Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
rupiefied

first day of handicapping how it went.

So I went to the track did a lot of studying and learned a lot. The first time I went to the track I didn't do any handicapping at all. Most horses I choose came in last. This trip all of my favorites at least came in third.

My mistake was betting a lot of box trifectas and box Exactas. Had I just stuck to betting show on all my favorite I would have won every bet. Sure I wouldn't be making a lot but I wouldn't be losing. The funniest bets for me were the pick three and pick four and pick five. I usually choose my top two horses on each race hit two out of three a lot I think I have a shot at hitting one of those in the next few times at the track.

Plus I bought a nice looking fedora too so I didn't lose everything
rupiefied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
cashmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupiefied
It counts as half the way toward becoming professional handicapper . You are almost there .
cashmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
rupiefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmachine
It counts as half the way toward becoming professional handicapper . You are almost there .
Gotta look the part right?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Rupie;

The Fedora probably looks great on you, so it was a wise purchase.

Handicapping is a process. You'll most likely migrate your selection process over the years, and you'll probably change Capping method as well.

Personally, I don't usually place Show bets unless there is a large Show pool i.e., a Bridgejumper. I frequently bet to Win. I will wager a Place and Exacta on occasion, and I do sometimes Box if I can't quite decide on exact order, but like two or three horses at the wire. I hit two Exactas at Beulah last week and it was because I boxed them. I'm not advocating that, just happened to hit both out of order, but the box won for me on both.

Many here will advise to start looking at Win bets. Pick horses you think will win. However, the choice is YOURS. YOU have to decide how YOU will Wager. It sounds like you are having fun. Enjoy the learning process and the wagering.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
rupiefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
Rupie;

The Fedora probably looks great on you, so it was a wise purchase.

Handicapping is a process. You'll most likely migrate your selection process over the years, and you'll probably change Capping method as well.

Personally, I don't usually place Show bets unless there is a large Show pool i.e., a Bridgejumper. I frequently bet to Win. I will wager a Place and Exacta on occasion, and I do sometimes Box if I can't quite decide on exact order, but like two or three horses at the wire. I hit two Exactas at Beulah last week and it was because I boxed them. I'm not advocating that, just happened to hit both out of order, but the box won for me on both.

Many here will advise to start looking at Win bets. Pick horses you think will win. However, the choice is YOURS. YOU have to decide how YOU will Wager. It sounds like you are having fun. Enjoy the learning process and the wagering.

I am having fun. I can get hours and hours of betting unlike other gambling I have done. I am taking all my time I used to play video games in and doing this, I don't need the great reflexes I used to have to play horses.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
limit2

The book titled, "Betting Horses For Dummies" might be an interesting read for you. I started reading it yesterday even though I am a seasoned turf watcher.
limit2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
fmolf

Quote:
I am having fun. I can get hours and hours of betting unlike other gambling I have done. I am taking all my time I used to play video games in and doing this, I don't need the great reflexes I used to have to play horses.
we need to get more new and younger people in the game...do not get discouraged....i like to bet win and sometimes place in larger fields only.the way i bet exactas is i play win horse over 2 or 3 horses then reverse it and put win horse underneath for half the amt....I would stick with win bets and exactas till you get better at handicapping.tri,s are harder to hit have a higher takeout and can get frustrating....50cent p 3,s are another cheap exotic that may be fun to play for you.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Mystic

I highly recommend the book "Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steven Davidowitz

Good luck and may you many profitable years ahead.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 AM   #9
Some_One

Quote:
So I went to the track did a lot of studying and learned a lot. The first time I went to the track I didn't do any handicapping at all. Most horses I choose came in last. This trip all of my favorites at least came in third.

My mistake was betting a lot of box trifectas and box Exactas. Had I just stuck to betting show on all my favorite I would have won every bet. Sure I wouldn't be making a lot but I wouldn't be losing. The funniest bets for me were the pick three and pick four and pick five. I usually choose my top two horses on each race hit two out of three a lot I think I have a shot at hitting one of those in the next few times at the track.

Mutli race/horse exotics have the highest takeouts, also think of the variance, in a 8 horse field, there are 336 combos in a tri, 56 in an exactor. Yes show betting isn't sexy, but in reality, show betting favs is probably the highest ROI for a random bet you can have at the track (but still a good 10% negative ROI probably). Keep it simple, try to pick the winner at first.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: