Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #8446
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Ad hominem attack.
How so? "Natural selection" can, apparently, do anything it wants. In your case, it flipped you the bird.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #8447
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How so?
You don't know what an ad hominem is?
Quote:
"Natural selection" can, apparently, do anything it wants.
Natural selection is a process, like fire, weather, etc. It does not "want" anything.

Meanwhile natural selection has provided me with two post graduate degrees.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #8448
boxcar

Quote:
You don't know what an ad hominem is?
Natural selection is a process, like fire, weather, etc. It does not "want" anything.

Meanwhile natural selection has provided me with two post graduate degrees.
From DDU where none of the professors could ever find their butt even though both their hands were ducked taped to it?

And why do they name this natural process "selection"? To select something is to make a choice. It is to choose. It is to decide. These are things intelligent beings do.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:27 PM   #8449
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And why do they name this natural process "selection"? To select something is to make a choice. It is to choose. It is to decide. These are things intelligent beings do.
Webster's Dictionary specifically defines "biological selection" in a manner which excludes a choice by an intelligent being. Would "survival of the fittest" make you happier.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #8450
boxcar

Quote:
Webster's Dictionary specifically defines "biological selection" in a manner which excludes a choice by an intelligent being. Would "survival of the fittest" make you happier.
Still can't get rid of the term "selection", can you? Select -- derived from elect.
Who would ever thunk that biology would be such a brain? Oh yeah...the God-deniers.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #8451
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Still can't get rid of the term "selection", can you?
Why should I get rid of it? It conveys the intended meaning. As Socrates said, "the beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms." What you are doing is called equivocation.

As Henry Drummond said: "Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands."

Last edited by Actor; 06-02-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #8452
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
From DDU ...
1. I'll bite. WTF is DDU? Don't tell me to google it. I've tried it and of all the stuff that comes nothing fits.

2. What university did you go to?
Old 06-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #8453
boxcar

Quote:
Why should I get rid of it? It conveys the intended meaning. As Socrates said, "the beginning of wisdom is a definition of terms." What you are doing is called equivocation.

As Henry Drummond said: "Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands."
Because "selection" is derived from election; both denote intelligence behind the choosing.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #8454
boxcar

Quote:
1. I'll bite. WTF is DDU? Don't tell me to google it. I've tried it and of all the stuff that comes nothing fits.

2. What university did you go to?
Try Dumb Down University. It fits you to a tee.

And I graduated from HKU (Hard Knocks University) cum laude.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #8455
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
... "selection" is derived from election; ...
No, it is not.

I looked up the etymology of "selection." It's first use was in 1805 and its meaning was biological.

The word "election" first appears in the English language about 1300 C.E. The word "election" in a religious sense first appeared about 1400 C.E.

Last edited by Actor; 06-02-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:38 PM   #8456
boxcar

Quote:
No, it is not.

I looked up the etymology of "selection." It's first use was in 1805 and its meaning was biological.

The word "election" first appears in the English language about 1300 C.E. The word "election" in a religious sense first appeared about 1400 C.E.
Wrong! Darwin extended the normal use of the word to conveniently fit his worldview.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/selection
Old 06-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #8457
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Darwin extended the normal use of the word to conveniently fit his worldview.
And there's nothing wrong with that. The purpose of language is effective communication.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #8458
boxcar

Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with that. The purpose of language is effective communication.
But Darwin's choice of words contradicts his very premise that the universe and all in it is a huge accident -- it all just happened by time and chance -- whatever that "all" is. It's the height of duplicity to tell the unwashed masses that the universe just happened with no rhyme or reason in one breath, and then in the next talk about nature making choices.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #8459
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
But Darwin's choice of words contradicts his very premise that the universe and all in it is a huge accident -- it all just happened by time and chance -- whatever that "all" is. It's the height of duplicity to tell the unwashed masses that the universe just happened with no rhyme or reason in one breath, and then in the next talk about nature making choices.
Darwin did not say that nature makes choices. Read his book and then if you still think he said that then read it again because you did not understand it the first time.

Last edited by Actor; 06-03-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #8460
boxcar

Quote:
Darwin did not say that nature makes choices. Read his book and then if you still think he said that then read it again because you did not understand it the first time.
Darwin didn't say it explicitly, but the word that he CHOSE -- the word he SELECTED -- says it, i.e "selection". Read the definition of the verb "select". It makes to choose, to pick out, to make a choice. All of which are things that intelligent, rational beings do.