Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
mattd0221

Advice for a new handicapper

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to horse betting in general. I've done it a few times, but I was just sort of picking horses at random and a few selections I found from this forum. I really enjoy it and I'd like to learn more what I should be looking for and the best way to learn about the horses. Any help or explanations of how you got started would be appreciated.
mattd0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
1ejp

http://www.amazon.com/Handicapping-1.../dp/1932910808

http://www1.drf.com/products/learn/h...et-horses.html

I would start with a good book and DRF's tutorials.

Last edited by 1ejp; 03-04-2014 at 10:44 PM.
1ejp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
mattd0221

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ejp
Any recommendations on a good starter book? I understand the sport already, I'm just looking for ways to look for better picks and learn more about the horses themselves.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
Clocker

I would also recommend that book for a starter. Others will be along and advise you not to read any books, just figure it out by yourself. That's the equivalent of flying to Athens and hanging out on a street corner to learn Greek.

You are going to need how to read past performances (PPs). I would recommend that you start with those from Brisnet. Their basic PPs cost $1 a card, while the more traditional Daily Racing Form PPs cost $2.95. The Brisnet web site has good tutorials on their PPs. go to the site and click on "Library".
Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
mattd0221

Thanks for the replies. I've got a question. Did you guys focus on one race track at first and get to know the horses or just jump right in with all of the tracks?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd0221
Any recommendations on a good starter book? I understand the sport already, I'm just looking for ways to look for better picks and learn more about the horses themselves.
Here is your starter book, Matt. You can get it for about $4 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Recreational-H...l+handicapping
Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Greyfox

The famous Russian scientist Ivan Pavlov, yes the man with the salivating dog, had written above his laboratory door:

"OBSERVE AND OBSERVE"

I would add to that "READ AND READ"

Proceed with caution into this sport, but do proceed.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I've got a question. Did you guys focus on one race track at first and get to know the horses or just jump right in with all of the tracks?
I follow one circuit and recommend that you start out that way as well.
A circuit is a few tracks in close proximity to one another that share the racing calendar (except for Florida ). For example, the major NY circuit is Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga. These tracks do not overlap, but some circuits have two tracks running simultaneously.
Horses and trainers basically move from one track to the next as one meet ends and another begins.

Some members here will not advise sticking to one circuit, so you will have to feel your way on that one....but I do recommend it when you are just starting out.
I believe it benefits you in two ways:
First, you will learn patience and avoid the danger of firing in a bet every 10mins while looking at 3-4 tracks. The 25mins between races at your track give you time to refine your plays, watch the odds board, and hopefully get a look at the horses you intend to bet.
Second, I believe it forces you to become multi-dimensional as a handicapper. By following one circuit you will become familiar with trainer habits and some quirks about the horses & even the track itself. You can't help it if you are doing your homework and paying attention. Suddenly, you have a well rounded game.

Finally - watch every single race at your home circuit that you can, but only bet a few of them.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 03-05-2014 at 12:52 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Make sure you read this thread

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111325
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour

Some members here will not advise sticking to one circuit, so you will have to feel your way on that one....but I do recommend it when you are just starting out.
Ditto. Which generally means one track at a time. Read books (two good ones already recommended here), learn to read and fully understand past performances, watch the races, even bet one once in a while. Then go back and look at the PPs of the races and try to figure out what happened and why.

Rinse and repeat.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #11
letswastemoney

You don't need to pay for most BRIS PPs, if you can figure out how the free website categorizes them by trainers and sires.

http://horseracing.about.com/od/race...aafree-pps.htm
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to horse betting in general. I've done it a few times, but I was just sort of picking horses at random and a few selections I found from this forum. I really enjoy it and I'd like to learn more what I should be looking for and the best way to learn about the horses. Any help or explanations of how you got started would be appreciated.
If you want to "learn the horses" you need to watch replays, lots of them. The key to getting better is observation, the more you watch, the more time you spend, the more questions you ask yourself as you're watching tapes, the better you will become.

Its a game of information and the information i'm talking about is information that you generate yourself.

And yes, stick to your "home circuit" for the time being.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
pondman

I would collect data for six month on one track. Have a reasonable idea as to how a track plays. And then decide on your position. Do you want to play many races and take short prices? Or do you want to hunt and wait for the big game? You need to take a position and become an expert. The best of the players run their game as a business. They know their banking requirements.

Once you master one track, and can make money, add another. You'll find they are all different. There is nothing generic. And you'll find there are types of races you can beat, so you've got to stay with what works.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
mattd0221

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I follow one circuit and recommend that you start out that way as well.
A circuit is a few tracks in close proximity to one another that share the racing calendar (except for Florida ). For example, the major NY circuit is Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga. These tracks do not overlap, but some circuits have two tracks running simultaneously.
Horses and trainers basically move from one track to the next as one meet ends and another begins.

I believe it benefits you in two ways:
First, you will learn patience and avoid the danger of firing in a bet every 10mins while looking at 3-4 tracks. The 25mins between races at your track give you time to refine your plays, watch the odds board, and hopefully get a look at the horses you intend to bet.
Second, I believe it forces you to become multi-dimensional as a handicapper. By following one circuit you will become familiar with trainer habits and some quirks about the horses & even the track itself. You can't help it if you are doing your homework and paying attention. Suddenly, you have a well rounded game.

Finally - watch every single race at your home circuit that you can, but only bet a few of them.
Thanks. I'm mostly working during the day so the main tracks I'd want to play would be on the weekend only. Charlestown and Delta are the tracks that are running during the week at times I'd be betting. Are those tracks on any circuits or just on their own? Either of those tracks I should stay away from?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Here is your starter book, Matt. You can get it for about $4 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Recreational-H...l+handicapping
I agree and also highly recommend this book for you as well. IMO I think you should concentrate on one track/circuit for starters. AQU/BEL/SAR would be a very good circuit to start. Quality racing and getting to know the horses, trainers etc. would get you on the path I think you are looking for.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply