Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
lansdale

NBA Hot Stove

Spurs have traded Splitter to Hawks for as yet, unspecified player(s)? - deal seems to be still in progress. Have to agree with speculation that they wouldn't have pulled the trigger unless they thought LMA was in the bag - he seems to have blown off L.A.. Also Danny Green re-signed for $45 million/4 yr.. If Splitter's calf injury no longer a question-mark, looks like a good deal for Hawks, even with Millsap to Orlando but, who knows? Spurs don't make bad deals. If, indeed, LMA to Spurs will be a hella late-round West playoffs.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Seems to be an exciting Free-Agent period. Some really good ones are true free agents. A few stand to re-shape teams/conferences, and a few stand to be really overpaid .
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Seems likely LMA to Spurs. They're going to be a tough team to beat once again.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
lansdale

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Seems to be an exciting Free-Agent period. Some really good ones are true free agents. A few stand to re-shape teams/conferences, and a few stand to be really overpaid .
Seems like about 100 FA out there not, and while most probably stay with their teams, some interesting movement/shifting already. BTW, how overpaid? Does Johnny Depp deserve $25 million for two months work, but LBJ not deserve $17 for 6 mos.? ;-).
Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Seems likely LMA to Spurs. They're going to be a tough team to beat once again.
Since Blazers say he's definitely not coming back, does look like a done deal. With Stephenson and now Pierce to Clips, (and unless DJ switches L.A. teams) both teams will be stronger next year.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Greg Monroe just signed a 3 year, $50 Million max-contract w/ the Bucks.

These are the type of signings that seem to make zero sense.

Here's a guy who is a Big Man in a league dominated by guards and scoring forwards.
He averaged 16pts 10rebounds on a Detroit team that went 32-50 in the east.

How in the world is this guy a "max" contract guy?

He's a fringe all-star at best.

it's nice that he's a solid Big Man, but a solid Big Man is supposed to be your 4th or 5th best player on a championship contender.
How in the world can you give a solid Big Man a "max" contract and hope to build any kind of team?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Greg Monroe just signed a 3 year, $50 Million max-contract w/ the Bucks.

These are the type of signings that seem to make zero sense.

Here's a guy who is a Big Man in a league dominated by guards and scoring forwards.
He averaged 16pts 10rebounds on a Detroit team that went 32-50 in the east.

How in the world is this guy a "max" contract guy?

He's a fringe all-star at best.

it's nice that he's a solid Big Man, but a solid Big Man is supposed to be your 4th or 5th best player on a championship contender.
How in the world can you give a solid Big Man a "max" contract and hope to build any kind of team?
"Max" contracts are what make these things look silly. Lebron is probably worth 200 million a year to a team, while Monroe probably is worth the max he got. But it is all skewed by the "max" number.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
"Max" contracts are what make these things look silly. Lebron is probably worth 200 million a year to a team, while Monroe probably is worth the max he got. But it is all skewed by the "max" number.
That's probably true. Less than a 'handful' of guys (LeBron, healthyDurant, ...) are worth far more than the "max" and the contrast between them and the 'mere all-stars' makes it look worse than it is.

The thing that gets teams from that point, is when you start maxing-out on the fringe all-stars and then the salary cap limits you from building the rest of a contending team.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-02-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That's probably true. Less than a 'handful' of guys (LeBron, healthyDurant, ...) are worth far more than the "max" and the contrast between them and the 'mere all-stars' makes it look worse than it is.

The thing that gets teams from that point, is when you start maxing-out on the fringe all-stars and then the salary cap limits you from building the rest of a contending team.
All the contracts this year are taking into account a big rise in the cap next year.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Jordan to the Mavs...

I've already made my case here, against interior bigs.

However, a strong season by Dirk and we could see Jordan finding more room to make impact than even with Chris Paul. Dirk Nowitzki's health/production will be key IMO.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Jordan to the Mavs...

However, a strong season by Dirk and we could see Jordan finding more room to make impact than even with Chris Paul. Dirk Nowitzki's health/production will be key IMO.
This guy got soft and quit on the clippers, he sulked when he was taken out of the game because of the Hack a stuff. Clippers should have known this guys demeanor and desire and got rid of him when they could have gotten something for him. Cips FT percentage just went up. When you collapse like that in the playoffs you need some changes, they need a little more than Stephenson at this point.

Is LMA still available?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
This guy got soft and quit on the clippers, he sulked when he was taken out of the game because of the Hack a stuff. Clippers should have known this guys demeanor and desire and got rid of him when they could have gotten something for him. Cips FT percentage just went up. When you collapse like that in the playoffs you need some changes, they need a little more than Stephenson at this point.

Is LMA still available?
Nope, Spurs.

I get all the soft spots about Jordan, but it is still a big loss for the Clippers. Prevailing wisdom had been they could get Tyson Chandler, but they waited too long. Now what?

I sense a first round exit coming up unless they pull a rabbit out of the free agency hat.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Jordan to the Mavs...

Of course Dallas will be better, but they aren't going anywhere.

It will come down to Spurs, Warriors, Thunder (if KD is healthy) in the West as it looks right now. I still think the Spurs are declining. They are weak at the point with Parker unless he has a major health revival.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

West has several teams that could be champion caliber if they happen to fire on all cylinders. (no real surprise there)

Clips look amazing when they are on a role, but there are a ton of questions regarding their 'substance'.

Perhaps parting with Jordan will see them finally embracing 'small ball' full time? Could have interesting implications. Still an outsider.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Of course Dallas will be better, but they aren't going anywhere.

It will come down to Spurs, Warriors, Thunder (if KD is healthy) in the West as it looks right now. I still think the Spurs are declining. They are weak at the point with Parker unless he has a major health revival.

I agree, especially concerning the Spurs. Aldridge is a great pickup, but he mostly a pick-n-pop guy...not so much PNR. With him and Duncan on the floor at the same time, I see this being an issue. I just don't think the Baynes kid can be as effective as Splitter was. Parker is a little rickety at the point, but who knows? I'll never underestimate Pop.

As for the Thunder, they better be able to keep the ball in front of them. None of the guys they've picked up play above-par defense, especially Kanter.

I still like a healthy Golden State, but hoping that OKC finds their mojo with Donavan.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply