Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-02-2023, 12:14 AM   #31
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Yahoo Finance | May 01, 2023
Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens:
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/2a88114b...all-26-as.html

Quote:
Bud Light's sales declines accelerated in the week ended April 22, according to Beer Business Daily

Continue Reading
The 'Continue Reading' button on the Yahoo Finance site leads to an article at BARRON'S that sits behind a paywall.

I found an archived version of the BARRON'S article here:

Bud Light Sales Fall 26% as Transgender Backlash Worsens:
https://archive.is/zpCFI
Quote:
The Dylan Mulvaney controversy continues to hurt Bud Light.

Beer Business Daily reported Sunday that Bud Light’s off-premise sales volume–the amount of beer sold outside of restaurants and bars–was down 26.1% from a year earlier in the week ended April 22, based on scan data. Volumes were down 21.1% in the prior week, while so far this year, Bud Light volumes are down 8%
The figures include sales at grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores.

“The shocking deterioration of Bud Light Blue’s market share continued apace through the third week of April–and actually somehow worsened. We’ve never seen such a dramatic shift in national share in such a short period of time,” Beer Business Daily wrote on its website.
Quote:
The trade publication and data provider noted that Coors Light volume was up 13.3% in the third week of April, while Miller Lite volume rose 13.6%. The swap in market share between Coors Light and Miller Lite versus Bud Light has been nearly one-for-one, according to Beer Business Daily.
Bud Light volume sold outside of restaurants and bars:

Down 21.1% for the week ended April 15 vs. same week last year.

Down 26% for the week ended April 22 vs. same week last year (worsening trend.)

Overall Bud Light volume:

Down 8% Year Over Year

Key competitors' Light Beer volume sold outside of restaurants and bars:

Coors Light volume third week of April: Up 13.3%

Miller Lite volume third week of April: Up 13.6%

Swap in market share between Coors Light and Miller Lite versus Bud Light nearly one-for-one.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 05-02-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 03:40 AM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I read it’s falling 7% a week now. If that keeps up……Yowser!
Old 05-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I make it a point to talk to bartenders and owners. I specifically ask about Bud light. None of them are complaining about sales. They tell me that those who drink Bud Light are continuing to drink it. Nobody gives a ****.

Are the bartenders and owners you are talking to in an establishment with a rainbow flag outside?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #34
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Are the bartenders and owners you are talking to in an establishment with a rainbow flag outside?
No. Just the opposite.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #35
Inner Dirt

Quote:
No. Just the opposite.

I could not image a blue collared heterosexual male beer drinker approving of the trans ad or whatever it was. I usually don't let the political leaning of a business influence what I buy, but I think if I was a Bud light drinker I would switch. Dylan Mulvaney thinks "misgendering" a trans person should be a crime. Most dudes pretending to be women are a-holes, who want to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, including young children.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:53 PM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I could not image a blue collared heterosexual male beer drinker approving of the trans ad or whatever it was. I usually don't let the political leaning of a business influence what I buy, but I think if I was a Bud light drinker I would switch. Dylan Mulvaney thinks "misgendering" a trans person should be a crime. Most dudes pretending to be women are a-holes, who want to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, including young children.
The whole thing is a joke, actually.

They made like a COUPLE OF CANS just for Dylan Mulvaney. I guess they promoted it on their social media?

But it wasn't like they created a huge bunch to be sold publicly...it was just for her...that's my understanding anyway...and then it blew up, for some reason.

Hilarious.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:05 PM   #37
TJDave

Quote:
I could not image a blue collared heterosexual male beer drinker approving of the trans ad or whatever it was.
I’m saying that what I hear is that they don’t switch brands. Some joke about it but they still drink it. I’m not much of a beer drinker but I’ve tried most of them. Even among light beers there is a distinct difference in taste. So I could see where a loyal Bud Light drinker wouldn’t switch. I think this is only an issue with people who didn’t drink Bud Light to begin with. I wouldn’t drink Coors beer if you paid me but if a transvestite started advertising their product I’d damn sure switch.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I’m saying that what I hear is that they don’t switch brands. Some joke about it but they still drink it. I’m not much of a beer drinker but I’ve tried most of them. Even among light beers there is a distinct difference in taste. So I could see where a loyal Bud Light drinker wouldn’t switch. I think this is only an issue with people who didn’t drink Bud Light to begin with. I wouldn’t drink Coors beer if you paid me but if a transvestite started advertising their product I’d damn sure switch.

I don't know why but when I was a kid in the 70's it seemed most white guys drank Budweiser and Mexicans drank Coors. I never new why, I used to ride around and pick up aluminum cans. Construction sites were great.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #39
TJDave

Quote:
I don't know why but when I was a kid in the 70's it seemed most white guys drank Budweiser and Mexicans drank Coors. I never new why, I used to ride around and pick up aluminum cans. Construction sites were great.
I grew up in Oklahoma. EVERYONE drank Coors.

My buddy made a fortune buying cases of Coors in Oklahoma and selling them to spring breakers in Corpus Christi. You couldn’t buy Coors in Texas then.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My friends and I...when we drank domestic (we were snobbish I guess), we drank Coors Light...never Bud and hardly every Bud Light unless it was someone else's party and that's what they had.

Then I found Amstel Light and never looked back. Best light beer ever IMO. Then again, I'm not all that snobbish anymore, so I assume there is a better one out there that I just never tasted.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #41
TJDave

I can remember when a black & tan was a no-no. Especially if you ordered one in an Irish bar.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Coors was hit or miss around here. A place in Rochester would get some every so often, and we would buy what we could. It was a treat to get some.

Never a Bud man, Schlitz was my beer of choice.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #43
Inner Dirt

Nordik Wolf Light was the best light beer I ever had but it is no longer made. I think I last found some at a Trader Joes in the mid 90's.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:10 PM   #44
Inner Dirt

As long as we are talking beer, what is the worst beer you ever had? My vote goes for Meister Brau. I believed that has been gone for 20 years or so. Back in the early 90's you could get 3 twelve packs for $10. I always could hold my liquor but 4 cans of that crap would give me a hangover. Honorable mention goes to Beer. I don't know if it was local to SoCal, but there was a generic label food explosion in the mid 80's. The items just had the type of product on the packaging, no branding. My roommate bought a six pack of Beer. I took one drink and poured it out. At that time it was either Foster's or Killian's Red for me.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #45
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Back in the late 1970's I was working for Walgreens as a liquor dept. manager in Scottsdale, AZ.

I figured part of my job was knowing the merchandise.

So I decided I needed to make the effort to taste everything.

Everybody knew what Bud, Miller, Coors, and Heineken tasted like.

But we ran weekly newspaper ads and always had at least one lesser known beer brand on sale... Blatz, Carling Black Label, Hamns, Ballantines, Pabst, etc.

And we always sold a TON of the lesser brand because the price was dirt cheap vs. the major brands.

Imo --

Of the cheap brands Pabst was actually quite good, Hamns so so, and Blatz barely tolerable.

But Carling Black Label and Ballantines? Rancid from the word go.

Looking back, and I've tasted a LOT of different beers - I still think the Carling Black Label on the shelves of that Walgreens at 68th Street and Thomas in Scottsdale, AZ in 1978 has got to be the single worst beer I ever tasted.

I mentioned this to the sales rep from the distributor while he was writing up an order to restock our shelves the Monday after a busy weekend that saw us run completely out of Carling Black Label while it was on sale for something like $1.29 a six-pack.

Me:
Quote:
How do people drink that stuff? It tastes terrible.
Him:
Quote:
I know. But if you were to taste Carling Black Label brewed in Ohio you'd have a completely different opinion.

The Carling plant in Ohio uses water that's just about perfect for making beer.

The Carling here is brewed in Phoenix, and the water comes from the Salt River.

There's no comparison.
Me:
Quote:
What about Ballantines? That tastes almost as bad as the Carling.
Him, laughing:
Quote:
Brewed at the same plant in Phoenix with water from the Salt River.

Tell you what. When I get back to the office I'll call someone at the Carling plant in Ohio and have them ship a case out here for you - on the house.
About two weeks later he showed up at the store with a case of Carling from Ohio.

He was right.

The difference was like night and day.

To this day I shake my head in amazement at all those people who loaded up their shopping carts with cases of Carling every time it went on sale.

It's not as though they didn't know what it tasted like.

-jp