Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: Which handicapping software has given you the best ROI?
Horse Street Handicapper 22 16.79%
HTR 25 19.08%
Jcapper 11 8.40%
Other 73 55.73%
Voters: 131. This poll is closed

Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
UnifiedTheory

Cool Thoughts on $95 Quick Horse/Free Data handicapping software?

Hi guys, I'm new to the thoroughbred handicapping scene and to this forum.

I've downloaded a free trial of the Quick Horse software (by Quick Reckoning) and I'm enjoying using it so far. The free database that goes back 5 years makes it unusual to say the least. Unfortunately the interface is small and rather ugly but it functions quickly and overall the software can be customized many different ways. It seems to have value but then again I have a lot to learn. (This software was first made available in 2003.)

I'm highly interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on Quick Horse and/or the viability of it's free data.

I'm glad to be a new member on this forum.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Review here...
https://download.cnet.com/QuickHorse...-10596953.html
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
UnifiedTheory

Thanks but I've seen CNET review & it's user reviews

Thanks Nutz & Boltz but I've already read those reviews. It was actually the second of the two user reviews which convinced me to give the product a try.

I appreciate your response.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified_Theory View Post

I've downloaded a free trial of the Quick Horse software (by Quick Reckoning) and I'm enjoying using it so far. The free database that goes back 5 years makes it unusual to say the least. Unfortunately the interface is small and rather ugly but it functions quickly and overall the software can be customized many different ways. It seems to have value but then again I have a lot to learn. (This software was first made available in 2003.)

I'm highly interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on Quick Horse and/or the viability of it's free data.

Pardon me, but you sound like a shill. And not just because your very first post is about this software (though that helps....a lot!)

From your post, we know that the software has a free trial AND a FREE DATABASE that goes back 5 years (has this been authorized by Equibase?) I didn't realize Equibase allowed software makers to include 5 years of data...luckily, Equibase posts and reads this board, so I'm sure they'll be able to verify.

We've also learned from your post that it's been around a long time (2003), so we can trust it's not some fly-by-night operation.

All in all, I'm betting you either own or work for the company in some regard.

No need to answer.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
thaskalos

Well...he did say that the interface is small and rather ugly...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
UnifiedTheory

Cool Really?

Wow I'm surprised by such negativity.

I get why you might think I'm a shill in a way but why would a shill say the interface is small and ugly or for that matter say he's so new to the scene he doesn't really know much about software at all?! Whatever, I'm new and I'm just trying to figure out my handicapping direction.

I became interested in handicapping thoroughbreds just five weeks ago. I spent three weeks primarily using Betmix (no I'm not paid to say that either) and I've spent the past two weeks using Quick Horse. I'm leaning heavily towards buying Horse Street Handicapper because of everything positive I've read about it.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I'm leaning heavily towards buying Horse Street Handicapper because of everything positive I've read about it.

Have a nice day.
Now you're talking!

Better hurry though. October 1st the price goes back to $1,597.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Wow I'm surprised by such negativity.

I get why you might think I'm a shill in a way but why would a shill say the interface is small and ugly or for that matter say he's so new to the scene he doesn't really know much about software at all?! Whatever, I'm new and I'm just trying to figure out my handicapping direction.

I became interested in handicapping thoroughbreds just five weeks ago. I spent three weeks primarily using Betmix (no I'm not paid to say that either) and I've spent the past two weeks using Quick Horse. I'm leaning heavily towards buying Horse Street Handicapper because of everything positive I've read about it.

Have a nice day.
Well, at least you get why I might think you're a shill...95% of the time, posts like that are just that...but maybe you're in the other 5%.

Either way, don't expect that free 5yrs of data to be given away much longer once Equibase sees that post.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

Welcome to Pace Advantage. Let's see what the top review says,

EDITORS' REVIEW BY DOWNLOAD.COM STAFF / JULY 21, 2010
Many people who go to the racetrack are casual gamblers, placing bets based on the horses' names or their lucky numbers. Then there are those who take handicapping a little more seriously. QuickHorse '10 Horse Racing Software is designed for those serious handicappers, and not only because it assumes that users already have a fundamental understanding of how horseracing and wagering works. We can imagine only the most hardcore racing fans taking the time to wade through this program's abstruse interface and difficult navigation.

The program was designed with neither form nor function in mind. All of the text is capitalized, and if that weren't hard enough to read, it's also displayed in several garish colors on a dark gray background. The program's navigation takes place entirely via the use of buttons, and since it's incapable of scrolling, some parts of the interface are inaccessible. More than once we found ourselves trapped in a part of the program that we couldn't get out of, with no choice but to shut it down and start over. To say that we were not impressed with the program's interface would be a grave understatement.

It's unfortunate that the program is so difficult to navigate, because it does seem to contain some useful features. Users can view both past performances and upcoming race cards, and while the program can download free information from Brisnet, it also supports the use of paid subscription sites for users who are already members. Users can employ a variety of predefined handicapping methods or enter a custom method, and the program will print tipsheets for the day's card. The online Help file--which opens automatically in Internet Explorer regardless of whether it's your default browser-- is fairly detailed, and does a decent enough job of explaining the program to those who are patient enough to use it. Overall, though, we don't think that QuickHorse is easy to use enough for us to recommend.

So you're new to handicapping and this review, the top one, gave you confidence? According to that web site you linked, this software was released August 2018, but maybe that's just the latest version?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #10
CheckMark

Welcome to Pace Advantage! In a HONEST REVIEW I think you should not buy that software. Tried and was difficult to put in the work for all the different categories that the software offered and if you want to check out my results for it I did use it recently at Belmont and found only 2 winners and a few place horses. It’s up to you if you want to put in the work for it but if you want to try a much better software, you should try RDSS. Ted and I have went back a forth for all the questions I had and I have had success with it too! Again, up to you man!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Pardon me, but you sound like a shill. And not just because your very first post is about this software (though that helps....a lot!)

From your post, we know that the software has a free trial AND a FREE DATABASE that goes back 5 years (has this been authorized by Equibase?) I didn't realize Equibase allowed software makers to include 5 years of data...luckily, Equibase posts and reads this board, so I'm sure they'll be able to verify.

We've also learned from your post that it's been around a long time (2003), so we can trust it's not some fly-by-night operation.

All in all, I'm betting you either own or work for the company in some regard.

No need to answer.
BIG MOUTH!!!!!

Now for sure the Data Police is coming

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (75.5 KB, 17 views)
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Either way, don't expect that free 5yrs of data to be given away much longer once Equibase sees that post.
They've been around a long time. Maybe they create their own database from result charts?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
Mr.XXX

I use this... and have used practically all commercial software out there.
OP not shilling.
Program scrapes free data and gives it away as database... guy makes his own pars n variants. Or you can use Bris data(or the jcapper version).
Program has everything other programs have, BUT requires a lot of digging thru and tinkering. A steep learning curve. Then again, it's practically free. I Use it along with TIMEFORM. Nothing else needed... IF you thoroughly scour and learn it.
You can do database queries, sartin pace, form charting, etc.
Buutttt you have to spend time and force yourself to dig through it.
Different things work at different tracks.
It's a stick shift, but if you learn it, you can do things other programs can't.
If you use it casually without learning the details and features, you will lose money and blame the program.
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I use this... and have used practically all commercial software out there.
OP not shilling.
Program scrapes free data and gives it away as database... guy makes his own pars n variants. Or you can use Bris data(or the jcapper version).
Program has everything other programs have, BUT requires a lot of digging thru and tinkering. A steep learning curve. Then again, it's practically free. I Use it along with TIMEFORM. Nothing else needed... IF you thoroughly scour and learn it.
You can do database queries, sartin pace, form charting, etc.
Buutttt you have to spend time and force yourself to dig through it.
Different things work at different tracks.
It's a stick shift, but if you learn it, you can do things other programs can't.
If you use it casually without learning the details and features, you will lose money and blame the program.
Can you export all their data to a spreadsheet?
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
BIG MOUTH!!!!!

Now for sure the Data Police is coming
Look man, I didn't create this thread. Blame the OP.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: