Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #31
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Rich Strike out. Connections saving the horse for the Belmont Stakes.
I told them yesterday that this was the way to go; I'm glad they listened to me
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #32
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
I think what you said will prove out to happen, Vic.

Like you, just my opinion.
This is why they are Elite Thoroughbred Trainers...and I nitpick Sprint Races to bet.

Old 05-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #33
Someday Silent

Fascinating how the Preakness is becoming the "red-headed step child" of the Triple Crown, when Preakness winners have arguably had the most success at championships and at stud than other classic winners.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #34
jay68802

Secret Oath is entered in the Preakness.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #35
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
Fascinating how the Preakness is becoming the "red-headed step child" of the Triple Crown, when Preakness winners have arguably had the most success at championships and at stud than other classic winners.
With where racing is going, it is getting harder and harder NOT to believe they'll space out the Triple Crown races. The Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes absolutely dwarf the Preakness in popularity, respect, and trainer/owner intent.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 'new' Triple Crown of the Kentucky Derby, Belmont, and Travers Stakes comes about eventually. The Belmont could move back and Travers could move forward in the calendar.

Likely crazy talk to myself. At the very least, the Preakness will change to Laurel at some point in time, right?
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #36
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
With where racing is going, it is getting harder and harder NOT to believe they'll space out the Triple Crown races. The Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes absolutely dwarf the Preakness in popularity, respect, and trainer/owner intent.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 'new' Triple Crown of the Kentucky Derby, Belmont, and Travers Stakes comes about eventually. The Belmont could move back and Travers could move forward in the calendar.

Likely crazy talk to myself. At the very least, the Preakness will change to Laurel at some point in time, right?
Whatever the TC will be, Stronach owns 1/3 of it and just signed a contract obligating them to keep it at Pimlico
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #37
Bigadam119

The numbers don’t lie and they say Preakness day is the 2nd biggest day for racing in most years. To see the race being deprioritized in any way is not a good thing overall in my opinion. To put it in perspective Preakness day handle last year was more than double Travers day and slightly higher than Breeders Cup Saturday.
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #38
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigadam119 View Post
The numbers don’t lie and they say Preakness day is the 2nd biggest day for racing in most years. To see the race being deprioritized in any way is not a good thing overall in my opinion. To put it in perspective Preakness day handle last year was more than double Travers day and slightly higher than Breeders Cup Saturday.
I would assume that NBC has something to say here too (I would not be surprised if they have approval power over a change in dates, at least unless the change is done when the TV contract turns over). NBC's incentives are conflicting- on the one hand, they definitely want the Derby winner in the Preakness every year. On the other hand, the compactness of the TC is probably a significant part of its attractiveness to television. If you spread it out a lot it might very well get lower ratings, because you lose that anticipation that builds when the races go bang-bang-bang.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #39
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post

I see your point and don't disagree with the topic of spacing. I was simply highlighting how the Preakness deserves more respect because of what the winners did overall (even independently of a TC sweep).

Off the top of my head, Preakness winners who ended up being champs: Prairie Bayou, Hansel, Looking at Lucky, Point Given, Rachel Alexandra, Swiss Skydiver, Bernardini, Afleet Alex, Curlin, Big Brown, California Chrome, Pleasant Colony, Snow Chief, and Alysheba.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #40
Robert Fischer
clean money

Early Vthoughts

Friday
Pim Special - I kinda thought Untreated was a little better than Vindictive. I don't really know for certain, and I could be wrong. Vindictive shorter ml odds and gets Irad, for 'Pletch owners Grandview/Cheyenne/LNJ Foxwoods.
Rosario is no slouch, and they both kinda try to sit a trip and whoever fires (or both) of the two could be competitive.
Maybe Irad will be aggressive from the rail. He's a good enough rider on a talented horse and isn't 'forced' to go, but forward (not Forewarned) is good in this race on paper.

Capocostello and First Captain are both attractive prices with similar hopes. both have upsides and talent. Purely on trips and ml price the is interesting. While the has a significant class drop and an opportunity to truly 'fire'.

is a pace player and a fair ml price, however I am more interested in a couple other locals to potentially join the pace party - - Excellorator and Treasure Trove are potentially pace players. Both have upsides.

Maybe the 4 gets loose, or maybe there is a little bit of a pace-vacuum there. Either 7 or 9 is capable of moving into 2nd and there is a little bit of time to gain early position if you break, which could save you a path into the first turn and just be in a prized forward position in this one.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-17-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #41
Robert Fischer
clean money

Friday Black Eyed Susan

r13

the Adare Manor was probably best in the Santa Anita Oaks, didn't draw into the Kentucky Oaks and looks tough in here.

The Interstatedaydreamer is another talented filly for another good trainer.

could be some force-the-issue pace, especially with these two talented chalks trying to get over and save some ground.

the Distinctlypossible is clearly a contender that fits. 2nd Alcibiades, exits that nice MSW Kee. Irad gets to sit a trip stalking some pace.

Two less obvious contenders = Divine Huntress - she must improve, but Prat gets a chance to show off here, drawing the rail with a possible surplus of outside early pace into the first turn. Not certain she's good enough but 15/1ml gets a ticket slot.
Similar deal Miss Yearwood. 20/1. exits 2nd in the Kee MSW vs the , and then came back to win a 10f MSW CD. Looks more emphasis tix bottom of SU, Tri.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #42
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Secret Oath is entered in the Preakness.
Mixed feelings.

She's had a rough trip in the Arkansas Derby, but that was not one of the better Debry preps. If she couldn't win there, can she beat these?

Part of me thinks she fits well with everyone other than Epicenter on his best day and part of me thinks she could easily finish off the board behind Epicenter, Simplification, a forward moving Early Voting and Creative Minister and maybe even Skippylongstocking (imo his Wood was better than he looks).
Old 05-18-2022, 09:33 PM   #43
Robert Fischer
clean money

Preakness

chalky win and probably exacta...

trying to get some of the value horses on the bottom of the ticket.

Creative Minister 10/1 - looks legit. A little hard to know his whole story w/ 3 lifetime starts, but took money debut, & has been improving. Allowance win last time was solid and kind of circled field after missing the break. The place horse that he ran down (Cover Me Up, Baltas) was a betback for me that day, so I've 'capped that race and this horse.
Happy Jack 30/1 - Laugh all the way to the bank. Not too many other people liked this horse going into the Derby. Fractious in the gate and didn't break. Stays the course. Runs to his ability he can round out a ticket.
Skippylongstocking 20/1 -Wood alone was good enough to run 4th or 3rd. Also some surprising 'depth' to this horse. Pretty cool horse. All goes smoothly he may participate or even have a realistic chance in a race like the Haskell.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: