Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #1
lamboguy

i wish i owned some gas stations now

wholesale unleaded got to be something like $2.00 a gallon. i just filled up for $3.50 per gallon. a gas station must be pumping at least 5,000 gallons a day for an independent station. this is probably the last hurrah for those gas stations. Electric cars are coming now, and they are coming fast.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Less than 1% of the vehicles on the road today in the USA are electric.

https://graphics.reuters.com/AUTOS-E...A/mopanyqxwva/
Old 04-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Less than 1% of the vehicles on the road today in the USA are electric.

https://graphics.reuters.com/AUTOS-E...A/mopanyqxwva/
by 2035, 25% of all new cars will be electric, 13% of all the cars on the road will be electric
Old 04-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
chrisl

I am paying about .35 a mile in California. I was talking cost per mile with a EV owner. It can be .75 a mile to charge the vehicle. It depends a lot on what time of day you charge. They only use the EV for short runs. Daily commute is the gas machine. In my work commute that would cost me 150 a day if I had to use an EV to get to work and back.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This place is in danger of extinction.....

Old 04-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I am paying about .35 a mile in California. I was talking cost per mile with a EV owner. It can be .75 a mile to charge the vehicle. It depends a lot on what time of day you charge. They only use the EV for short runs. Daily commute is the gas machine. In my work commute that would cost me 150 a day if I had to use an EV to get to work and back.
https://shopsolarkits.com/collection...ts%20By%20Size

i ordered this thing a month ago and i am supposed to get it in July.. my property has a 5 car garage and 12 open spots. i am going to also install EV charging outlets and try to get money for it while they park their cars there. i am the only one in my neighborhood that has the space to do this.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
wholesale unleaded got to be something like $2.00 a gallon. i just filled up for $3.50 per gallon. a gas station must be pumping at least 5,000 gallons a day for an independent station. this is probably the last hurrah for those gas stations. Electric cars are coming now, and they are coming fast.
Wholesale maybe. But add in distribution and then delivery to your independently owned stations the pre pumped price is much higher. Most survive on in store sales or repairs.

Sure your EV's are coming not due to market demand but mandates by dipshits... when that time comes enjoy the blackouts and pedestrian power transportation. Windmills aren't going to fill the gap nor will the current grid support the added load. And I put little to no faith in the Federal Government to fix the infrastructure... just look at the last trillion dollar package passed. Less then 10% is earmarked for "actual infrastructure" and with the Governments track record on projects getting done these days... let's just say enjoy the walk.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #8
chrisl

Quote:

i ordered this thing a month ago and i am supposed to get it in July.. my property has a 5 car garage and 12 open spots. i am going to also install EV charging outlets and try to get money for it while they park their cars there. i am the only one in my neighborhood that has the space to do this.
That would be nice. A lot of rumble in California about PG&E pushing for basically a tax to homeowners who are using solar. This would wipe out anyone using solar. They want all the money. It has zero to do with the climate, it is all about the money and control, that is it.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #9
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Wholesale maybe. But add in distribution and then delivery to your independently owned stations the pre pumped price is much higher. Most survive on in store sales or repairs.

Sure your EV's are coming not due to market demand but mandates by dipshits... when that time comes enjoy the blackouts and pedestrian power transportation. Windmills aren't going to fill the gap nor will the current grid support the added load. And I put little to no faith in the Federal Government to fix the infrastructure... just look at the last trillion dollar package passed. Less then 10% is earmarked for "actual infrastructure" and with the Governments track record on projects getting done these days... let's just say enjoy the walk.
Excellent Post!! Frick'in lunatics!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
green80

Wait until these EV's get a few years old and require a battery replacement. Like all batteries they wear out. The battery replacement is sometimes more than the value of the car.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And don't forget the battery disposal fees, taxes, and, oh, where are we going to put all those batteries?

How about we stack them up along the coast to keep out the rising seas?
Old 04-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Everything that I have read indicates that the residential infrastructure - the power grid itself - will simply not support a charge-from-home system without being rebuilt.

Apparently, only about 3-5 cars per 20 houses can charge overnight with what is currently supported. Considering that 20 houses equals about 35-50 cars, that would mean you'd get 1 charge every 10 days or so.

The alternative is to go to a local station and wait for 90 minutes while your car charges. Imagine the lines. Now add in the waiting-in-line-time. And can't make an appointment because you need your car to go to work.

Worst par: The bottleneck is on a street-by-street basis, centered around replacing ALL the residential transformers.

Quote:
Subject to the local power grid's maximums.

PS: 110 takes twice as long to charge as 220.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 04-17-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #13
OntheRail

Quote:

And how much have you budgeted for Red Tape... and zoning issues? Once you offer sales to the public also factor in commercial liability insurance ect... I mean it should be a breeze in the land of fruits and nuts.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
And how much have you budgeted for Red Tape... and zoning issues? Once you offer sales to the public also factor in commercial liability insurance ect... I mean it should be a breeze in the land of fruits and nuts.
Yep——-

Insurance blows up many a business plan. One of those EV’s catches fire while attached to your charger? Guess who gets sued?
Old 04-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #15
davew

I have heard many gas station owners say they only make 2-5 cents per gallon off of gasoline. Many make more from their little convenience store part of the operation.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: