Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-29-2023, 09:06 PM   #1
fast4522

Router / Wifi queation

So I am a hardware guy who picks up items dirt cheep at Savers & Goodwill by the pound. Not that I am up to snuff on routers and Wifi, can anyone rate this item and tell me if it was a goof find or just dated network stuff. On the surface it looks like it can do both DSL & Lan/WAN or is it strictly DSL?

https://www.zyxelguard.com/datasheet...927-B50A_3.pdf
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2023, 11:59 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

Look at the bottom on the speed. I have no idea what max is since I have crappy cell internet, but it looks like it can handle close to the fastest internet available. The DSL in the model doesn't mean what you think it does.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2023, 12:01 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Looks like $99 brand new on Amazon, $50 or so used on Ebay.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:01 AM   #4
vegasone

DSL is an older protocol over telephone lines. Bonded I believe means it can combine more than one DSL line together to offer higher speeds. This is not a just a regular from what I can understand at a glance.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 AM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
DSL is an older protocol over telephone lines. Bonded I believe means it can combine more than one DSL line together to offer higher speeds. This is not a just a regular from what I can understand at a glance.

VDSL2 is not slow old 1995 DSL, it requires a high speed fiber optic connection. Also under the modern description DSL is not broadband.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:02 PM   #6
MooseDog

I'd flip it as soon as I could.

VDSL is starting to go away. I have very few options where I live even though the area is fairly upscale it's semi-rural so other than Comcast no one is interested in laying fiber because it's not very dense.

The company I am with now was pushing bonded DSL over bonded ATT lines in the late 10s but has now moved on to fiber only.

Your unit appears to support be able to support bonded DSL serivce as well as having a built in local wired router as well as wifi.

Keep in mind that most providers supply their own routers and charge a montly rental, you unit may have been one that didn't get turned back in to the provider.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2023, 11:41 PM   #7
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
I'd flip it as soon as I could.

VDSL is starting to go away. I have very few options where I live even though the area is fairly upscale it's semi-rural so other than Comcast no one is interested in laying fiber because it's not very dense.

The company I am with now was pushing bonded DSL over bonded ATT lines in the late 10s but has now moved on to fiber only.

Your unit appears to support be able to support bonded DSL serivce as well as having a built in local wired router as well as wifi.

Keep in mind that most providers supply their own routers and charge a montly rental, you unit may have been one that didn't get turned back in to the provider.
I got it at at Goodwill by the pound, currently everything with wires and electronic is 50 cents a pound. That afternoon I got that some 20 pin Dell video cables (newer than HDMI square one side) and some power bricks for $2.49

The 3 video cables were the score of that pick, each about $9 at Amazon. A few years ago I got the newer "Man From Uncle" in a pick from there so I am always looking for the music soundtrack from that movie.

Another week with someone I buy stuff with I split a pallet of dell computers, there were several with one extra going to the other guy in the split being an odd number. All Dell I7's with DDR3 memory and had hard drives. My cost was $3 each

In short I do not pay much at all for the electronics stuff I buy.

Last edited by fast4522; 06-07-2023 at 11:51 PM.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: