Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
SkunkApe

Letruska in the Azeri Stakes

Azeri Stakes at Oaklawn on Saturday.

Small field, but high quality and very interesting to me.

Seems to me like if no one goes with Letruska, she wins. But who is willing to do it?

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...n-azeri-stakes
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #2
taxicab

Letruska is a win machine.........can never knock a 12 for 16 horse.
It looks like she's actually gotten better since the blinkers were removed two back.
She'll definitely be on the lead Saturday........Rosario has been sending his stock hard early lately......with great success.
She'll be up at least 3 @ the half.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #3
Half Smoke

I prefer the #1 Envoutante

although only a slight difference in the Equibase speed figures Envoutante finished 8.5 furlongs at Remington more than 1.5 seconds faster than Letruska covered 8.5 at Sam Houston

since I'm somewhat not trusting of speed figures that has some meaning for me

I also like the fact that Envoutante showed power in her last outing - a G2 at Churchill at 9 furlongs covering the last furlong in a flat 12 seconds and earning the comment "quick spurt up"

caveat: I'm not always right

Last edited by Half Smoke; 03-12-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
SkunkApe

I had the pleasure of watching Letruska win at Sam Houston in late January. My single in the pick 5.

Hang on, Sloopy
Sloopy, hang on
Old 03-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
NikeUnlimited

Stupid ride with the way the track is playing today. Of course, he was super aggressive in the rebel.
NikeUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
SkunkApe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeUnlimited View Post
Stupid ride with the way the track is playing today. Of course, he was super aggressive in the rebel.
I had the same thought.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
classhandicapper

She ran really well, but I didn't like the ride on her at all. The winner broke really well and got the jump on her, but he kind of gave up and chose to rate sooner then he had to. He could have pushed and still grabbed the lead before the turn. It wasn't very likely he was going to close down Shedaresthedevil.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-15-2021 at 01:44 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
She ran really well, but I didn't like the ride on her at all. The winner broke really well and got the jump on her, but he kind of gave up and chose to rate sooner then he had to. He could have pushed and still grabbed the lead before the turn. It wasn't very likely he was going to close down Shedaresthedevil.
With due respect. You guys talk about rides as though it's a video game. SHEDARESTHEDEVIL beat the gate. LETRUSKA was half a beat slow. It's a very short run into the first turn at Oaklawn. If he tried to make the lead he either fouls SHEDARESTHEDEVIL or gets dropped. Races can be won or lost in the first 50 feet or even less. I thought LETRUSKA'S race was phenomenal. Rosario did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Don't forget she was also carrying high weight of 124. Two very good mares. Both of which will be more than 5 or 6 to one if they try the two biggest mamma jamma's MONOMOY GIRL and SWISS SKYDIVER in the Apple Blossom. That's a race I'd pay to see.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
With due respect. You guys talk about rides as though it's a video game. SHEDARESTHEDEVIL beat the gate. LETRUSKA was half a beat slow. It's a very short run into the first turn at Oaklawn. If he tried to make the lead he either fouls SHEDARESTHEDEVIL or gets dropped. Races can be won or lost in the first 50 feet or even less. I thought LETRUSKA'S race was phenomenal. Rosario did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Don't forget she was also carrying high weight of 124. Two very good mares. Both of which will be more than 5 or 6 to one if they try the two biggest mamma jamma's MONOMOY GIRL and SWISS SKYDIVER in the Apple Blossom. That's a race I'd pay to see.
Letruska has also been a different horse without blinkers, not as speed crazy and headstrong. While she didn't win the race, I think this is a good development for her and thought she ran one of her better races on Saturday.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
classhandicapper

Quote:
I mentioned that Shedaresthedevil beat her out of the gate, but imo he sort of committed to not even trying for the lead before it got tighter as they got closer to the turn. I'll watch it again. I think both ran terrific, but that race was close to over once Shedaresthedevil had a loose lead without really earning it. I was actually surprised Letruska made such a good run at her late. I think CJ is right that the blinkers off have been a plus for her.

Swiss Skydiver vs Monomoy Girl is a matchup I can't wait to see. The connections of Swiss Skydiver were very sporting to take on boys twice and keep her running straight through the year. It was a real throwback season. But I think she may have been a little over the top in the BC even though she had a rough start and got cut on the hoof. They had Monomoy Girl primed to peak on that day. The eventual rematch will be interesting if they are both at their best.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-15-2021 at 05:43 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 04:48 AM   #11
Half Smoke

Quote:
if they try the two biggest mamma jamma's MONOMOY GIRL and SWISS SKYDIVER in the Apple Blossom.

I have this fantastic idea for this race when it happens

how about a 2 horse exacta box with Swiss Skydiver and Monomoy Girl?

I'm always thinkin'

................................................(~:\
Old 03-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
stuball

Thumbs up Yes

I hope they do it.. my heart will be with Swiss Skydiver she was the best last year every race she ran. I did not know she cut her hoof in the BC.. She is all heart all heart I don't usually love a horse -- just bet on them -- but she is different what is the date they might run -- want to put it on my calendar
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball View Post
I hope they do it.. my heart will be with Swiss Skydiver she was the best last year every race she ran. I did not know she cut her hoof in the BC.. She is all heart all heart I don't usually love a horse -- just bet on them -- but she is different what is the date they might run -- want to put it on my calendar
The $1,000,000 Grade 1 Apple Blossom Handicap will be run at Oaklawn Park on Saturday April 17th.

Quote from Kenny McPeek....

"Maybe we'll go hunt Monomoy Girl now—we'll see," McPeek said.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #14
NikeUnlimited

In the words of Nate Diaz... "I'm not surprised!". Had to come back with this horse after that stupid ride last time.
NikeUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

Lesson reiterated to the rider of Monomoy: RIDE to JUST past the wire, don't ease up or you will often get NAILED

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: