Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-04-2022, 03:08 AM   #1
lamboguy

the triple play

this is some type of new bet at Belmont Park...does anyone know exactly what it is? what the takeout is? and is the CAW allowed in that pool?
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
this is some type of new bet at Belmont Park...does anyone know exactly what it is? what the takeout is? and is the CAW allowed in that pool?
https://www.nyra.com/belmont/news/ny...t-belmont-park

Pretty sure someone already talked about this but here is a writeup about the new wager:

Featuring a $3 bet minimum and 24 percent takeout, the NYRA Triple Play will cover the final three races of Sunday cards throughout the 44-day spring summer meet. Each NYRA Triple Play will feature a mandatory payout of the net pool. Wagering on the NYRA Triple Play will be available on ADW platforms and at simulcast facilities across the country.

The NYRA Triple Play will launch on May 1, the first Sunday of the spring/summer meet, which opens on April 28 and will offer 59 stakes races worth $16.95 million in total purse money.

The retail-only NYRA Triple Play is the latest piece of a NYRA pilot program designed to reward the everyday player with opportunities for significant payouts. In 2021, NYRA replaced its $.20 jackpot Empire Pick 6 with a $1 Pick 6 available to retail customers only. Previous to that, NYRA restricted both the Late Pick 5 and the Cross-Country Pick 5 to retail customers only.

6 days ago it was reported that the new takeout is now 19% not 24%
Old 05-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=170364
Old 05-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Boomer

I hope they have enough parking spots to accommodate the massive crowds this new bet will likely bring!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I hope they have enough parking spots to accommodate the massive crowds this new bet will likely bring!

My Bad....Looks like this bet was made for ADW customers only. Making it even a stupider idea.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
My Bad....Looks like this bet was made for ADW customers only. Making it even a stupider idea.
its not stupid. anytime a track is rewarding its customers allowing them to bet without the CAW in the pools gives the player some type of a Chinaman's chance.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #7
Boomer

Not sure where I see these wagers cannot be bet by the CAWS nor do I understand, even if they were not allowed, what advantage do I get.

I will say I am not the mathematician or analyst in this discussion. I just handicap horses.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
its not stupid. anytime a track is rewarding its customers allowing them to bet without the CAW in the pools gives the player some type of a [] chance.
Correct. Horse racing has a lot of problems, but "those computer guys are manipulating the pools" is a mortal threat. The perception of fixed races completely killed harness racing in Southern California, which was once huge. Good for NYRA for trying to create bets that these guys can't infiltrate.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Correct. Horse racing has a lot of problems, but "those computer guys are manipulating the pools" is a mortal threat. The perception of fixed races completely killed harness racing in Southern California, which was once huge. Good for NYRA for trying to create bets that these guys can't infiltrate.

Harness Racing in SoCal was fixed before computers were even part of the equation. I know, I was there in the late 70s and early 80s. Likewise, it has been fixed in many jurisdictions. Do you think Ross Cohen was giving out envelopes at Monticello and Yonkers to benefit the computer guys. Think again.

CAWS have nothing to do with fixed harness races. At the high handle tracks the purses are too high for the drivers to take envelopes and I don't think the low handle tracks do the CAWS any good whatsoever.

I am trying to understand the anxiety over CAW but your analogy did not help.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Harness Racing in SoCal was fixed before computers were even part of the equation. I know, I was there in the late 70s and early 80s. Likewise, it has been fixed in many jurisdictions. Do you think Ross Cohen was giving out envelopes at Monticello and Yonkers to benefit the computer guys. Think again.

CAWS have nothing to do with fixed harness races. At the high handle tracks the purses are too high for the drivers to take envelopes and I don't think the low handle tracks do the CAWS any good whatsoever.

I am trying to understand the anxiety over CAW but your analogy did not help.
My analogy is that in any gambling game, the perception that someone is manipulating betting, pools, odds, or fixing events, is absolutely deadly. If a cardroom openly tolerates cheating, eventually nobody will play there. If a poker website fills up with bots, the legitimate players leave. If harness races are fixed, players bolt.

This is an absolute mortal threat to horse racing. If players ultimately conclude "these computer guys with their last second bets are sucking all the money out of the pools and have an unfair advantage", that is literally the end of American horse racing.

The tracks absolutely HAVE TO create bets and pools and devices that exclude those people from at least some bets. They have to create bets where ordinary horseplayers feel they can get some value without having it taken away from them by pool manipulation. What NYRA is doing is a necessity, and we are going to see more things like it in the future.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #11
ranchwest

What does "retail-only" mean? Apparently it is positive enough to tout it. If that is the case, why aren't all wagers "retail-only"?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: