Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

New York Gaming Commission suspends clocker for altering work distance

https://www.drf.com/news/nyra-suspen...-work-distance

Excerpt

The New York Gaming Commission suspended New York Racing Association clocker Richie Gazer for 30 calendar days and fined him $2,500 for altering a published work of a horse to make the horse eligible to race, according a ruling on the commission website.

Gazer has appealed the penalty and a stay has been granted, meaning Gazer may continue to work until a hearing is held.

The horse in question is Papi On Ice, who on May 1 was initially credited with a five-furlong work in 1:04.60 over the Belmont Park training track for trainer Randi Persaud. The work now reads a half-mile in 51.33 seconds.

Papi On Ice, who was pulled up soon after the start of his debut for maiden $20,000 claiming, was being entered for a race in the early part of May. The horse needed a workout in order to get off NYRA’s poor-performance list.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #2
westernmassbob

Clockers pulling some shenanigans at NYRA is nothing new. What’s next Sam the Bugler gets himself into trouble ? Oh yeah that already happened. You can’t make this stuff up.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Falsefying records is serious.
If he did it, 30 days is a joke.
Being a liar is bad enough, but violating a procedure for horse safety is intolerable.

One has to wonder if other works were fudged for personal gain?
Big hit on track integrity.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
classhandicapper

I'm pretty sure it's not that rare for certain trainers to call in bogus workouts to make horses eligible to race. That's obviously not a good practice, but it happens.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-23-2022 at 04:27 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Clockers pulling some shenanigans at NYRA is nothing new. What’s next Sam the Bugler gets himself into trouble ? Oh yeah that already happened. You can’t make this stuff up.
What happened? Your dad get fired from NYRA years ago or something?

Sam the Bugler? Seriously?
Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 PM   #6
dilanesp

Why would they stay the suspension, and why is this person (presumably) still working for NYRA? I assume that he also misled NYRA, his employer, and misled the gambling public about this work. He was messing with the integrity of the betting pools as well as helping his buddy get a possibly unsound horse into a race.

The slap on the wrist treatment of stuff like this doesn't send a good message to the gambling public about the integrity of the sport.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 PM   #7
the little guy

You have to wonder if you read the entire article and gave it some thought. The PA mob is always ready to sharpen their pitchforks at the literal drop of a hat.

I don't know the whole story either, and if rules were broken, punishment is understandable. I also have known Richie Gazer for over 30 years and if he's a bad guy, then I don't know who the good guys are.

It must be hard to go through life always assuming the worst about people with the most minimal of information.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Because Papi On Ice’s workout was initially published as a five-furlong move, the racing office would not accept the entry of Papi On Ice for a race.

Gazer, who is based on the main track and not the training track, said the time of the work was not changed but the distance was to comply with NYRA’s entry rules. Gazer said he was told by the clocker who timed Papi On Ice that the horse did work a half-mile in 51.33 as part of the five-furlong move in 1:04.60.
This is actually kinda laughable in the grand scheme of things.

Horse works 5f in 1:04.60

Rules say you need a 4f work and not one inch more...lmao

They give the 4f time and that is somehow devastatingly rule-breaking.

OK.

Whatever.

I'd appeal it also.

But hey...everything NYRA bad, right?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2022 at 09:05 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You have to wonder if you read the entire article and gave it some thought. The PA mob is always ready to sharpen their pitchforks at the literal drop of a hat.

I don't know the whole story either, and if rules were broken, punishment is understandable. I also have known Richie Gazer for over 30 years and if he's a bad guy, then I don't know who the good guys are.

It must be hard to go through life always assuming the worst about people with the most minimal of information.
If he's your friend, that's fine and I understand why you are loyal to him, but licensed legal gambling operations demand total honesty from those who work in the enterprise. There are people I know and like personally who should not hold positions of public trust.

It is not in any sense a "mob" that someone who is willing to falsify information provided to handicappers should not work in the sport of horse racing.

Beyond the rank dishonesty, this is also an incredibly stupid thing to do and does, by the way, show a terrible character. If Richie was such a great guy, why wasn't he able to say "no" to what was obviously and illegal and scandalous request? Indeed, why did he not report the request to his employer and the racing authorities so the proper punishment could be imposed on the horseman for attempting to run an ineligible horse?

This entire thing stinks to high heaven.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:22 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If he's your friend, that's fine and I understand why you are loyal to him, but licensed legal gambling operations demand total honesty from those who work in the enterprise. There are people I know and like personally who should not hold positions of public trust.

It is not in any sense a "mob" that someone who is willing to falsify information provided to handicappers should not work in the sport of horse racing.

Beyond the rank dishonesty, this is also an incredibly stupid thing to do and does, by the way, show a terrible character. If Richie was such a great guy, why wasn't he able to say "no" to what was obviously and illegal and scandalous request? Indeed, why did he not report the request to his employer and the racing authorities so the proper punishment could be imposed on the horseman for attempting to run an ineligible horse?

This entire thing stinks to high heaven.
Are you kidding?

Assuming his version of events are true...what exactly was the falsification, technically?

If the horse ran 4f in the time recorded...as part of an overall 5f move...what was falsified?

So it wasn't actually a 4f work because he also ran an additional furlong?

You're right, the whole thing does stink, but possibly for reasons completely unrelated to your feigned righteousness.

Maybe we wait until all facts are known before we go on another NYRA lynching...I know it's the favorite pastime of TLG-haters and guys out west with penis-envy (excuse me, NYRA-envy)....but that little speech above this reply of mine is not only telling, but Oscar-worthy. Bravo good sir! Bravo!
Old 05-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Are you kidding?

Assuming his version of events are true...what exactly was the falsification, technically?

If the horse ran 4f in the time recorded...as part of an overall 5f move...what was falsified?

So it wasn't actually a 4f work because he also ran an additional furlong?

You're right, the whole thing does stink, but possibly for reasons completely unrelated to your feigned righteousness.

Maybe we wait until all facts are known before we go on another NYRA lynching...I know it's the favorite pastime of TLG-haters and guys out west with penis-envy (excuse me, NYRA-envy)....but that little speech above this reply of mine is not only telling, but Oscar-worthy. Bravo good sir! Bravo!
Is his job to lie about the distance of workouts? Is someone who is willing to lie about this willing to do other dishonest stutf for his buddies?

I don't give a hoot about TLG one way or the other, except to say that he nailed the Preakness in a way few public handicappers ever do. But there are no little white lies when it comes to clockers- handicappers depend on these people and helping their buddies get into the race should end one's career as an official clocker.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:39 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Is his job to lie about the distance of workouts? Is someone who is willing to lie about this willing to do other dishonest stutf for his buddies?

I don't give a hoot about TLG one way or the other, except to say that he nailed the Preakness in a way few public handicappers ever do. But there are no little white lies when it comes to clockers- handicappers depend on these people and helping their buddies get into the race should end one's career as an official clocker.
Again, if what he says is true (and until all the facts come out, we really can't say one way or another), it wasn't a lie if the reported time for 4f is true, as part of the overall 5f work.

Sounds like some sort of technicality. If anything.

But not a lie. Unless what was reported publicly wasn't true.

If the horse worked 4f in that time, how is it a lie?

Don't horses work out further all the time past the actual reported workout? Worked 6f in 112 and galloped out 7f in 125...or something like that? Happens all the time, right? This case is kind of the opposite of that. But again, not a lie until proven otherwise.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-23-2022 at 10:42 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 11:03 PM   #13
the little guy

Do all lawyers jump to conclusions without all the facts or just the self-appointed PaceAdvantage lawyer?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2022, 11:51 PM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This is actually kinda laughable in the grand scheme of things.

Horse works 5f in 1:04.60

Rules say you need a 4f work and not one inch more...lmao

They give the 4f time and that is somehow devastatingly rule-breaking.

OK.

Whatever.

I'd appeal it also.

But hey...everything NYRA bad, right?
maybe the dumbest rule ever...i get getting some kind of punishment but in the grand scheme of people breaking rules this seems pretty petty.

The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation....Jerry Tarkanian.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 04:17 AM   #15
lamboguy

i am going to guarantee you that Richie didn't falsify a damn fxxxing thing. you should see what this man goes through at 7:15 a.m. in the stands where he clocks those horses and the telephone constantly ringing and 5 guys screaming in his ear all at once.

the guys at the wagering board need to be relieved of their jobs for impersonating humans that claim to do work.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: