Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
GreenPlant

Horse Racing Vaccation. Where to go?

I am thinking of taking a vacation and I want to go to Aquduct Fairgrounds or possibly Oaklawn..any and all suggestions are appreciated. I just need to get out of L.A. for a while. Thank you.
GreenPlant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
burnsy
self medicated

If you are going soon. Oaklawn Park.

This advice will cost you a two finger bag of mature Green Plant!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
chadk66

Oaklawn is very nice. Very low key area to visit and some beautiful things to see. Fairgrounds itself isn't really anything to see per se but man there are some cool things in the New Orleans area to do and see. Great food and lots of fun.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Go to Keeneland and visit some farms around Lexington.
Best trip ever
Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlant
I am thinking of taking a vacation and I want to go to Aquduct Fairgrounds or possibly Oaklawn..any and all suggestions are appreciated. I just need to get out of L.A. for a while. Thank you.
If you're thinking Big A, wait and go for the Wood Memorial. It is a great day of racing!! Right now, though, NYC is way, way too cold. Coming from L.A. you may freeze to death even with the enclosed areas at Big A. The dining room is great on Wood day.

Oaklawn is lovely, though, it too, may be chilly. The good thing, here, is that the grandstand is enclosed as well. Also, the horses are saddled underneath the grandstand. Hot Springs is a small town with much charm. And the Southerners? Of course, we're always friendly, love having you, and hope that you enjoy your time with us.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
tanner12oz

Quote:
if you want to stay east keeneland or Saratoga end if story..everything else is minor leagues imo
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
infrontby1

Do yourself a favor Green, and make it a point to venture out to Santa Anita for a weekend. Any weekend will do.

You will never forget the scenery of the mountains behind the backstretch. The staff is friendly, and the patrons there are actually somewhat normal. You can even smell the fresh greens in the infield.

I can't comment on the other two tracks, but I can think of the New York track like this: if you have never been to a racetrack and chosen Aqueduct as your first track to visit, you will never want to return to the races again, period.

And this is coming from a New Yorker.
infrontby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #8
kingfin66
Bombardier

I have never been to either Keeneland or Saratoga and would go to either of them in a heartbeat.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
thespaah

Quote:
At first glance I thought you'd typed "vaccination".....I had no idea how to reply to that....
Anyway, when are you taking this trip?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I have never been to either Keeneland or Saratoga and would go to either of them in a heartbeat.
Both are primo destinations.
Do your homework. Each can be expensive areas to visit.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
sharkie187

Del Mar on opening day! You just can't beat it
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #12
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Both are primo destinations.
Do your homework. Each can be expensive areas to visit.
He's right. Nothing is as good as Keeneland and the spring is much better than the fall because the racing is better and the mares are foaling at the farms and Kentucky generally has better weather in April versus October.

However because the meet is so short hotels are super expensive and even worse if UK has anything going on.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #13
cato
Irrationally exuberant

You're kidding about AQU, right? I was in NYC for business when Belmont was running a couple of months ago and I went. It was completely deserted and entire sections of the grandstand were shut down - in fact almost all sections of the grandstand were shut down. The racing was great and the paddock is cool but it's not like you would want to make a point to go there (unless for a huge race). But do yourself a favor and if you want to see NY racing go to Saratoga.

If you need a break - do it at a fun place and that is a destination and has a meet with some excitement and attendance - Oaklawn, Saratoga, Keeneland, Del Mar, Santa Anita (more or less but its still great).

While CD and GP may not qualify on the above criteria (except CD during derby Season), CD is so cool and has such history that its worth going to and GP is a nice modern track with all the amenities and in a giant town with all sorts of stuff to do.

Oaklawn is way cool and Hot Springs is fun. It's kind of like Saratoga in that the entire town is focused on the horse racing season.

We went to Saratoga a couple of year ago and it was incredible. I think it was the best time I have had going to a track and hanging out.

But that's a big no on the BIG A!

Happy travels!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #14
Ocala Mike

Already set up mine - 8/8 to 8/15 at Saratoga, the Mecca for true believers.

If you're going soon, however, Oaklawn. I honeymooned there 50 years ago this coming month.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
I thought you had to "get away", that's why I said Oaklawn. These people are talking about meets that are months away. If you are "itching" to go ......Oaklawn. If you live on the west coast and are "Planning" ......Toga, Toga, Toga...............you sound like you want to get out of "Dodge" though.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply