Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #46
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

hcap.....the great uniter?!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #47
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Honest question, what would you like to know about the Vegas massacre?

For me it was a Vegas frequenting rich white dude with a likely crap ton of points for his hotel of choice that was angry at the world for no reason.

He was able to get a couple of door to door rooms at a top level and bring in bags of artillery over several hours. He was just their normal customer bringing in stuff.

The guy was bat s**t crazy.

He could have easily rented a van and ran over several hundred people that night. I think it is amazing that the vast majority of people avoided death and serious injury that dreadful night.

For me, I don't want to make sense for that horrific night. There is no sense. Lone crazy people disconnected from the world are always going to be hard to find.
The Vegas shooter could have simply had some kind of underlying neurological disease that manifested itself as some sort of disinhibition disorder. Maybe it involved frontal cortex degradation and an overact amygdala? This is what Huntington's Disease does -- that's the disease that killed Woody Guthrie. Or it could have been stress. Or depression. Or... it's complex.

Robert Sapolsky, a neuroendocrinologist, is the best lecturer I have ever heard. This excellent 15 minute TED Talk by him will help shed some light on why humans sometimes exhibit horrible behavior. To understand behavior you have to understand what was going on a second earlier and everything that has happened to that person's genome in the past million years. It's all connected and it is complex.

highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #48
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
The Vegas shooter could have simply had some kind of underlying neurological disease that manifested itself as some sort of disinhibition disorder. Maybe it involved frontal cortex degradation and an overact amygdala? This is what Huntington's Disease does -- that's the disease that killed Woody Guthrie. Or it could have been stress. Or depression. Or... it's complex.

Robert Sapolsky, a neuroendocrinologist, is the best lecturer I have ever heard. This excellent 15 minute TED Talk by him will help shed some light on why humans sometimes exhibit horrible behavior. To understand behavior you have to understand what was going on a second earlier and everything that has happened to that person's genome in the past million years. It's all connected and it is complex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORthzIOEf30

I'll make it short for you.

Nobody liked him, he was an introvert and decided he'd somehow take out all his haters in a single instance.

His parents shunned him, he had a horrific childhood, and high school was awful for him.

We need better parents.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #49
highnote

Quote:
I'll make it short for you.

Nobody liked him, he was an introvert and decided he'd somehow take out all his haters in a single instance.

His parents shunned him, he had a horrific childhood, and high school was awful for him.

We need better parents.
Sapolsky talked about this in his TED speech at the 8:30 mark. There is a gene called "MAO Alpha". If you have a variant of this gene you are more likely to commit social violence if, and only if, you were abused as a child.

How many people have the variant of this gene and were abused as a child?

The early stages of Huntington's Disease can produce similar anti-social violent behavior in people who were otherwise perfectly normal their entire life.

Sometimes, biology is part of the problem. Take the Colorado movie shooter. He obviously had a severe mental illness. Has anyone suggested it was a deep state conspiracy that caused him to kill? The same with the Vegas shooter. There might be biological causes. We may never know the true reason. Your brain will always find an answer to any question even if the answer is false. I suspect that is why there are conspiracy theories. If the brain can't find the answer it makes one up.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #50
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Sapolsky talked about this in his TED speech at the 8:30 mark. There is a gene called "MAO Alpha". If you have a variant of this gene you are more likely to commit social violence if, and only if, you were abused as a child.

How many people have the variant of this gene and were abused as a child?

The early stages of Huntington's Disease can produce similar anti-social violent behavior in people who were otherwise perfectly normal their entire life.

Sometimes, biology is part of the problem. Take the Colorado movie shooter. He obviously had a severe mental illness. Has anyone suggested it was a deep state conspiracy that caused him to kill? The same with the Vegas shooter. There might be biological causes. We may never know the true reason. Your brain will always find an answer to any question even if the answer is false. I suspect that is why there are conspiracy theories. If the brain can't find the answer it makes one up.
I listened to the entire thing.

The bearded dude just wanted to throw out big words and bullshit. Would he dig into downtown Baltimore and fix things? Hell no. He is an outsider of the problem and thinks is so incredibly intelligent to ever fix any problem.

He is a nobody. He has never fixed anything in his life. I fix shit every day of my life. That is what I do. I add value to my society and this asshat Phd from nowherevlille just rambles on about nothing of nothing.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 08-03-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #51
highnote

Quote:
I listened to the entire thing.

The bearded dude just wanted to throw out big words and bullshit. Would he dig into downtown Baltimore and fix things? Hell no. He is an outsider of the problem and thinks is so incredibly intelligent to ever fix any problem.

He is a nobody. He has never fixed anything in his life. I fix shit every day of my life. That is what I do. I add value to my society and this asshat Phd from nowherevlille just rambles on about nothing of nothing.
I've listened to about half of his 20 some lectures from his Stanford University course. They're free online at youtube if anyone wants to listen to them. I find them very interesting.

Everyone has a role in life. He specializes in neuroendocrinology. He is an educator and researcher that studies behavior. The job of a scientist is to search for truth and contribute to the body of knowledge. Every once in a while a genius like Newton or Einstein comes along and combines elements from various disciplines and creates a major breakthrough. But those breakthroughs happen with the help of others. I think it was Newton who said, "If I have seen far, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."

His work is just as valid as anyone else's. Whether a person is a doctor or a street cleaner, all jobs are noble.

You know, there is a guy whose job it is to wash the penis of a thoroughbred stallion before it is bred to a mare. Breeding racehorses is purely a fashion business, but that penis washer performs a valuable service for someone.

Last edited by highnote; 08-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:56 PM   #52
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
I've listened to about half his lectures from his Stanford University course. They're free online if anyone wants to listen to them. I find them very interesting.

Everyone has a role in life. He specializes in neuroendocrinology. He is an educator and researcher that studies behavior. The job of a scientist is to contribute to the body of knowledge. Every once in awhile a genius like Newton or Einstein comes along and combines elements from various disciplines and creates a major breakthrough. But those breakthrough happen with the help of others. I think it was Newton who said, "If I have seen far, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."

His work is just as valid as anyone else's. Whether a person is a doctor or a street cleaner, all jobs are noble.

You know, there is a guy whose job it is to wash the penis of a thoroughbred stallion before it is bred to a mare. Breeding racehorses is purely a fashion business, but that penis washer performs a valuable service for someone.

OK. What do you want me to fix for you in your life that is so ruined?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #53
highnote

Quote:
OK. What do you want me to fix for you in your life that is so ruined?
Let me think about it. What is your specialty?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 PM   #54
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Let me think about it. What is your specialty?

I can do everything.

You can PM if you feel the need.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 08-03-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #55
highnote

Quote:
I can do everything.
I don't want to waste your talents on a lot of petty bullshit, so I'll give a worthy one.

I am struggling with fixing the problems between Jews and Palestinians in the Middle East. Can you solve that for me?

Last edited by highnote; 08-03-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:15 PM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

IF you need to warm up first, I have a gate with a broken hinge that needs fixing.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #57
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to waste your talents on a lot of petty bullshit, so I'll give a worthy one.

I am struggling with fixing the problems between Jews and Palestinians in the Middle East. Can you solve that for me?

OK, what would you like me to do?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #58
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
IF you need to warm up first, I have a gate with a broken hinge that needs fixing.

Bad operator.

What cost would be appropriate for you?
Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #59
highnote

Quote:
OK, what would you like me to do?
There is a bigger problem that needs fixed. May as well go all the way. I would like world peace. Please fix the world so that there is no more war and violence.

But you can fix Tom's gate first if you want.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #60
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
There is nothing more to report.

A crazy-assed middle-aged white guy holed up in a couple of tower rooms in a Vegas hotel with the sole intent to kill as many people as possible.

He was batshit crazy.
Videos show him bringing in duffle bags of 'things' for over 2 days.

He has was a loner. A gambler. And paid for his wife. Stone cold degenerate with money. What else do we really need to know?
Does not fit the normal pattern of "bat shit" crazy at all.

In fact, every single semi-addicted gambler I know who has money (and they say he had money) lives to do only one thing, and that is NOT kill a buncha people out his hotel window with a stockpile of weapons fit for a small army.

No, the only thing they live to do is make another bet and live the "comped" life.

It's a bullshit story all around.

I'd put more stock into him working as a CIA contractor and this being a gun buy with a terrorist cell gone way wrong, before I believe for one second this guy suddenly woke up and snapped one day.

The official story (what little of it there actually is) makes absolutely ZERO sense.