Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #151
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
No question about it. I put up a Youtube video yesterday showing which horses I want to watch out of the race. Zozos ran a very good race. Of the horses that ran with the pace, Zozos finished in front of the others. I'd like to see them put him in races from 6 furlongs to a mile and a sixteenth or maybe even a mile and an eighth.

But Epicenter and Zandon were far enough back where they had no excuse. Zandon had a perfect trip, just wasn't good enough. But, he only had four races coming into this, so maybe Zandon can move forward. Epicenter had 6 races and a solid foundation, not sure if he's going to move up off this.
I wouldn't call Zandon's trip perfect. Felt that Prat never found himself in a position where he could let his mount gear down and settle like so many C. Brown horses do during their races.

First he had to use Zandon heading into the 1st turn to secure the rail and the stalking trip behind Epicenter, having to hold Lanerie and Smile Happy out of that spot. Then, found himself in a race with Lanerie for the latter portion of the backstretch, having to use more of his mount than he probably wanted to keep his position heading into the far turn, especially when having to negotiate around Summer is Tomorrow. Thought it took enough steam out of his horse to take away from it's finish.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #152
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
This is Mr. Ouzts, sporting the colors of Bushwood racing a couple years ago.

<----
I was watching him ride at Beulah Park when I was in Junior High school
Old 05-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #153
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I believe that. You must be old!!!
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2022, 07:18 AM   #154
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
You must share with us. Where were you, and how much did you wager and win upon the most masterful ride from one Paul Revere?
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2022, 09:10 AM   #155
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I wouldn't call Zandon's trip perfect. Felt that Prat never found himself in a position where he could let his mount gear down and settle like so many C. Brown horses do during their races.

First he had to use Zandon heading into the 1st turn to secure the rail and the stalking trip behind Epicenter, having to hold Lanerie and Smile Happy out of that spot. Then, found himself in a race with Lanerie for the latter portion of the backstretch, having to use more of his mount than he probably wanted to keep his position heading into the far turn, especially when having to negotiate around Summer is Tomorrow. Thought it took enough steam out of his horse to take away from it's finish.
You make good points. Rich Strike staying close to the inside was ideal.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #156
classhandicapper

One of the tricky things about trips is people view things in a different light and it lad to communication issues.

1. A horse can get a better/worse trip than other horses in the race without it necessarily being good/bad.

If three horses are engaged in a savage duel, the horse sitting just off them is getting a better trip than them, but not necessarily a good one depending on how fast they were all going.

Did he get a good trip if he was also running too fast? No

Did he get a trip that helped him win? Possibly, depending on who was behind him.

2. What does a "good rail" mean?

For some people it means the rail is clearly the fastest path and is moving horses up relative their typical performance.

For some people it just means saving ground is an advantage (as it should be on the typical day).
Old 05-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #157
porchy44

Quote:
Then you remember the chants of "OOOOOUZTS" after he would win a race there.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #158
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Then you remember the chants of "OOOOOUZTS" after he would win a race there.
Remember?

I was chanting!!
Old 05-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #159
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Psychology is what kills most in this game.
Indubitably.

With Rich Strike skipping the Preakness, I can't wait to see how psychology plays out.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2022, 04:23 PM   #160
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Before the twins?
Old 05-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #161
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Psychology is what kills most in this game.
There was a guy who wrote about this. I remember reading it, first half was handicapping, second half was Psych....and the second half made cents.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #162
mountainman

I think a greatly neglected aspect of the endless and incredibly esoteric trip "break-downs" now flooding social media in this derby's after-math (Surely, sometime soon some enterprising podcast will trump All observers by analyzing every single STRIDE taken by every single horse) is the near certainty of TROUBLE FROM BEHIND had any rider amidst a hurried but clean voyage suddenly snatched back and submitted to getting passed, crossed over, and/or (in the case of wide-runners) put on a backwards treadmill.

That, fellow posters, no doubt and somewhat understandably compelled a few (now maligned) jocks to keep right on peddling hard through the torrid interiors of an historically destructive pace. And I'm not talking about the speeds.

A rating hold I'm sure seemed a luxury few riders felt they could afford in that epic cavalry charge.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-16-2022 at 12:20 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #163
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Zandon got bounced around by the 9 just after the start and may also have been bumped by the 11. This potentially cost the horse several lengths at the start. Rubbin's racin' in the Derby but Zandon potentially wins the race with a clean start and we end up with another Commanding Curve clunk up scenario.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #164
Bustin Stones

I've posted before....if you limit the field to 16 you eliminate a lot of the bothered trips. Each entrant deserves a real shot at winning the race and it's an important race to win.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #165
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

That, fellow posters, no doubt and somewhat understandably compelled a few (now maligned) jocks to keep right on peddling hard through the torrid interiors of an historically destructive pace. And I'm not talking about the speeds.

A rating hold I'm sure seemed a luxury few riders felt they could afford in that epic cavalry charge.
Agreed.

That’s a point I’ve been bringing up about some of the horses that were both wide and trying to maintain position. You could be off the pace and still used pretty hard trying to keep up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: