Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Jealous, Ricardo E. Legall.

Jealous, a 4 year old filly, received a trainer change to someone named Ricardo E Legall, who i've never heard of. The horse had 6 lifetime starts heading into closing day at The Big A and 5 of those 6 the horse couldnt run a step at a million to one odds. One time she had an even 3rd with a slow Beyer fig.

She got bet off the board, and went off at 9-2 after never having taken one red cent in any of her 6 lifetime races and ran off like a wild horse, striding thru the wire like a grade 1 stakes filly.

This Legall guy may be a trainer to watch, obviously he's some kind of horse whisperer, this was a massive form reversal and a lot of people knew it in advance.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Probably found out how to make her run. There are plenty of ways to do that legally...trial and error...you know...tinker here and there...diet...massage...hind end work...dentistry...cure infections...ulcers...stuff like that...

It's not always shady stuff...don't get as cynical as me...it's not pretty...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
MightBeSosa
Veteran

Fact is, this was a bad morning line, 20-1 and any handicapper who's been around more than 2 weeks should have had this as a live horse. Especially after the $$$ showed.

It was a terrible field of rats , and this horse had shown enough on the dirt to be a contender even WITHOUT a move up performance. Form was dirtied up by greenness the first few and the turf prep. Looked damn decent on the track as well.

Sure they bet with both hands, but there wasn't anything really hidden about it . The trainer angle was just the icing on a cake already baked.
MightBeSosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Probably found out how to make her run. There are plenty of ways to do that legally...trial and error...you know...tinker here and there...diet...massage...hind end work...dentistry...cure infections...ulcers...stuff like that...

Absolutely. I'm not cynical, i'm pretty sure it wasnt anything shady, just a trainer to keep an eye on.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Striker

Quote:

In 14 days though? Horse raced April 7th under different trainer, raced for new trainer April 21st with no listed works in that 2 week period. Obviously doesn't mean the horse wasn't working or galloping, but it still is very eye catching for a trainer to win with his 1st horse he has put in the starting gate ever, at least according to equibase which has this as his only win and starter.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
In 14 days though? Horse raced April 7th under different trainer, raced for new trainer April 21st with no listed works in that 2 week period. Obviously doesn't mean the horse wasn't working or galloping, but it still is very eye catching for a trainer to win with his 1st horse he has put in the starting gate ever, at least according to equibase which has this as his only win and starter.
I thought it was important to talk about this horse and this trainer considering it was his first starter and the horse got bet pretty hard for the situation.

Sosa says it was a field of rats, but this horse had run in fields of rats before and been 50-1 and never picked up her feet.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Doesn't anyone think the trainer's name is suspicious?

Ricardo Illegal?????

A guy shows up on the NY circuit with no training record and his name is Ricardo E Legall??
I'd like to know more about the owner, Joe Lowe
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
davew

he could retire with a 100% win percentage
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
nijinski

PP's say previously trained by Leslie Hinds . Could be assistant if the owner is the same , didn't check that on equibase . LLegal has no other starts listed .

Question is Hinds serving days?

Last edited by nijinski; 04-25-2013 at 01:44 AM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Doesn't anyone think the trainer's name is suspicious?

Ricardo Illegal?????

A guy shows up on the NY circuit with no training record and his name is Ricardo E Legall??
I'd like to know more about the owner, Joe Lowe

Like the old law school joke about the bad check passer who always signed his checks Uben Tok.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
massman

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say the trainer is someone who is banned. Richard E Legall? Pretty interesting name. Could it be any other Richard E we know? Or do we just take it at face value? The game is so screwed up I could believe nearly anything in this case.
massman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
lamboguy

Quote:

i am working right now with a 4yo filly that ran 2 average races in Tampa. i sent her up north and the trainer went to work on her. she was hitting herself during her races, we tried corrective shoeing and that didn't help much. the trainer went to work on her neck. it seemed like her neck was slightly out of place and he gave her some chiropractic treatments with a pressure gun. she was so far off that the gun heated up and he had to get another gun. after 3 treatments she is now a different horse. she is not hitting any more, she ran in Tampa for $12,500 and $25,000 maidens. her next race will be in Presqe Isles in a MSW race that she will have a big shot at in my opinion. i am not there first hand to see it, my trainer is telling me this, but i have to believe him, he is winning at a 40% rate the last 5 years and this one won't be the first miraculous change that he has produced.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I thought it was important to talk about this horse and this trainer considering it was his first starter and the horse got bet pretty hard for the situation.

Sosa says it was a field of rats, but this horse had run in fields of rats before and been 50-1 and never picked up her feet.
Didn't the horse have the best last Beyer in the field? If so, that means this field of rats was much worse. I actually had this horse as a "double advantage", meaning its last two figures were better than any horse had run in its last two. The horse had also improved every time out number wise save the pulled up race, and obviously did again.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
the little guy

The horse's last race was a turf race ( it finished 10th ) which makes it irrelevent ( the Beyer was 26 if anyone cares ) and it's prior race it earned a 28 fig on dirt, which made it competitive here. Prior to that it received a 19 on dirt, was eased, and ran two straight negative zero Beyer figs.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Didn't the horse have the best last Beyer in the field? If so, that means this field of rats was much worse. I actually had this horse as a "double advantage", meaning its last two figures were better than any horse had run in its last two. The horse had also improved every time out number wise save the pulled up race, and obviously did again.
Thanks for planting his feet on solid ground again...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply