Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #301
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
They were already sentenced to life in prison for the actual crime of murder.

Hate crime laws are kinda pointless in my opinion. What is the point, exactly?

When you murder someone, often times it's because of hate. Regardless of the reason for the hate. So....again, what's the point?

Name one "federal hate crime" that doesn't also fall under the regular criminal code. I dare you.

The point is to satisfy some sort of neolib agenda. It doesn't actually serve any purpose. Nor does it make much sense.

But I guess if it makes a liberal feel better, good reason to waste more money, like a lot of things in this world.
The difference is that the reason the crime was committed was because of the victim’s race, or sexual orientation, or religion, ext. Had Aubrey been white, the believe is they would not have murdered him.

These type of crimes terrorize their victims and their cohort more than regular crime. Without tracking it, how would you know of a sudden increase and make the public aware? Like recently with Asian-Americans.

As for punishment, a federal conviction may carry a death sentence whereas the state the crime occurred in may have abolished it.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 08:42 PM   #302
Poindexter

Quote:
They were already sentenced to life in prison for the actual crime of murder.

Hate crime laws are kinda pointless in my opinion. What is the point, exactly?

When you murder someone, often times it's because of hate. Regardless of the reason for the hate. So....again, what's the point?

Name one "federal hate crime" that doesn't also fall under the regular criminal code. I dare you.

The point is to satisfy some sort of neolib agenda. It doesn't actually serve any purpose. Nor does it make much sense.

But I guess if it makes a liberal feel better, good reason to waste more money, like a lot of things in this world.
It may be a little bit futile, but at the same time I have no problem with it. There is a strong need to eliminate hate crimes in society. The mental toll these types of cases have on all minorities when they happen is real and legitimate. You see an uptick in anti asian crimes and you literally see the fear on the faces of Asian folks they interview. Black people have been abused in our society for so many years. Every time one of these cases happens it just brings up so much pain for many black people (not everyone is Larry Elder and this is not a criticism). They wonder if that might be them or their family member sometime in the future. Rational or irrational, it is real fear and a real pain and I have no problem with our society trying to combat it. Just the effort of our Federal Government saying this is intolerable and we are doing what we can to stop these crimes is a victory in itself. It is an effort to let minorities know they have a place in our society and the government is behind their group 100 %.

People should not commit crimes anyways, but to target someone because they are a specific race, religion, sexuality......has no place in our society. We all have enough problems without having to fear walking down the street. So on this subject, you can call me a liberal.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #303
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
Like recently with Asian-Americans.
Speaking of which, can you give me the racial breakdown of these attackers of Asian-Americans? You have the stats at your disposal, yes?

I've heard it's mostly MAGA whites. Is that true?

Because all the evidence I keep seeing (at least here in NY) is that it seems there are a lot of African-Americans assaulting Asian-Americans.

I would love a peek at the official numbers. And you probably have a link handy at your disposal. Might clear up this myth for me.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #304
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Speaking of which, can you give me the racial breakdown of these attackers of Asian-Americans? You have the stats at your disposal, yes?

I've heard it's mostly MAGA whites. Is that true?

Because all the evidence I keep seeing (at least here in NY) is that it seems there are a lot of African-Americans assaulting Asian-Americans.

I would love a peek at the official numbers. And you probably have a link handy at your disposal. Might clear up this myth for me.

Sorry, I don't have that data.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #305
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have that data.
Sure you don’t.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:07 AM   #306
GaryG
Unreconstructed

If there are going to be hate crimes then the law must be applied to all races and ethnic groups. White people do not commit all of the so called hate crimes.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:13 AM   #307
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
If there are going to be hate crimes then the law must be applied to all races and ethnic groups. White people do not commit all of the so called hate crimes.
White people got no business playin' the blues ever... What the **** do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? Huh? The espresso machine is jammed? ... Shit, white people ought to understand their job is to give people the blues, not to get them.

……….George Carlin
Old 02-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #308
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Sure you don’t.

I made a comment, I'm not writing a dissertation on the subject. I'm sure it is very fine people on both side who are committing hate crimes.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #309
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The only stats I could find are from 2019 in an article written last year.

Quote:
the 2019 Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) report showing that 27.5 percent of violent criminals targeting an Asian victim are black and only 24.1 percent are white; my own analysis of a set of more than 100 recent high-profile cases reaches similar conclusions. Further, textual analysis of past writing from publications such as the New York Times and California’s SFGate indicates that this basic pattern of crime has persisted for decades and is visible in recent attacks not only on Asians but on Jews as well.
https://www.commentary.org/articles/...ite-supremacy/
Old 02-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #310
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hate crimes.......if someone shoots me, I hope to Hell he hates me.
I would hope my friends wouldn't do it.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #311
CaptainObvious

I found this. https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/h...ime-statistics
Old 02-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #312
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I found this:

https://sharylattkisson.com/2022/02/...s-in-one-week/
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #313
jay68802

Quote:
I made a comment, I'm not writing a dissertation on the subject. I'm sure it is very fine people on both side who are committing hate crimes.
I highly doubt this.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #314
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Anecdotal at best. Keep trying though.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #315
CaptainObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post