Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
infrontby1

Drayden Van Dyke

Why in the world would this promising young jockey who's been picking up some decent mounts and winning at Santa Anita on a regular basis (i.e. win on Omega Star from Sunday's 7th race) head over to Turf Paradise on a Wednesday afternoon to ride only one race that yielded his share of the winner's purse of $361?

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...021214USA6.pdf
infrontby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
jballscalls

Well Santa Anita wasn't running. Maybe he has a connection to the trainer or owner or his agent does and was doing it as a favor?

He rode one on Tuesday as well, maybe he was spending a few days there? When you're young you want as much experience as possible and maybe it just sounded fun?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
magwell

This jock has a a good future ahead of him, from what I've seen of him so far.......
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
This jock has a a good future ahead of him, from what I've seen of him so far.......
Love me some DVD. I agree, very talented for a kid with so little actual riding experience and riding in an elite colony, he's been very impressive so far.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
madera12227

I don't think he has any mounts this weekend.
madera12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madera12227
I don't think he has any mounts this weekend.
That just blows my mind, owners should be knocking themselves over to get the 7 lbs and a guy who doesnt take the married mans route and actually doesnt stand up before the wire, rides em out to the end. But, Victor Espinoza is available, so why would you use DVD.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Just a Fan

Van Dyke had a 2nd mount at TuP Wednesday, that scratched. He was also at TuP Tuesday, and rode just one cheap mount. Maybe he will get more mounts in the coming weeks at TuP on SA dark days, once trainers realize he's there and he means business. Not a bad idea to make a good impression on another circuit, in case business dries up in California when the bug runs out.

I forget who the bug was 7-8 years ago... it was a pretty successful one - that rode at Aqueduct 4 or 5 days a week, and then flew out to TuP to ride on NYRAs dark days. That was quite a schedule.

Just based on the trainers that are using Van Dyke, he is clearly on better footing than most apprentices at this early stage of their career.

Madera and SRU - Van Dyke is serving a 3 day suspension on 2/13 thru 2/15 for a riding infraction.

Last edited by Just a Fan; 02-13-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Just a Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Fan
Van Dyke had a 2nd mount at TuP Wednesday, that scratched. He was also at TuP Tuesday, and rode just one cheap mount. Maybe he will get more mounts in the coming weeks at TuP on SA dark days, once trainers realize he's there and he means business. Not a bad idea to make a good impression on another circuit, in case business dries up in California when the bug runs out.

I agree, when you are young, I truly believe that an up and coming Jocko should get around and get a feel of what it is like to race at other tracks and lawns.....I think riding a number of different tracks gives you a better all around feel for riding, and rounds you out as rider.....

For later on, when you hook up with a good stable or two, and when they ask or require you to ride their pony at another raceway.....This way when called on to ship out for a race or a weekend at another track, it won't be so pressure filled, as once it may have been before you had the feel of different surfaces....
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Fan

I forget who the bug was 7-8 years ago... it was a pretty successful one - that rode at Aqueduct 4 or 5 days a week, and then flew out to TuP to ride on NYRAs dark days. That was quite a schedule.

Just based on the trainers that are using Van Dyke, he is clearly on better footing than most apprentices at this early stage of their career.

Madera and SRU - Van Dyke is serving a 3 day suspension on 2/13 thru 2/15 for a riding infraction.
Thanks for suspension info.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Van Dyke tripped over an ottoman in TuP jocks room but is said to be ok.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Knowclew

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag
Van Dyke tripped over an ottoman in TuP jocks room but is said to be ok.

Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
infrontby1

That was some ride Sunday at Santa Anita, perfect timing to get up at the wire in a 6.5 furlong race.

Unfortunately, that was probably his last mount carrying 7lbs.
infrontby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Dark Horse

This kid is going places. Just won two in a row at SA. He's been having some really nice, perfectly timed rides.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
This kid is going places. Just won two in a row at SA. He's been having some really nice, perfectly timed rides.
Been doing that since day 1, public just catching on now. Or, NOT catching on, paying 11 and 12 dollars.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
He's doing well on the downhill which is very tricky.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply