Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

More rare than the Triple Crown.....

It was very disappointing that CHELOKEE didn't get into this year's Derby.

He definitely would have been a strong contender, and I think he will establish his abilities in the second two jewels of the Triple Crown.

This is what my research has revealed.

There have been approximately 2,900 different horses (give or take 5 or 6) run in the three legs of the Triple Crown Series since 1867. (140 years)

In that time, 108 horses have skipped the Kentucky Derby for various reasons and then gone on to run in the Preakness Stakes and then the Belmont Stakes. 7 of those horses won those final two legs of the Triple Crown after foregoing the initial jewel. From 1877 - 1895, there were 5 horses that accomplished this feat, CLOVERBROOK (1877), DUKE OF MAGENTA (1878), GRENADA (1880), SAUNTERER (1881) as the Kentucky Derby was just getting off the ground, and BEL MAR (1895).

In 1920, the great MAN O' WAR, who may be considered the greatest horse not to win the Triple Crown, accomplished the deed for the first time in 39 years, and two years later PILLORY (1922) duplicated the feat. No horse has skipped the Kentucky Derby and gone on to win both the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes since. (84 years) Eighty Four!

As CHELOKEE will not be able to accomplish my prediction as the next Triple Crown winner, I will now state that he may well accomplish a task even more rare. I really like his chances in the Preakness, and think he will need some good fortune in the Belmont.

CHEROKEE RUN doesn't exactly scream a mile and half, but his son is a pretty gutty guy, and may give Michael Matz the final two jewels of the Triple Crown he may have deserved last year for the Crown.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
depalma13

He's not going to the Preakness. Unless there is a last minute change, he will run in the Barbaro.
depalma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

If he runs at all. Foot problems. I think he may have promise, but I don't think he's there yet either, though the Barbaro should be a pushover for him given how much 3rd rate talent is running in the Preakness.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Once again......

....I fall victim to misinformation.

Thanks gents.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Edward DeVere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
....I fall victim to misinformation.
Hajck
In which direction? The decision hasn't been made yet.
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma13
He's not going to the Preakness. Unless there is a last minute change, he will run in the Barbaro.
Pretty bold call on your part, since Matz said he will decide Sunday morning where he will run after his work out at Fair Hill.

You may be right, but........

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
depalma13

Well Matz has now changed his mind as last week he said the Barbaro was his most likely start.

Last edited by depalma13; 05-13-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
depalma13

And now he's once again going to the Barbaro, just as Matz said last week. Unless there is a last minute change.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Chelokee is just another runner in an average bunch of underachieving 3yo's. He has some ability, and if his spots are picked right he'll win some stakes, but he hasn't shown any reason to think he'll elevate to the top tiers of the racing world. Will every good runner Matz has gain celebrity status post-Barbaro? Maybe, but not justly.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
tonto1944
Tonto1944

I think the horse to fear is Xchanger. He ran on the track and loved the turns and won by a ton. And besides Shuman will juice this horse to the hilt. He is the juice man. Unless they have a surprise testing befor the race. And besides he can make a ton on this horse at the betting window. What has he got to lose. The horse probably can't win without the juice.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Chelokee is just another runner in an average bunch of underachieving 3yo's. He has some ability, and if his spots are picked right he'll win some stakes, but he hasn't shown any reason to think he'll elevate to the top tiers of the racing world. Will every good runner Matz has gain celebrity status post-Barbaro? Maybe, but not justly.
This is what makes horseracing the great sport that it is. Its not only the spirit of the game, but everyone's opinion actually matters!

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck Hillstrom
Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
tonto1944
Tonto1944

There is a 99% chance Chelokee will be scratched