Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-27-2022, 11:34 AM   #241
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
I'm so tired of this apathetic response. The point is to deter as much as you can. I don't think anyone is naive enough to think all of it can be prevented. Are you okay with the heightened security checks at airports? I'm a law abiding citizen. To me, a background check is a small price to pay to save even one life.
Yeah…..you probably know more about taking guns off the street.

I give……
Old 05-27-2022, 11:35 AM   #242
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I have read reports that the shooter walked around the school for 12 minutes and then entered the school through an unlocked door. If the door had been locked like it should have been, I wonder if that extra time would have been enough for the cops to get there and prevent him from eventually entering.
Meanwhile, the sane people of the world wonder if he didn't have access to those weapons would a bunch of kids still be alive.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 05-27-2022 at 11:38 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #243
P.Rosa
Gambler

This thread is treating all mass shootings the same.

The Uvalde school murders should have never happened.
All of the entrance doors to the school should have been closed and locked.

Somebody broke the rules and left the employee parking lot entrance unlocked in order to give the staff easy access.
If the doors had been looked the shooter would have not been able to enter.

The person that left the doors unlocked should be brought to justice.

It's easy follow the rules.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #244
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Meanwhile, the sane people of the world wonder if he didn't have access to those weapons if a bunch of kids would still be alive.
Actually, the sane people of this world know that a psychopath left alone to his own devices, is gonna psychopath given whatever tools remain at his or her disposal.

What can you say, with absolute certainty, could or should have been in place, that would have absolutely prevented the tragedy in Uvalde from taking place?
Old 05-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #245
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rosa View Post

Somebody broke the rules and left the employee parking lot entrance unlocked in order to give the staff easy access.

Well, there's an answer to the question I just asked...that had nothing to do with gun control laws.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #246
xtb

Quote:
Meanwhile, the sane people of the world wonder if he didn't have access to those weapons would a bunch of kids still be alive.
One of those two things is incredibly simple to do and was a policy that was broken.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #247
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Actually, the sane people of this world know that a psychopath left alone to his own devices, is gonna psychopath given whatever tools remain at his or her disposal.

What can you say, with absolute certainty, could or should have been in place, that would have absolutely prevented the tragedy in Uvalde from taking place?
If you think anything can be prevented with absolute certainty, then you're just being childish.

The point is that prevention works. People are alive today simply because it's illegal to murder them.
If those types of guns were not able to legally be obtained, many murders would have been prevented. Fact.

You're giving a crazy 18yr old too much credit...believing he will stop at nothing in his quest to commit mass murder.
Sometimes, when people cool off (ya know, like a waiting period to buy a gun), they come to their senses and no longer want to rage out and kill people.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #248
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Precogs
Old 05-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #249
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:

You actually think that if the doors were all locked he would have put his guns away and gone home?

"Damn, the doors are locked. Oh well, what a dumb idea this was; guess I'll head home"
Old 05-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #250
xtb

Quote:
If you think anything can be prevented with absolute certainty, then you're just being childish.

The point is that prevention works. People are alive today simply because it's illegal to murder them.
If those types of guns were not able to legally be obtained, many murders would have been prevented. Fact.

You're giving a crazy 18yr old too much credit...believing he will stop at nothing in his quest to commit mass murder.
Sometimes, when people cool off (ya know, like a waiting period to buy a gun), they come to their senses and no longer want to rage out and kill people.
Do you really believe that someone puts off murdering someone because they realize it's illegal? And, he could have just as easily killed those kids with a pump shotgun.

It does not sound like this kid was ever going to come to his senses.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #251
PressThePace

Quote:
I have read reports that the shooter walked around the school for 12 minutes and then entered the school through an unlocked door. If the door had been locked like it should have been, I wonder if that extra time would have been enough for the cops to get there and prevent him from eventually entering.
Maybe, but despite several recent safety measures, it's very difficult to 100% safety-proof a school building. There are people coming and going all day. I definitely believe it's worth it to try and I know of many instances where bad things have been avoided. Several dynamics in play from school layout to geography to on-campus traffic to and from classes.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #252
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yeah…..you probably know more about taking guns off the street.

I give……
I'm no more an authority than you are. I just believe that we have to take unprecedented measures to facilitate a change. Clearly, what we have done hasn't worked. I apologize if my response offended you. I realize that none of us on this board want tp see these horrific events keep unfolding.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #253
boxcar

Quote:

This is one of the questions I raised yesterday, since Texas, apparently, already has some pretty stringent school security laws on the books. Not only did this kid find an unlocked door,while walking around with his AR-15 in broad daylight, but he eluded all the campus cameras in the process of his search. How did this happen? How did he remain invisible to everyone once on the campus?
Old 05-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #254
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
I'm no more an authority than you are. I just believe that we have to take unprecedented measures to facilitate a change. Clearly, what we have done hasn't worked. I apologize if my response offended you. I realize that none of us on this board want tp see these horrific events keep unfolding.
The only real change that can affect human behavior must come from within. Change that comes from without is nothing but a band aid fix.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:09 PM   #255
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Do you really believe that someone puts off murdering someone because they realize it's illegal? And, he could have just as easily killed those kids with a pump shotgun.

It does not sound like this kid was ever going to come to his senses.
Yes, I really believe many people do not commit crimes because they don't want to risk spending years (or the rest of their life) in jail. You don't believe that?
What kind of ridiculous question is that?

The fact of the matter is that he DIDN'T use a pump shot gun. Maybe he could have killed them with a knife, BUT HE DIDN'T.
He DID use an AR-15. I presume he used that because it's real easy to wipe out an entire room in about 25 seconds.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: