't much like tight nuts either.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #461
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Speaking of pressure sensors, my Hyundai's warning light goes off everytime the temperature drops. Pain in the arse.

But even more of a pet peeve is the danged trunk open button on my key chain. At least twice a week I get in, buckled up, radio on, coffee opened, and I see the trunk light on from accidentally pressing it.

Oh, and I don't much like tight nuts either.
Don't know how you like your tires, I always run mine toward max pressure so even on a day where the thermometer isn't much above zero I get no warning lights. I do have a huge air compressor, plenty of hose, a filling fitting, and a tire gauge. I probably check them every couple months. I don't even know what pressure sets off the warning, only time I ever got one I had a tire going flat.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #462
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Don't know how you like your tires,
Fairly round and rollable.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #463
Stevecsd2

Doing your own tire rotations - A Better Option

I just pay the $10 per tire for the warranty and the tire rotation & balance when I change my oil. It's good for as long as I have that tire. And I just used it last week when I had a flat. It 's worth it not to bang up my knuckles and fight with stuck on lug nuts.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #464
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

Some of those "Tire" centers use air wrenches with the torque settings too high. Happened to me many years ago at a local tire and battery place, where they were nice guys and had given a job to an obvious Down Syndrome fellow, who had arms bigger than my thighs. When it came time to put my snow tires on, the lug nuts were gouged into the wheels and I needed to do your pipe trick while my dad added some heat with a torch. Never went back to that tire center.
So fast forward 40 years, and my daughter called me to ask if I can put a spare tire onto her Rav4, husband at work. Again I had to use a 2 ft. pipe on a small Toyota lug wrench plus penetrating oil to break the lug nuts loose. It gets better, I'm doing this with mostly one arm about 3 months before getting my shoulder repaired. So I now had all the lugs off, and the wheel will not absolutely budge, like it's welded to the axle. I crawled underneath with a sledge hammer and that did the trick. So your luck is about par for the course.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #465
PointGiven

Late seeing this so will add thoughts

People who don't understand irony and confuses it with coincidence

Selfish behavior in general, loud talkers in public. Like their thoughts are so important everyone should hear.

Something I see more of lately. Click on a news story and it has just a line or two. Then says click here to read story. I've already done that.

Guys who put stripes, fins, rims, and loud muffler on a civic or the like.

Fast food places that act like the people that actually go inside are a bother. This is most of them btw

Men that say vacy

Men that say sammiches

Men that order stuff on the side
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: