Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 12:40 AM   #31
ranchwest

Let's get straight to the heart of the matter. Past posting is cheating.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #32
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It isn't just perception. There have been verified instances of past posting because of mistakes being made, even recently. So it is also a safety measure.
I am sure you are right.

If you have any links, please post.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2022, 01:21 AM   #33
Poindexter

This thread reminded me that a while back (maybe a year ago, longer?) the guy at Am Wager said they were coming out with some kind of program that predicts what a horse will go off at? or maybe analyzes how much betting it is getting in all pools?. Does anyone have any feedback on how well that program works in predicting these late odds drops.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #34
Bustin Stones

In my many years of being on track and rubbing elbows with other gamblers, most of us are in the "shoulda" category. As in "I shoulda seen that and that would have changed my bet."
I contend that even if the betting window closed one fourth of the way into the race, nobody's results would improve significantly. Front runners fade, the closers haven't made a move, and horses bothered coming out of the gate still win.
The advantage one gets at the trotters knowing who took the lead before betting isn't useful elsewhere.
This idea that closing the betting window early prevents someone from having an unfair edge is fantasy. The folks who bet just before the window closes are at the same disadvantage everyone else suffers. They won't know the final odds until the bets are tallied. Even if that occurs after the race is over for 10 minutes.
Perceptions? Once you've made up your mind that your results suffer from forces beyond legitimate ones, you won't be convinced otherwise. That is too uncomfortable. Gamblers cannot permit themselves to admit to it.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #35
sharkey11

its a simple job for simple people and it goes like this all i mean all wagers are stoped after the bell rings and theres only 1 odds flash when horses are off until the finish of race not 3 flashes during the race like it is now.
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #36
sharkey11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
This thread reminded me that a while back (maybe a year ago, longer?) the guy at Am Wager said they were coming out with some kind of program that predicts what a horse will go off at? or maybe analyzes how much betting it is getting in all pools?. Does anyone have any feedback on how well that program works in predicting these late odds drops.
i asked the guy to show us what they were holding in there pools and was told hey thats never going to happen as to your comment i havnt a clue on it
Old 02-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Good thing it was only 5.5 furlongs, if it were much longer he'd have been even money.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #38
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
its a simple job for simple people and it goes like this all i mean all wagers are stoped after the bell rings and theres only 1 odds flash when horses are off until the finish of race not 3 flashes during the race like it is now.
That wasn't too difficult when all wagers were on track and through tellers. The tellers just stopped selling tickets when the bell rang... and their ticket machine shut down.

With internet wagering, hubs, onsite electronic wagering, etc., what do you do if something doesn't function right? How long does it take to know something didn't function right? What if someone is hacking your computer system during the race? Do you know they're hacking? What if a hub is intentionally or unintentionally allowing wagers after the cutoff? What if someone hacks the hub? These are just a few of the questions to deal with today.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #39
sharkey11

thats right ranch but the bottom line is it could happen if it didnt cost all of them any $$ but it wont because none of these new and modern types of bet takers and the tracks will not spend any on a sport thats in different jurisdiction's and a declining sport !
Old 02-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #40
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
thats right ranch but the bottom line is it could happen if it didnt cost all of them any $$ but it wont because none of these new and modern types of bet takers and the tracks will not spend any on a sport thats in different jurisdiction's and a declining sport !
It's tough for the technology department to be better than the marketing department supports and we know what that means.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #41
Ahorsewithnoname

This is happening in more than half the races I watch. The funny thing is w/e horse is getting bet down with the late $ ends up winning the race. To me it seems this happens a lot with favorites.
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #42
Ahorsewithnoname

It just happened at Mahoning Race 5 with #8
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #43
lamboguy

i have had a few that went up during the race lately, not enough to make up for the ones that go down though.

for a few years i was able to stay away from the ones that go down, now its just about impossible.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #44
Bustin Stones

As long as the horse that drops late to be the favorite is the daily double favorite, it's just late money catching up. Or if the late money comes closer to agreement with the daily double pricing, it's just late money catching up.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply