Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Longshot6977

How much $$ needs to be in the WPS pool to change the morning line?

Quick question guys.
Does anybody know how much money needs to be in the WPS pools to change the morning line odds? I always thought it was $600. I was watching a harness race the other nite (forgot which track) and at 1 MTP, the current odds were still the same as the ML odds. One flash later, they finally changed as they were approaching the gate. There was a bit over $600 in the WPS pools. Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
davew

$2 in win pool, the Place and Show are not used

whatever you were watching was still stuck on ML
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
$2 in win pool, the Place and Show are not used
Sorry, that can't be correct. I knew many years back it was a requirement to have at least $600 in the pool until the monitors displayed the current odds. The odds won't change on the monitor if just $2 is in the win pool. I realize the odds DO mathematically change even with $2 or $100, but what I mean is the monitors will not display the correct odds until at least ($600?) is in the pool. Does anyone know if that is still true. It happens a lot at small harness tracks.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I'm guessing it's up to each individual track, although most probably use the same standard. Now I'm going to waste time tomorrow watching the tote board trying to figure it out.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

Depends on the track. You can set the minimum to whatever you want.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Sorry, that can't be correct. I knew many years back it was a requirement to have at least $600 in the pool until the monitors displayed the current odds. The odds won't change on the monitor if just $2 is in the win pool. I realize the odds DO mathematically change even with $2 or $100, but what I mean is the monitors will not display the correct odds until at least ($600?) is in the pool. Does anyone know if that is still true. It happens a lot at small harness tracks.
Has to be track dependant, possibly state racing commission rule - what track are you asking about?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
The Hawk

Generally it's $1,000.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
Now I'm going to waste time tomorrow watching the tote board trying to figure it out.
Did you come to any conclusions or observations yet?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
sammy the sage

this WHOLE topic is akin to....how much does my dog eat..

Well do you have a WEINER dog...or...a GREAT Dane.....seriously...

Gotta REPHRASE the question SIR....as to WHICH track before a LEGIT QUESS could be given....
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Mostly I forgot about it. Whenever I looked early on the odds had already moved.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
davew

Quote:
Just you can't even remember what track. I have bet at dogtracks where the closing win pool is under $200 (and they have no trouble changing the odds).
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
Just you can't even remember what track. I have bet at dogtracks where the closing win pool is under $200 (and they have no trouble changing the odds).
I usually notice it at small pool harness tracks like Balmoral, Pocono, Fraser etc. It didn't matter exactly what track, my question was a general one, and not about dog tracks. Someone mentioned $1000 and that could be correct for the track they use. I guess the amount depends on the specific track like someone else mentioned. The next time I see 1 or 2 MTP and the odds shown are still the ML odds, I'll post the info. I do remember many years ago Yonkers wouldn't post the actual odds until $600 was in the WPS pools. A mutuel clerk told me. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
I usually notice it at small pool harness tracks like Balmoral, Pocono, Fraser etc. It didn't matter exactly what track, my question was a general one, and not about dog tracks. Someone mentioned $1000 and that could be correct for the track they use. I guess the amount depends on the specific track like someone else mentioned. The next time I see 1 or 2 MTP and the odds shown are still the ML odds, I'll post the info. I do remember many years ago Yonkers wouldn't post the actual odds until $600 was in the WPS pools. A mutuel clerk told me. Thanks.
For a while, Fraser was $200 in the win pool, but that some time ago....haven't really paid attention recently.
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
clocker7
Veteran

For the longest time, most US racetracks used equipment and operators from Amtote on a lease basis, paying a percentage of the gross to do so (NY had their own systems after awhile). I presume that Amtote set the parameters for their computational processes, but that's just a guess. What goes on now might be similar, but I doubt that there is any great plot involved to mislead anyone.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Valuist

I always thought it changed over the instant after the previous race was declared official.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: