Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
BarchCapper

Delta Downs lights/cancellations (Sticky says "no commentary")

Since the "Sticky" cancellations thread is noted as being "no commentary" and there's a lot of commentary going on there, I thought I'd start a thread about the lights/cancellations where we should be commenting.

It will be interesting to find out what's behind the issue with the lights. You would think poles would go up and lights hung where they were before and had worked for many years.

Is the problem driven by some "do more with less" move? Fewer poles with theoretically brighter lights to throw the "same" amount of light?

Here's a DRF article on the situation:

https://www.drf.com/news/delta-downs...-races-daytime
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
ranchwest

Someone said they switched to LED. I have not confirmed that.

As someone who has photographed football under lights, I can tell you that lights can vary quite a bit. I got to shoot in the Super Dome one time. Incredibly bright lights!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
sharkey11

why is it that racinos love to chit on the custmers the most time to close em all!
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Someone said they switched to LED. I have not confirmed that.

As someone who has photographed football under lights, I can tell you that lights can vary quite a bit. I got to shoot in the Super Dome one time. Incredibly bright lights!
Maybe Delta Downs made the same mistake I did - bought the "soft white" LED bulbs instead of the "daylight" ones!!!!!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

It’s always a cost vs lighting conundrum. But in reality you’re not just hanging lights. The lighting today is LED and it is great stuff. Burns less energy (up to 70% less in some applications) and lasts much longer.

The expensive part is all about where the power for the lighting is coming from and is it in good shape. Most lighting here in Houston has wiring running under ground. After all the flooding over the last decade, there are hundreds of places who the underground wiring is the real problem.

If you have to re-do the wiring it will triple the cost of replacement lights. Then you have to decide if you’re going to replace all the way back to the electrical panel. If so, or it’s required, you might as well move your lights to 110v (most are 220 here) and recover those amps for something else. The new LED can give you just as much light at 110v as 220v. Believe it or not it’s a much nicer smoother light. It’s hard to explain and until you see it, you don’t get it.

I’ll guess that Delta Downs is trying to get by with the wiring that is intact and has a plan for later. But if it’s not enough, they may have to write a big check. Sooner than later.

*Btw, I started a company a month ago replacing parking lot n stadium lights. Just getting off the ground. I swapped my restaurant parking lights from 220v old crappy yellowish bulbs to new 110v LED and love the look of it. It enhanced the view of my security cameras and smoothed out our lighting. I also added 110v outlets to the bottom of the poles. Our underground wiring was in pretty good shape so we did very little trenching. I liked it so much I started the business and went in on it with my electrician who did mine. If you remember my thread about buying a lift, mystery solved.

* New parking lot striping goes down Sunday night……

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B5A7A21-C91B-4D1F-9D36-7D854491E6E3.jpg (493.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 10-16-2021 at 08:13 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
It’s always a cost vs lighting conundrum. But in reality you’re not just hanging lights. The lighting today is LED and it is great stuff. Burns less energy (up to 70% less in some applications) and lasts much longer.

The expensive part is all about where the power for the lighting is coming from and is it in good shape. Most lighting here in Houston has wiring running under ground. After all the flooding over the last decade, there are hundreds of places who the underground wiring is the real problem.

If you have to re-do the wiring it will triple the cost of replacement lights. Then you have to decide if you’re going to replace all the way back to the electrical panel. If so, or it’s required, you might as well move your lights to 110v (most are 220 here) and recover those amps for something else. The new LED can give you just as much light at 110v as 220v. Believe it or not it’s a much nicer smoother light. It’s hard to explain and until you see it, you don’t get it.

I’ll guess that Delta Downs is trying to get by with the wiring that is intact and has a plan for later. But if it’s not enough, they may have to write a big check. Sooner than later.

*Btw, I started a company a month ago replacing parking lot n stadium lights. Just getting off the ground. I swapped my restaurant parking lights from 220v old crappy yellowish bulbs to new 110v LED and love the look of it. It enhanced the view of my security cameras and smoothed out our lighting. I also added 110v outlets to the bottom of the poles. Our underground wiring was in pretty good shape so we did very little trenching. I liked it so much I started the business and went in on it with my electrician who did mine. If you remember my thread about buying a lift, mystery solved.

* New parking lot striping goes down Sunday night……
Very informative and educational - even if it turns out this isn't the situation with the Delta Downs lights - I feel wiser!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: