Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #31
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Pavel had talent, no doubt about it. People with good opinions were touting him after his maiden win. His connections ruined him.

Setsuko, with 3 grade 1 placings, was often bet despite being eligible for allowance conditions. People were hoping he'd draw into the 2010 Kentucky Derby off his suck-up 2nd in the Santa Anita Derby. People thought he was robbed in the 2011 Big Cap won by Game On Dude. Classic sucker horse.

Ken Rudolph ranted and raved about Giacomo on TVG every chance he got. The horse was bet in several starts post-Derby despite never getting closer than 5-lengths to the winner in any of those races save the San Diego against some Grade 3-types.
Giacomo was a grade 3 type, grade 3 types can win grade 1's in the right scenarios. Giacomo would have been a nice horse to own, beyond the Ky Derby and all, he collected paychecks at a pretty good clip in big races.

Looking back on it you wonder how good that third place effort of Pavel really was in his second start, the horses in that race were ok. I think that race is what really elevated the opinion of him.

I do remember Setsucko a little, mostly with it being that he was not very good. I think I bet against him many times.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #32
Someday Silent

Hofburg, anyone?
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2020, 12:37 AM   #33
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
Hofburg, anyone?
Juddmonte already had 3 other entrants in the Virtual Sucker Bet race.

Kidding aside, Hofburg has been favored 3 times and won 2 of those. He's only been shorter than 5-1 in two other races. He is closing in on Setsuko status, though...especially if they end up gelding him.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2020, 12:46 AM   #34
GMB@BP

Quote:
Juddmonte already had 3 other entrants in the Virtual Sucker Bet race.

Kidding aside, Hofburg has been favored 3 times and won 2 of those. He's only been shorter than 5-1 in two other races. He is closing in on Setsuko status, though...especially if they end up gelding him.
I feel like Hofburg was flavor of the week for a very brief spell but never had the support that many on this list did.

And to be fair to this list, this is nitpicking very good horses. I know a few maidens that went 7 or 8 races taking alot of money while they searched for that illusive victory.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
Waquoit

Quote:
VIRTUAL SUCKER BET STAKES – 9 FURLONGS DIRT

1) BROTHER DEREK...
9) KISSIN KRIS...
Great list! I am still waiting for Kissin Kris...
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #36
classhandicapper

If Tacitus doesn't break out today against a Grade 2 field at 10F at Belmont with enough speed in the race to keep the pace honest, even the true believers will have to concede he was just another one of those promising 3yos that never developed and eventually was passed up by a lot of horses.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #37
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If Tacitus doesn't break out today against a Grade 2 field at 10F at Belmont with enough speed in the race to keep the pace honest, even the true believers will have to concede he was just another one of those promising 3yos that never developed and eventually was passed up by a lot of horses.
He feels like this is an overwhelming opportunity to get a win. Even with the scratch of Jovia there should be plenty of pace, 10F in a small field should be enough to work out a trip.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #38
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
He feels like this is an overwhelming opportunity to get a win. Even with the scratch of Jovia there should be plenty of pace, 10F in a small field should be enough to work out a trip.
You are responding to a completely disingenuous post. He and Mr. Buff are about equally likely to win today and that's pretty obvious to everyone.

Just more BS regarding Tacitus.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #39
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
IMO, this is what he needed.

He never really broke out the way you'd hope a lightly raced Wood Memorial winner should eventually. He's been a high 90s and low 100 Beyer horse for a long time. That gets you some wins and a piece of some major races early in your 3yo season, but it's not going to get many Grade 1 wins as the other 3yos start breaking out and you eventually have to face older.

At the Grade 2 level the easier competition should make for an easier trip. A low 100 figure could get the job done even if still doesn't break out.

It's not that's he a bad horse. He's a good horse. It's that his reputation and hype have exceeded what he was doing on the track. Very good horses overcome some of the less than ideal trips. Pretty good horses run 2nd, 3rd, or 4th with an excuse. They've been betting him like he's a very good horse, but so far he's just been pretty good. Here's one more chance to break out and hit a big new top, but he's running out of chances.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #40
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You are responding to a completely disingenuous post. He and Mr. Buff are about equally likely to win today and that's pretty obvious to everyone.

Andy,

My Buff is a very nice horse.

He's a way above average statebred stakes horse. But no one would confuse him with high level Grade 1 horse at this point. The reason he has a chance against Tacitus is that this a Grade 2 event and because Tacitus is not a legitimate Grade 1 horse at this stage either.

Get it?

That's the point of contention.

The Tacitus fans (and I was one early on) keep making him out to be a very good Grade 1 horse who has just had some bad luck. The problem is that he hasn't developed much and still hasn't broken out to the Grade 1 level. At some point you have to look at reality. He was precocious at 3 winning the Wood, had a few tough trips, but so far he's still not a Grade 1 horse. He just gets bet and hyped like one by some people. That's why he's been such a big money burner (taking some of my money with him early on).

It's not too late for him to break out. Today may be the day. But if he loses this Grade 2, he's simply not the horse people were hoping he could become a year ago. That's all. And if you were honest with yourself you'd admit that rather than arguing with reality because you like the horse.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It worries me the blinkers are going back on. It feels like a guessing game at this point for Bill Mott, somebody that certainly knows what he is doing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #42
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It worries me the blinkers are going back on. It feels like a guessing game at this point for Bill Mott, somebody that certainly knows what he is doing.
Not that I understand Mott's thinking, but I don't think it would be the worst idea if he was sitting 2nd or 3rd behind Mr Buff hoping that one doesn't want the last furlong and then having first move on Sir Winston in case that one is ready for a breakout performance.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #43
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

Maybe your right, Mr Buff certainly has run better races lately but Tacitus has shown some real class and combined with the distance feels like he will be a strong favorite in the race and and the tote board.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #44
burnsy
self medicated

I made fun of him....... but this is a group he’s supposed to beat. I could never “single” this horse, but if he doesn’t win today ? I don’t care what the excuse is you gotta wonder if he’s just one that hangs every time
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

One thing is for certain.....there will not be a Handicap Triple winner this year.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: