Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #106
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Well this made for an interesting read on a snowy morning here in the northeast.

"Fake" or "inflated", $2 wagered on a race is still $2 wagered on a race and at its most basic level, handle.

Top line its all the same, bottom line is a different story.

A discussion of margins would be more fruitful, but that information is not exactly readily available. A comparison of net revenue margins on handle across race tracks/companies and their respective "blend" would shine some light on things. Not all rebates are created equal and a lot depends on their client mix.
If additional handle does not contribute to purses paid to horsemen than it's "phoney." GP was able to dramatically increase its handle , yet its purse structure has not increased much; therefore, its either bogus or Stronach interests are somehow able to befool horsemen.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #107
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The only statistic I care about is how much do I get paid.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #108
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
If additional handle does not contribute to purses paid to horsemen than it's "phoney." GP was able to dramatically increase its handle , yet its purse structure has not increased much; therefore, its either bogus or Stronach interests are somehow able to befool horsemen.
Any idea of what their purse account looks like? I have no idea, but I would imagine they could have been in an overpayment situation prior to the increase in hande.

Are they running more races compared to before? Stakes boosted? The purse money is going to purses, how it is distributed I dont know since I do not follow Florida.

Comparing handle to how the purse money is distributed is a bit much. Handle is a wager. If it is a person, robot, or my dog Charlie on his Ipad placing the bet, it doesnt matter. Trying to say it is phoney or fake because the margins are low or you dont see where the purse money is a little off.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #109
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Any idea of what their purse account looks like? I have no idea, but I would imagine they could have been in an overpayment situation prior to the increase in hande.

Are they running more races compared to before? Stakes boosted? The purse money is going to purses, how it is distributed I dont know since I do not follow Florida.

Comparing handle to how the purse money is distributed is a bit much. Handle is a wager. If it is a person, robot, or my dog Charlie on his Ipad placing the bet, it doesnt matter. Trying to say it is phoney or fake because the margins are low or you dont see where the purse money is a little off.
Maybe a little off, but it was to make a point. It was stated Gulfstream is up more than everyone else is so bettors must not care about their shenanigans. Like most blanket statements in racing, this doesn't tell the whole story. If other tracks were using the same pricing model as Gulfstream, I'm sure their handle would be up as well. But there bottom line would not be. If pushed to the extreme, a track could take bets and knowingly LOSE money on the bets and still report this is handle.

So my point was saying handle is up, or good, by itself doesn't mean much at all. That is why I said it is phony or fake or whatever word I used. Just like the purse of the Pegasus is fake. You have to dig a little deeper than just reading press releases. I'm not sure why people are anxious to defend a track that is currently outright lying about the distance of its races, but whatever. That is horseplayers for you.

Last edited by cj; 01-04-2018 at 01:45 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #110
Denny
Veteran

Has anybody come across a head-on replay of the jockey falling and costing someone the Rainbow 6.

I still would like to see what made the horse veer ever so sharply. He'd already been struck several times before without reacting.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #111
Denny
Veteran

The Rainbow is now over 1.1 million.

There's something more to this story and I think Gulf is hiding it by not showing the complete head-on replay to the public.

But, maybe that's just me thinking that.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #112
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Has anybody come across a head-on replay of the jockey falling and costing someone the Rainbow 6.

I still would like to see what made the horse veer ever so sharply. He'd already been struck several times before without reacting.
I've seen it. It was the whip. I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but in this case there's nothing here unless you think the horse was also in on it.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #113
MutuelClerk

Quote:
The Rainbow is now over 1.1 million.

There's something more to this story and I think Gulf is hiding it by not showing the complete head-on replay to the public.

But, maybe that's just me thinking that.
We had a guy at our track yesterday play all/all/all/all/all/all in the Rainbow. Think it was 14,800. Tough day at the track when you hit the P6 and lose 10k.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #114
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I've seen it. It was the whip. I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but in this case there's nothing here unless you think the horse was also in on it.
I don't know CJ the horse isn't talking I assume he has lawyered up..
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #115
jdhanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Was the whip and then a bad step by the horse. I had the eventual winner so I was 'happy' (once I heard there were no injuries involved). But you can see clearly the horse takes a strange step to the side. At that speed, the jockey gets thrown - he is not expecting that and it is too fast/sudden to compensate. Have also seen it before.

A jockey would never purposefully fall off with a dozen horses coming behind him...might mean he dies (kick to the head etc which has happened).

Sometimes i think we forget they are horses not machines.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #116
Denny
Veteran

No jock would jump off like that. I wasn't trying to imply he did.
I was just wondering if something else spooked the horse.
Thanks.

He was actually lucky to be so far ahead when he fell. The others may have had a little more time to react. (Though he still did hurt.)

Not like what happened to Mike Venezia. He went off right in front of and next to Robbie's horse and there was no chance to avoid him.
I was watching with my binoculars from the 2nd floor of the grandstand and can still see it now in my mind.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #117
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover View Post
Was the whip and then a bad step by the horse. I had the eventual winner so I was 'happy' (once I heard there were no injuries involved). But you can see clearly the horse takes a strange step to the side. At that speed, the jockey gets thrown - he is not expecting that and it is too fast/sudden to compensate. Have also seen it before.

A jockey would never purposefully fall off with a dozen horses coming behind him...might mean he dies (kick to the head etc which has happened).

He actually tried to stay on by holding onto the horse's neck. 30 years ago a Northern California jockey named Nate Hubbard won a race by doing that.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #118
dilanesp

Quote:
No jock would jump off like that. I wasn't trying to imply he did.
I was just wondering if something else spooked the horse.
Thanks.

He was actually lucky to be so far ahead when he fell. The others may have had a little more time to react. (Though he still did hurt.)

Not like what happened to Mike Venezia. He went off right in front of and next to Robbie's horse and there was no chance to avoid him.
I was watching with my binoculars from the 2nd floor of the grandstand and can still see it now in my mind.
For some reason I still remember the names of the two horses involved in that: Drums in the Night and Mister Walter K.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #119
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover View Post

The reaction the whip was immediate. Whether the sudden move caused the rider to lose it or the horse also took a bad step I'm not sure.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #120
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
We had a guy at our track yesterday play all/all/all/all/all/all in the Rainbow. Think it was 14,800. Tough day at the track when you hit the P6 and lose 10k.
Knowing the way the RB6 is designed to pay, you gotta figure more often than not an "all" bet isn't going to get it done.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: