Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
deathandgravity

OP Race #1, 4/3/2014

That's crazy... haven't seen that in a long time.
Opened the gates with the #9 clearly standing behind the gates waiting to be loaded. Think it should have been declared a "no-contest" race, 7 & 8 didn't look ready.

Glad I didn't have $ on it.
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
deathandgravity

video
http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park...ed-non-starter
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

I don't understand why the entire race wouldnt be a no contest? That horse not running could have affected the pace of the race among other things. Also, when that horse comes out of the pool, all the odds on the other runners go down, players who had monies on those horses might not have wanted those wagers after the prices had been adjusted.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity
That's crazy... haven't seen that in a long time.
Opened the gates with the #9 clearly standing behind the gates waiting to be loaded. Think it should have been declared a "no-contest" race, 7 & 8 didn't look ready.

Glad I didn't have $ on it.
The exact same thing happened to me at Sportsman's Park about 30 years ago. I had a large bet on the #1 horse named One Master, who was the lone speed at a price...but the starter pressed the button while the horse Joyunderthefalls was still standing behind the gate. All the horses broke in a tangle...and no one got away slower than One Master.

When I went to the manager and demanded to know why the race wasn't declared a "no-contest"...the manager looked at me with amusement, and asked me : "And who is going to pay the winners"?

"YOU pay the freaking winners, you son-of-a-bitch"...I lashed out at him. "He is YOUR employee, and he SCREWED UP. WHO should pay the winners?"

But I wasn't able to sway him...
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
goatchaser

That's a serious Hiccup on the starter. I tend to agree with DAG. Jocks know when a horse is being loaded next to them and look back from what I've seen to make sure the Horse coming in isn't raising up or fractious of any kind. I couldn't tell but I bet you the #8 who broke very slowly, that The Jock was in no way ready for the gates to open. With that said, putting the jock In a possible dangerous position of being hurt. I agree...No Contest.
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
davew

I saw it on a Karl Nafzger maiden at Arlington Park (my only day at a nice new AP)
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Happened at FG last season. The switch to open the gates (held by the starter) wasn't working...go figure, something at FG was broken....so the starter had to spring the gates from a control panel near Post Position #1. He couldn't see that the last horse hadn't entered the gate yet and he sprang the latch.
The race went on as usual with the forgotten runner declared a non-starter.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Bettowin

The winner paid $45. Nice if you had him
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: