Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-19-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
Half Smoke

r.i.p. Jim Brown

maybe the greatest r.b. ever

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-brown-dies-87

Old 05-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
46zilzal
velocitician

I had a job taking tickets at the door of the UCLA season ending basketball awards dinner, saw this mountain of a man approaching and asked quite politely: "Do you have some tickets left here for Mr. Brown?"

Mike Warren came running from the auditorium and greeted him and gave us the tickets....Huge fellow
Old 05-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

I assume his 5.2 yards a carry is the NFL record for a running back. A man among boys on the field, someone who abused women off it.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2023, 11:37 PM   #4
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I assume his 5.2 yards a carry is the NFL record for a running back. A man among boys on the field, someone who abused women off it.
Jamaal Charles 5.4 yards per carry.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2023, 03:23 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I was shocked ESPN made this their closing paragraph;

“He was arrested a half-dozen times, mostly on charges of hitting women. He was once fined and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner. He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985 (the charges were later dropped). The next year he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée. In 1999, Brown was acquitted of domestic threats against his wife but convicted of smashing the window of her car and spent time in jail when he refused to attend domestic violence counseling.”

I assumed they would skip over this
Old 05-20-2023, 03:48 AM   #6
Half Smoke

the link provides a more comprehensive bio of Brown if you can get past their paywall - it's pretty interesting -

I get past it by putting the title in google and then clicking the link

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/19/s...rown-dead.html

Old 05-20-2023, 01:09 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I was shocked ESPN made this their closing paragraph;

“He was arrested a half-dozen times, mostly on charges of hitting women. He was once fined and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner. He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985 (the charges were later dropped). The next year he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée. In 1999, Brown was acquitted of domestic threats against his wife but convicted of smashing the window of her car and spent time in jail when he refused to attend domestic violence counseling.”

I assumed they would skip over this

Since I did not see him play, to me he was most known as someone who abused women, which to me makes him garbage. Of the athletes or ex athletes involved in civil rights issues I found him the least likeable.

I don't upgrade people because they have passed like many do.
Old 05-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

the link provides a more comprehensive bio of Brown if you can get past their paywall - it's pretty interesting -

I get past it by putting the title in google and then clicking the link

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/19/s...rown-dead.html

archive.ph is your friend...when it comes to bypassing paywalls...which I don't endorse because I hate it when people use ad blockers here...lol...but I provide this as a public service

https://archive.ph/zg4BM
Old 05-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
archive.ph is your friend...when it comes to bypassing paywalls...which I don't endorse because I hate it when people use ad blockers here...lol...but I provide this as a public service

https://archive.ph/zg4BM

Like I said before, for some reason the ads on this site have never applied to me, where on other sites I get followed by items I have shopped for. The last ads I have gotten are for women's clothing. I gave up trying to cross dress a long time ago when I could not find high heels in a men's 14 wide.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:10 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Like I said before, for some reason the ads on this site have never applied to me, where on other sites I get followed by items I have shopped for. The last ads I have gotten are for women's clothing. I gave up trying to cross dress a long time ago when I could not find high heels in a men's 14 wide.
funny...when I search for some commercial product, I usually end up seeing ads for those products on here

Anyhoo...who said anything about the ads needing to be relevant? What does that even matter?

If you want to support this site...you can do one or all of three things:

1) Donate
2) Don't use an ad blocker...ad blockers allow you to "white list" sites you don't want to block
3) Click on an ad every now and then...even if it's for women's clothing...LOL

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-20-2023 at 04:12 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 06:28 AM   #11
Cutter14

The best I have ever seen--Being a Giants fan I remember how many times he looked hurt after being tackled and would get the ball on the next play and rip off a huge gain-it usually took an army to bring him down. As I recall he wasn't the fastest player on the field but he was the strongest.In all my years there have been many awesome running backs but in my opinion none come close to him
Cutter14 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 10:23 AM   #12
Teach

Jim Brown Helped Me Get A Teaching Job

Jim Brown helped me get one of my teaching jobs. Mid-1960s. I had recently started my teaching career in one of Boston's high schools. I decided to apply outside Boston area. One of the places I applied was a New York City bedroom-community called Manhasset, a stone’s throw east on Northern Blvd. from borough of Queens. Almost 60-years ago, I think back to time I was interviewed by the then high school principal, Dr. Warren MacGregor. Initially, we talked about educational topics, i.e., How did I hear about Manhasset? etc. A few minutes later, I said, “Didn’t Jim Brown, then playing for the Cleveland Browns, go to Manhasset High School (I knew this because my dad was an SU alum, class of 1940. He took me to all the Boston area football fields where Syracuse was playing, e.g., BU Field (Braves Field), HC’s Fitton Field, etc. No sooner did I mention Brown who had graduated from Manhasset High about ten-years earlier, then Dr. MacGregor regales me with stories about Jim Brown. How he not only played football, but other sports, as well, e.g., lacrosse, basketball, track. About five minutes later, I remember Dr. MacGregor saying, “We have a social studies opening at the junior-senior high school, are you interested?" I said, “Yes.” Dr. MacGregor then said, “Consider yourself hired.” He added, “I’ll send you an application.” I would end up teaching two years at Manhasset Junior-Senior High, 1966-68. Those were two good years. Thank you, Jim Brown. Rest in Peace.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2023, 01:58 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Back in the day of 3 TV channels, we got the Browns every week.
I grew up watching Brown.

Then, who knew he could sing and dance as well!

Old 05-21-2023, 03:45 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
funny...when I search for some commercial product, I usually end up seeing ads for those products on here

Anyhoo...who said anything about the ads needing to be relevant? What does that even matter?

If you want to support this site...you can do one or all of three things:

1) Donate
2) Don't use an ad blocker...ad blockers allow you to "white list" sites you don't want to block
3) Click on an ad every now and then...even if it's for women's clothing...LOL

I just find it odd that this site is the only one I frequent that the ads are 100% irrelevant. I usually am chased around by machine shop supplies as that is most of what I browse and buy online. I like brick and mortar stores especially the mom and pop ones, but there is no such thing close to me for shop supplies.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:08 PM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Saw some stuff on Facebook that his family says he had CTE

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: