Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Capper Al

Turn Time

Turn Time is good for me to guess at form of cheaper horses, but does anyone here have another use for it?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
DRIVEWAY

Couple solid TT(wide comments) with Jockey change for value opportunities
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I like to see my closers begin their moves in the second fraction rather than wait until the stretch. I also use it to separate the front runners. Friday, that horse Pandy talked about at KEE in the 8th was deficient in F1, but he was outstanding in TT, so what looked like a bad break and a rush up really was how he runs.
His BRIS numbers for E1 and E2 were 100 114, so his TT was +14. Work All Week had a 107 - 115, +8 TT.

Two ratings I use TT in are BRIS LP + TT for turf races, and TT + E2 to look at early and pressers. That is an old Sartin Contender Factor.

Last edited by Tom; 10-05-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Turn Time is good for me to guess at form of cheaper horses, but does anyone here have another use for it?
Here's a link to a discussion and a neat little program:
http://www.thorotech.com/freestuff/turntime.html
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I like to see my closers begin their moves in the second fraction rather than wait until the stretch. I also use it to separate the front runners. Friday, that horse Pandy talked about at KEE in the 8th was deficient in F1, but he was outstanding in TT, so what looked like a bad break and a rush up really was how he runs.
His BRIS numbers for E1 and E2 were 100 114, so his TT was +14. Work All Week had a 107 - 115, +8 TT.

Two ratings I use TT in are BRIS LP + TT for turf races, and TT + E2 to look at early and pressers. That is an old Sartin Contender Factor.
Thanks Tom. These are the things that I'm trying to remember. Did Scott use second call(E2) + TT for his ability time?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Here's a link to a discussion and a neat little program:
http://www.thorotech.com/freestuff/turntime.html
That pretty much points to the conflicting camps, FPS vs Pace Pars. Right now I'm leaning towards Pace Pars because BRIS makes it so easy, E2 - E1. And my default is for pars unless proven otherwise. To be fair, I do use FPS to build an alternate speed figure which BRIS has beaten up in reviewing of a few hundred races.

Thanks

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

AL, I don't remember - I think it was that or close to it.....I'll have to look that up.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
That pretty much points to the conflicting camps, FPS vs Pace Pars. Right now I'm leaning towards Pace Pars because BRIS makes it so easy, E2 - E1. And my default is for pars unless proven otherwise. To be fair, I do use FPS to build an alternate speed figure which BRIS has beaten up in reviewing of a few hundred races.

Thanks
This is always a good idea to develop an alternative to verify a figure has validity since you're creating as an individual you need a way to ensure your method is valid.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
This is always a good idea to develop an alternative to verify a figure has validity since you're creating as an individual you need a way to ensure your method is valid.
I am confused by your post; what are validating or are your verifying?

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
I am confused by your post; what are validating or are your verifying?
Quote:

Thanks
I was responding that it was a good idea to have an alternative to using Pace Pars by using FPS to build an alternate speed figure. And, if the results provide similar results it would lend credence that both are valid. I always try to double check my work as I go along.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
ldiatone

Quote:
Thanks Tom. These are the things that I'm trying to remember. Did Scott use second call(E2) + TT for his ability time?
dick mitchell AT

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #12
Cratos

Quote:
I was responding that it was a good idea to have an alternative to using Pace Pars by using FPS to build an alternate speed figure. And, if the results provide similar results it would lend credence that both are valid. I always try to double check my work as I go along.
OK I understand; thanks for the clarification

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone
dick mitchell AT
Thanks

Anatole France

Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
Capper Al

Quote:
I guess that's why I keep them around.

Anatole France

Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

great thread

Always find TT in interesting and profitable angle.