Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #76
pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
I have tested the new ratings that I have added to Handifast and they seem to work fine. This (new) version includes replacing the WK and RK columns with C-C, P-S, and PWR, and adds an additional weighted rating to the FAST number.

What does this all mean? The C-C, P-S, and PWR are modified versions of the class-consistency, pace-speed, and power ratings found in Mitchell's Winning Thoroughbred Strategies book. (I have always been partial to that book as it was the first one that I read that put handicapping into perspective for me.) The C-C rating is based on EPS, Win%, and ITM%; P-S is a combined early pace and final speed rating. They are both based on 60 (low) to 100 (high) scale, and only compare the horses running in that particular race. In other words, a 90 rating in one race is NOT comparable to a 90 (or a 75 or 93) in another. The PWR rating is simply a weighted combination of the C-C and P-S ratings based on race distance.

The adding rating to the FAST number seems to move up horses' rankings for horses other than those in the win slot. So, you might find more likely underneath contenders for exacta, trifecta, and superfecta plays. It does not seem to improve the FAST fig for win contenders. (Again, testing was done on a small sample of races.)

I will make this version (now called FAST HHX v1) available to those who want it. I changed the name so as not to interfere with the current Handifast version (8.6.1). To get this to work, extract (unzip) the files to a separate folder from FAST. Rename the HandifastHHXv1.zzz file to HandifastHHXv1.exe. Then just double-click the exe file and it should run fine. If you prefer this version over 8.6.1, then yes it can be incorporated into FAST by using the same steps that were used to get 8.6.1 to work.

For those of you that requested 8.6.1 previously, just send me an email if you would like this version. I will be busy for the majority of the late morning/early afternoon, but I will send it out as soon as I can.

Are we still talking about handifast X
Imgetting a bit mixed up
pat is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #77
headhawg
crusty old guy

oh-oh.....

Yeah, I was a bit concerned that this might happen. Ok, there is Doug's version of FAST. He started this project, but there were a couple of things that he wanted in his program that he has yet to implement. So, Handiman wrote his version of FAST that has been dubbed Handifast which is a separate but integrated program that allows for easy scratches and the sorting of figs, something that Doug has not yet gotten to in FAST. There were some bugs in Handifast, and as I knew the programming language that it was coded in, I volunteered to help orkin those. I thought that I would help out while Handi was taking care of his health situation.

In the very first post of this thread, there is a link to download FAST version X which also includes Handifast (which I believe is v8.5.5). The things that I fixed from that version were mostly the crash bugs, but I also added some things that I thought would be helpful. You can also now use Handifast for up to 14 races for tracks like TDN/RD. With all of those fixes, I changed the version of Handifast to v8.6.1 to indicate the progress. Doug has been very busy with his real job and has not been able to post a version of FAST that incorporates the fixed version of Handifast. So, I posted that I would send the upgraded version to those who wanted it, and provided steps to be able to use it with Doug's FAST program in order to replace the older, buggy version.

The last "new" version is Handifast HHX v1 which just stands for Head Hawg eXperimental to distinguish it from the Handifast version that most people are familiar with. As I posted, it is v8.6.1 that also includes a power rating and a modified version of the FAST fig, and loses the WK and RK ratings mainly so that it fits nicely on my screen. This is something that I did for myself, but I thought that I would make it available for those who wanted it with the caveat that it should be used as a stand alone program.

So now that I have confused people (as I was afraid that I might do), I won't do any more of my own versions. Handi is working on his ideas and should progress in that manner as they sound great. It's going to be impossible to please everyone anyway, and this is all a volunteer project made possible by Doug and Handiman. So just get out there and use it, whatever version you choose.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #78
AAcoolguy

All versions

I think I have all of the versions available and they are all working just fine ,operationally that is, ROI wise is another story. I was doing well at the start of DMR but steadily went down after a couple weeks. I think because, again, I can't stop switching methods. If I had the time I would run everything I have and see which version works best for me, but like everyone else, real jobs and real life get in the way. I guess that is the best advertisement for record keeping.
AAcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #79
douglasw32
douglasw32

Quote:
Sounds great, Doug! Can't wait to see it. Will you also be telling us something about only three EZ payments of $29.95?
I like the joke, but never, that is not my style =)
Old 09-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #80
douglasw32
douglasw32

I am almost done "tinkering" I have said that before.

But now with these three new numbers in handifast hhx I just can not resist seeing what happens if I throw that in.

I guess for regrouping, I would just love to see handifast include my new version of the fast number but I am afraid it may not work as well as what is there?

Like the post above by acool it would be great to figure out what one works best but so hard to do.

I know I have been using just the improved fast summary (That I swear I will find time to post tomorrow)

And "By hand" systematically choosing 2 horses to conditionally bet at odds of even or better 30 sec to post and I have NEVER done better.

My dream I guess would be to have handi, take what hh has done throw into it what I have done with the fast figure, lose my old way of weighing them with 10/15/20 etc and instead do what I am doing now by hand to list the top 4, if I could have it make sense when explained... and be able to print all of them, via the csv export instead of just "on screen" since I travel for my day job and I am used to emailing the summary sheet to myself.

Then we would only have ONE version again, all in liberty basic, open source code with most of the ideas posted on the forum that started it all incorporated into it.

Then all of the tinkering could be left up to the individual through the CSV export.

BTW- I tried the program as is replacing the bris / tsn data with beyers and adjusting to put on the scale of bris numbers and it just tanks it ...

I like the allure of beyers method but find it fails to bris's

anyway back to the summary sheet...I would not need it if one version kicked out the top 4 the way I have it now since I would just bet the top 2 listed conditionally for the key race types I use (Mainly no MDN, 2yo's, or claimers)

thoughts on how to proceed.

For now I will post my fix, since it can still be used in conjunction with hh update that handi has in his hands now.

But handi- if you choose to accept the mission..you would need to leaf through my sloppy VB code and figure out what the heck I changed since I could not begin to tell you. I just know it is working great.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #81
Roger
Veteran

HandifastHHX

Headhawg...I went ahead and created a separate folder in c:/ and named it HandifastHHX. I then extracted the files to that new folder and renamed the HANDIFASTV1ZZZ file to HANDIFASTHHXv1.EXE. when clicking on the EXE file I get a box saying .....File not found: HandifastHHXv1.exeTKN...What have I done wrong?
Gotta be something stupid on my part!

Thank's
Roger,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #82
headhawg
crusty old guy

Roger,

The important thing is to have the .tkn and .exe files named to the same program name. It sounds to me as if there might be a typo when it was renamed.

The files that I send out were named HandifastHHXv1.zzz and HandifastHHXv1.tkn. The difference in the names are, of course, the file extensions. Just double-check to see if upon renaming the .zzz file is named to match the first part of the .tkn file -- HandifastHHXv1.exe. All that really needs to be done is that .zzz needs to be changed to .exe. The reason that I send it with the .zzz is that some email providers will block the forwarding of .exe files (even when zipped) as it gets treated as a potential virus.

Also, don't forget the period between the program name and the exe. I think that may be the cause of the error message.

HH
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #83
csmith

Quote:
Roger,

The important thing is to have the .tkn and .exe files named to the same program name. It sounds to me as if there might be a typo when it was renamed.

The files that I send out were named HandifastHHXv1.zzz and HandifastHHXv1.tkn. The difference in the names are, of course, the file extensions. Just double-check to see if upon renaming the .zzz file is named to match the first part of the .tkn file -- HandifastHHXv1.exe. All that really needs to be done is that .zzz needs to be changed to .exe. The reason that I send it with the .zzz is that some email providers will block the forwarding of .exe files (even when zipped) as it gets treated as a potential virus.

Also, don't forget the period between the program name and the exe. I think that may be the cause of the error message.

HH

Same thing here HH. I can't get it to work and I have renamed the files as exactly as you said. I will keep working on it on my end.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #84
headhawg
crusty old guy

Guys,

If you did everything right and Handifast HHX still doesn't work it's because I forgot to include a file that needs to be in the folder. I am sending that file out to you. Just put in the the folder where you unzipped the other files to. It should only affect the program if you use the download feature. Sorry.

Let me know if there are still problems as it works fine on my end.

D'oh!

HH

Last edited by headhawg; 09-12-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #85
douglasw32
douglasw32

Works fine for me, the one you sent...maybe send that to them
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #86
headhawg
crusty old guy

csmith has a weird permission issue and it's not even Vista! hehe There is no extra security involved with the zip file that I sent out, but for some reason Windows is preventing him from running it. (Not the unzip program, but Handifast.) Very strange as XP allows the reading of files by default for all users, and also lets them create new files, like the horse.dat and race.dat files from Handifast.

If this is happening to others, please let me know.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #87
Roger
Veteran

Headhawg ..The new files you sent did the trick...Works Great. Doug, Handi and Headhawg thank's for a great Program, What a collaboration you guys have done.

Roger,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #88
Handiman
BarelyWinning

It gets even better...at least I think so. I've never been one to be able to keep a secret so here is what I'm working on.....Handifast with headhawg's new mitchel numbers and program will work off just the main screen. losing the little blue box to load track and races.

That will be done in upper right corner of main screen, with the ability to play 5 tracks simultaneously moving from one to the other with just one button click.

There will be a summary print option to printer. Once this is all done, I will then put together the ability to print to csv file.

Doug,

If you will send me the sourcefile and at least a heads up as to how you are getting your new fast number I will try and put it in the version that will have csv ability.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #89
douglasw32
douglasw32

You got it
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #90
douglasw32
douglasw32

Quote:
csmith has a weird permission issue and it's not even Vista! hehe There is no extra security involved with the zip file that I sent out, but for some reason Windows is preventing him from running it. (Not the unzip program, but Handifast.) Very strange as XP allows the reading of files by default for all users, and also lets them create new files, like the horse.dat and race.dat files from Handifast.

If this is happening to others, please let me know.
Might be this..

http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: