Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
Jim Brown walked away from the Browns when he was in his prime.

I will give you that one, he was still a dominate player when he walked away, even though he was approaching the expiration date for running backs of being 30 years old.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
John Elway won back to back Super Bowls and retired

That is true, but it was the improvement of the team around him that sent him off a winner, not him playing at a high level late in his career.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:29 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I will give you that one, he was still a dominate player when he walked away, even though he was approaching the expiration date for running backs of being 30 years old.
Barry Sanders too, also Calvin Johnson.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 05:51 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Barry Sanders too, also Calvin Johnson.

I think Barry Sanders last year was his worst in per carry average, correct me if I am wrong, he was tailing off.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:11 AM   #20
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakorum Kabbage View Post
It's a timing thing. Tom Corp wants to control the details.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1487550630218588163
I can still hit those ears at a 1,000 yards....ooops, eerm sorry, Brady has mentioned several times here that he was trying to go to 45yrs old, then pull the pin. (or when she says so )
Old 02-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #21
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakorum Kabbage View Post
It's a timing thing. Tom Corp wants to control the details.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1487550630218588163
FAKE NEWS, huh? or just a breaking news story even before Tom knew, like the Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #22
davew

he folded under the pressure and caved
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2022, 01:17 AM   #23
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

A Season

Ecc. Ch 3 "For everything there is a season, a time to be born, and a time to die, a time to plant, a time to pluck up that which has been planted, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance, a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together, a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to seek, a time to lose, a time to keep silence, and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, atime for war, and a time for peace".

Maybe at 45 years of age,it's time....it might possibly be appropriate. What ya say?
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #24
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Marino
Montana
Manning
Elway

Brady benefited from playing in the worst division in football for 20+ years

3 of the Superbowls he was along for the ride

The early Pats dynasty all defense

Brady in my opinion wouldve a tough time putting up his numbers in the 80s,90s.

Brady great qb for sure

The goat nah just my opinion.

Greatest football player i ever saw Lawrence Taylor,Jerry Rice #2
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2022, 09:28 AM   #25
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Marino
Montana
Manning
Elway

Brady benefited from playing in the worst division in football for 20+ years

3 of the Superbowls he was along for the ride

The early Pats dynasty all defense

Brady in my opinion wouldve a tough time putting up his numbers in the 80s,90s.

Brady great qb for sure

The goat nah just my opinion.

Greatest football player i ever saw Lawrence Taylor,Jerry Rice #2
I used to think that Brady was great but a bit overrated since the Patriots literally went 14-6 with second-string quarterbacks in games where he couldn't play due to either injury or suspension in his career with them. In other words, they won regardless of who was quarterback. At one point they won 8 games in a row without Brady (over two different seasons). They protected their quarterbacks and were well-coached. But, Brady did win a SB with another team, so I can certainly understand the accolades. He's a remarkable success story considering that there are quarterbacks that had more natural ability with much less success. But Belichick's teams always have an offensive line that protects the quarterback, and so many teams can't seem to put together a good O-line. And, on some of those Patriots teams, Brady did accomplish a lot without great receivers.

I think Lawrence Taylor was the best defensive player I've ever seen.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #26
Robert Fischer
clean money

I agree that I don't think Brady was the GOAT.

The fame and the rings stuff carries a lot of that hype in my opinion. In that respect he deserves it. He's arguably more successful and famous than any of them.

Brady had a lot of class and 'intangibles' that elevated him beyond just a pro bowler on some great teams. Played intelligently. Usually had perfect chemistry with a WR or two. Played just as good or better in 'crunch time'.

I have no idea who the GOAT was (so it's tough for me to even rule out Brady, Montana, etc...)
Ray Lewis seemed like one of them. LT was amazing.

QB is the 'MVP' position, and I have a bias towards defense. When I see a defensive player who changes the way the offense runs plays, and changes his own team's 'culture', and then is out there making game-changing plays, I'm impressed.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I used to think that Brady was great but a bit overrated since the Patriots literally went 14-6 with second-string quarterbacks in games where he couldn't play due to either injury or suspension in his career with them. In other words, they won regardless of who was quarterback. At one point they won 8 games in a row without Brady (over two different seasons). They protected their quarterbacks and were well-coached. But, Brady did win a SB with another team, so I can certainly understand the accolades. He's a remarkable success story considering that there are quarterbacks that had more natural ability with much less success. But Belichick's teams always have an offensive line that protects the quarterback, and so many teams can't seem to put together a good O-line. And, on some of those Patriots teams, Brady did accomplish a lot without great receivers.

I think Lawrence Taylor was the best defensive player I've ever seen.
entertaining and true short clip;
Old 02-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #28
Marshall Bennett

A lot of dislike for Brady stems from the same reasons other greats have experienced. If he indeed retires, I bet it won't be due to his age.
When you look at his stats, super bowls, longevity, ect. its really hard to find anyone equal in success. To say his success hinged upon a weak division, a quality line supporting him, good receivers, and a host of other excuses, his personality and media attention is what people truly dislike. His performance, one that is well defined in print, can't be denied.
I was never a huge fan, but respect I will give him. Imo, he's the greatest quarterback to ever step on the field.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #29
burnsy
self medicated

As a Bills fan he just crucified us constantly. At the beginning he was just a game manager on a really good team but Tom Brady developed into the best QB this game has ever seen. Lasted longer at an extremely high level til the end. This game is so violent and demanding that I thought he would of retired years ago just for safety sake. After all, what was there left to prove? His arm strength, accuracy and timing were impressive even this year but the fact is his legs couldn’t move like they used to . He was a sitting duck in that last game vs the Rams and I think he really felt the pressure like he never has before. If the Rams hadn’t fumbled so many times that game gets really ugly . At his age it’s a miracle that he still could play that well…. But he’s the GOAT 🐐. People sit there blaming his family but how much more did they expect from Tom Brady? After all , his family is watching as guys 10 to 20 years younger are literally trying to rip a limb off. And there were a few times in that last game that it almost happened. The fact is football is a small window and he had the biggest window of them all. Time is always against you but in this game it’s even more so. Reality: it’s a young man’s sport . This was his time. No one on a football field can claim they’ve done more than Tom Brady. He even walked away while he was still a top QB in this league . The key being he walked…… under his own power, with his head held high. Good for him!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #30
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
As a Bills fan he just crucified us constantly. At the beginning he was just a game manager on a really good team but Tom Brady developed into the best QB this game has ever seen. Lasted longer at an extremely high level til the end. This game is so violent and demanding that I thought he would of retired years ago just for safety sake. After all, what was there left to prove? His arm strength, accuracy and timing were impressive even this year but the fact is his legs couldn’t move like they used to . He was a sitting duck in that last game vs the Rams and I think he really felt the pressure like he never has before. If the Rams hadn’t fumbled so many times that game gets really ugly . At his age it’s a miracle that he still could play that well…. But he’s the GOAT 🐐. People sit there blaming his family but how much more did they expect from Tom Brady? After all , his family is watching as guys 10 to 20 years younger are literally trying to rip a limb off. And there were a few times in that last game that it almost happened. The fact is football is a small window and he had the biggest window of them all. Time is always against you but in this game it’s even more so. Reality: it’s a young man’s sport . This was his time. No one on a football field can claim they’ve done more than Tom Brady. He even walked away while he was still a top QB in this league . The key being he walked…… under his own power, with his head held high. Good for him!

He was able to play this long due to NFL rules.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: