Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-04-2023, 08:24 AM   #1
Half Smoke

Sports Bets Fixed________?

could some of these bets - particularly these weird prop bets that have exploded in popularity because of sports betting's widespread legalization - be fixed____?

for example - a regular season game, not the playoffs - Michael Porter of the Nuggets averaged 17 p.p.g. - and I'm not trying to point at him - just an example

if a book offered +165 for him getting more 26 points or more - could a bet like that be fixed_________?

is it possible a player would try to score more to do a favor for a friend or girlfriend__________?

maybe even more likely in a college game where the players are not yet making big $$$

I don't really know the answer - but if I had to make a choice of yes or no - I would say - yes - it's very possible

Old 06-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #2
CheckMark

The only real "cheating," and it's not cheating, is Arbitrage betting.

It is just betting on two sides/teams and still making a guaranteed profit. It is just a special way of hedging.

There are three ways (from Action Network):

1) Two books offer different prices on a game simultaneously, so you bet both to guarantee a profit or at least break even.

2) You shop around and find two books with different prices on the same prop.

3) A line moves in your favour, so you take the guaranteed profit.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

I just apply common sense, in this day and age there is no way a professional athlete who makes a huge salary is going to risk losing it all for a small amount of money. Anyone with the status where they could effect the outcome of a wager in one of the 4 major team sports is easily pulling down a 7 figure yearly salary these days.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2023, 02:20 PM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I just apply common sense, in this day and age there is no way a professional athlete who makes a huge salary is going to risk losing it all for a small amount of money. Anyone with the status where they could effect the outcome of a wager in one of the 4 major team sports is easily pulling down a 7 figure yearly salary these days.

Exactly, even a bench player is making $1M a year. Why would any of them risk a lifetime of luxury and future decades of their family to gamble a game or 2 away.

They get caught. Out of the league forever.

Sure, Pete Rose did it, but he was betting on his own team (and losing) while he made a pittance of what they make now.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Exactly, even a bench player is making $1M a year. Why would any of them risk a lifetime of luxury and future decades of their family to gamble a game or 2 away.

Sure, Pete Rose did it, but he was betting on his own team (and losing) while he made a pittance of what they make now.

As we all know cable sports coverage gained in popularity professional athletes in popular sports started making more and more money. With the spread of legal sports betting online I am sure cheaters are looking for opportunities, but I am willing to venture an educated guess the FanDuels of the world have a lot of safe guards in place. I know there are betting limits
and I am sure the max amount is different for an NBA game compared to the World's dart championship. Yes, FanDuel allows you to bet on darts.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:00 PM   #6
Half Smoke

again, this could happen in big college games where props are offered - college players are not yet making big bucks

and then there's this:

you would think that NBA players would not want to do this considering the big bucks that they already earn
but then there's the thing that some human beings are by nature devious
and enjoy doing wrong things if they believe they can easily get away with it -

so this might be a way for some, not many, to get their jollies

some may remember the betting scandal with an NBA referee who claimed what he did was widespread - see link

NBA refs don't make huge bucks - but their compensation is substantial

I don't at all believe that safeguards by FanDuel and other big books are sure to catch all crooked betting schemes

I'm way, way less trusting of human nature than others posting in this thread

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2022/...20the%20league.

Last edited by Half Smoke; 06-04-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
Half Smoke

too late to edit

and I'm way, way less believing that humans are not likely to act in ways that are out of touch with common sense

Old 06-04-2023, 07:13 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
too late to edit

and I'm way, way less believing that humans are not likely to act in ways that are out of touch with common sense

I will agree and disagree, it depends on circumstance. It is true that a lot of well paid professional athletes without brains do not abandon their old lifestyle when they become a multi millionaire. Money did not get Aaron Herdandez away from being a hood rat with gang culture mentality.

On the disagree, when it comes to fixing an event, I would say the chance decreases as the athlete earns more money.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:32 AM   #9
iamt

The greater the risk to the athlete the less likely something is to be fixed, but it can happen in just about any sport if the person is of that persuasion.

To the original question though, it is much, much easier to fix the under side of just about any prop than the over.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2023, 05:43 AM   #10
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
To the original question hough, it is much, much easier to fix the under side of just about any prop than the over.
very true and an excellent point - and that was my bad re my op

I should have pointed that out

Old 06-08-2023, 07:21 PM   #11
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post

Hard to believe that Rose only bet "on" the Reds in his baseball gambling?
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2023, 09:19 PM   #12
MJC922

I suspect organized crime has no issues getting someone to under-perform. Once you have some sort of seriously compromising information on some player or three on a team and the muscle/threat to keep their utmost attention I don't doubt that a game will be pretty much locked in every once in a while. I doubt it's a nightly thing or weekly thing but I'd be very surprised if it never ever happens no matter how much these players make. Never mind anyone finding out that someone threw a game either, nothing will likely come of it for the same reasons, threats and intimidation.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:51 PM   #13
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Hard to believe that Rose only bet "on" the Reds in his baseball gambling?
I was once told by an old bookmaker that Rose bet on a lot of games, not just on the Reds. I had no real reason to doubt doubt him, he was allegedly pretty well connected with a national gambling network back in those days. So who knows?.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2023, 10:30 PM   #14
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V View Post
I was once told by an old bookmaker that Rose bet on a lot of games, not just on the Reds. I had no real reason to doubt doubt him, he was allegedly pretty well connected with a national gambling network back in those days. So who knows?.
The Dowd Report detailed much of Rose's activity, i.e., baseball, basketball, college sports. John Dowd was counsel to the Commissioner. He believed Rose to have bet against the Reds, but never found evidence.

Interestingly, when EA Sports put out their final 2005 MVP Baseball game (still the best some say), Barry Bonds refused to allow use of his image, having marketed himself legally. EA Sports substituted a husky Caucasian, complete with Bond's attributes from the 2004 season. Many of us thought it was a dig at Bonds, since Dowd received mention in the steroid investigations at the time, but it was later found to be an utter coincidence, there being a "John Dowd" who worked at EA.