Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-05-2023, 05:57 PM   #1
dilanesp

Crist and Beyer lay into NYRA and Stronach for having financial interests in CAW's

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2023, 06:01 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It is actually hard to believe it is even legal. Good for these guys.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
Frost king

I always wondered if that was the case.
Frost king is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2023, 07:45 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It is actually hard to believe it is even legal. Good for these guys.
at least its out on the table for all to see and people can make their own choices if its a good bet to wager into the situations.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 03:25 AM   #5
Poindexter

Oh wow. Great stuff. Nyra and Stronach partnering with Caw teams. That means

1) The recreational bettor is perpetually fucked.

2) The caw teams they are partnering with are likely getting rebates of almost the entire takeout if not the entire takeout.

3) They will continue to fund purses through charity and use their partnerships with caw, present and future to help fund the loss of business as people exit the building in droves.

Meanwhile Andy Beyer's big beef is the Rainbow Six (yawn), just don't bet it.

Jay Privman is looking for bullshit.

Steve Crist is looking more of the Nyra crumbs (win pools and pick 5 pools sans caw).

Enlightening stuff.

If there was an industry ever deserved to die, this is it.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 06:44 AM   #6
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 07:17 AM   #7
Ruffian1

When I first read it, it seemed hard to believe.

But then I think about it a minute and I say to myself, of course they do.

It’s sad.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 07:45 AM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Oh wow. Great stuff. Nyra and Stronach partnering with Caw teams. That means

1) The recreational bettor is perpetually fucked.

2) The caw teams they are partnering with are likely getting rebates of almost the entire takeout if not the entire takeout.

3) They will continue to fund purses through charity and use their partnerships with caw, present and future to help fund the loss of business as people exit the building in droves.

Meanwhile Andy Beyer's big beef is the Rainbow Six (yawn), just don't bet it.

Jay Privman is looking for bullshit.

Steve Crist is looking more of the Nyra crumbs (win pools and pick 5 pools sans caw).

Enlightening stuff.

If there was an industry ever deserved to die, this is it.
This is really bad and inaccurate. It’s also nonsensical. I get that it’s a bad look, but suggesting they get almost the entire takeout back is sheer lunacy. Decisions can’t be made just because too many people are caught up in irrational conspiracy theories.

Rational discussion can only be had if the arguments on both sides are sane and rational. Suggesting an entity can somehow make money when any profit margin is ceded is not rational…nor is it well thought out.

Before I get inaccurately accused of anything here, I’m not offering a defense of this relationship, or even an opinion either way, as that would be obviously inappropriate, I’m just trying to head off craziness in an attempt to somehow “discuss” this.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #9
classhandicapper

Of all the things horseplayers complain about, this one has some merit. It's a bad look even if nothing unsavory is going on. At a minimum it makes it less likely that changes will be made to the take and rebate structure that puts non CAW players on a more level playing field with CAW players.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:42 AM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

NYRA has always been for the player, and they showed that again by reducing the non-carryover pick-6 down to 15%.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
ScottJ

The enabling element for rational and reasoned conversation is transparency. When transparency is not provided, conspiracy theories thrive.

Providing concise and complete details on the Elite Turf Club and the associated business relationships will be the only way to clear the air regarding CAW impact in the short and long term.

From the transcripts provided covering Steve Crist and Andy Beyer, the most damning words were simple : unethical and scandal.

Steven Crist: [...] One other thought on CAW. It may not be illegal, but I think it's certainly unethical for racetracks to have ownership stakes in these syndicates. I mean, they now have a financial incentive to just screw all their regular customers to make the CAW things more profitable because they're sharing those profits. I really think that Stronach and NYRA should divest themselves of their ownership stakes.

Andy Beyer: I couldn't agree more. I think it's a real scandal for racetracks to be so blatantly working against the interests of their bedrock customers. I am shocked. But I'm not shocked that anything that the Stronach Group does. I'm shocked that NYRA would be a part of something like that.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 AM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
The enabling element for rational and reasoned conversation is transparency. When transparency is not provided, conspiracy theories thrive.
No truer words were ever spoken.

When people are not being given complete information or the official story doesn't make sense or they catch the authorities feeding them spin, half truths and lies, they speculate on what the truth might be. Some of that speculation can get nutty, but some of it is probably closer to the bullseye. If the authorities want to avoid that kind of speculation, just provide the full truth (which of course they typically won't because they are typically hiding things).

Last edited by classhandicapper; 12-06-2023 at 09:04 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #13
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
NYRA has always been for the player, and they showed that again by reducing the non-carryover pick-6 down to 15%.
Do you work for NYRA? That's a nice way to spin it.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
Do you work for NYRA? That's a nice way to spin it.
It's actually 100% accurate despite what your Twitter masters tell you.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #15
Sheffwed

NYRA = Keystone Kops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Providing concise and complete details on the Elite Turf Club and the associated business relationships will be the only way to clear the air regarding CAW impact in the short and long term.

From the transcripts provided covering Steve Crist and Andy Beyer, the most damning words were simple : unethical and scandal.

Steven Crist: [...] One other thought on CAW. It may not be illegal, but I think it's certainly unethical for racetracks to have ownership stakes in these syndicates. I mean, they now have a financial incentive to just screw all their regular customers to make the CAW things more profitable because they're sharing those profits. I really think that Stronach and NYRA should divest themselves of their ownership stakes.

Andy Beyer: I couldn't agree more. I think it's a real scandal for racetracks to be so blatantly working against the interests of their bedrock customers. I am shocked. But I'm not shocked that anything that the Stronach Group does. I'm shocked that NYRA would be a part of something like that.
NYRA really are the Keystone Kops of racing

Try they might in their own way, but all they do in the end is destroy

I can't believe they are about to tear down the Belmont grandstand and they have already totally destroyed the Belmont infield and turf tracks

This project could have done for so much less money for an audience that only wants to come one day a year, and otherwise use the paddock area (also destroyed)

And now they are exposed as also investing in the destruction of the entire sport

Nice
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply