Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #16
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Make sure you let them know when the next breakdown is going to happen.

I don't need to know when to realize that is terrible PR for the sport. Soon the only people that will care about the sport of kings are people involved in the industry. Its already heading toward that direction when you realize how many big name horse racing tracks are closing down without much protest.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 08-26-2023 at 06:57 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 07:01 PM   #17
azeri98

They soup up the tracks on big racing days, Who knows why? On the two biggest days of the meet they lose two good racehorses who had potetial to be great ones
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 07:13 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
They soup up the tracks on big racing days, Who knows why? On the two biggest days of the meet they lose two good racehorses who had potetial to be great ones
iTt eained and then they sealed it.
What kind of soup survives that.

If they souped a track. I'm sure eyer and CJ wouls
see it and be talking about it.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:13 PM   #19
The_Turf_Monster

This sport in so many ways is its own worst enemy in the US
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #20
PalaceOfFortLarned

Fun horse.

I feel for the connections. Did everything right.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 08:20 PM   #21
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
I don't need to know when to realize that is terrible PR for the sport. Soon the only people that will care about the sport of kings are people involved in the industry. Its already heading toward that direction when you realize how many big name horse racing tracks are closing down without much protest.
Had a trip to Saratoga scheduled for this coming Thursday w/wife. Cancelled hotel this evening I won't be attending. 2021 I was there for 22 cards, 5 last year. Zero this year.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #22
BELMONT 6-6-09

NYRA has always had a track record of horse safety as a priority. Lets wait to see what the meeting provides.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 09:00 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I started getting into this game in 1986-1987.

Horses were breaking down back then.

Horses were breaking down in the 90s

Horses continued to break down after that, as they do today.

Game still here.

Horses will continue to break down both out in the field on a farm...and on the racetrack. Wherever horses run hard, there's always the chance that one of them is going to break down.

You're NEVER going to stop it...stop acting like this is something new.

The fact is, breakdowns have DECREASED substantially, according to the statistics, over the past 15 years.

Instead of celebrating that accomplishment, we have people on here acting like horses never broke down before.

it's surreal, actually

it's like this place has been invaded by a bunch of PETA folk who have no clue.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:01 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
so your solution is to not televise?
Old 08-26-2023, 09:02 PM   #25
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
This sport in so many ways is its own worst enemy in the US
Yes, it is.

Not to detour from the original topic, but I learned today that NOBLE INDY, winner of the 2018 Louisiana Derby and Repole's Kentuck Derby horse that year, with around $900k in career earnings, has been running in Puerto Rico since last summer. His last race was Feb. 10, and there's been radio silence since then.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:06 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Yes, it is.

Not to detour from the original topic, but I learned today that NOBLE INDY, winner of the 2018 Louisiana Derby and Repole's Kentuck Derby horse that year, with around $900k in career earnings, has been running in Puerto Rico since last summer. His last race was Feb. 10, and there's been radio silence since then.
Do you think Noble Indy sits in his stall at night smoking cigs and reminiscing on his former glory days?
Old 08-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #27
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Yes, it is.

But most of the horsemen love their horses…and treat them with tender care. 🙄
Old 08-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #28
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Game still here.

Horses will continue to break down both out in the field on a farm...and on the racetrack. Wherever horses run hard, there's always the chance that one of them is going to break down.

The fact is, breakdowns have DECREASED substantially, according to the statistics, over the past 15 years.

Instead of celebrating that accomplishment, we have people on here acting like horses never broke down before.

it's surreal, actually

So what. I started watching the sport around the same time. I've watched tracks close, the handle and attendance drop over time. The sport is dying out west, the sport may be popular around the areas surrounding Kentucky and NY areas, but its a far cry from the heydays. Its about recognizing the sport has a problem and doing something about it rather than paying lip service. But I guess some folks are fine with whats going on and burying their head in the sand. Look young folks aren't getting into the game except maybe for the big days like the Kentucky Derby. When people of the older generation who grew up with the sport pass on and those younger generation don't care the sport is dying on a vine. You can't rely on friends and family to keep the game going.
You mention that horses broke down in the olden days and the game continued on. Well guess what these days everyone has a cell phone camera. People at the track who aren't dyed in the wool horse racing fans who might be visiting there as a casual fan take that footage and send it out over the internet for everyone to see. It spreads via social media and what not. Not to mention it simply gets broadcasted over the regular air over the air TV. You can't really hide it anymore like in the past. Burying a breakdown like a horse being vanned off in the daily reports doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 08-26-2023 at 09:18 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 09:13 PM   #29
alhattab

Quote:

Game still here.

it's surreal, actually

All true PA. My concern is that the level of scrutiny is different today and that has increased the profile of these incidents to the non-horseplaying public. It's awful to see what happened today and what happened to Maple Leaf Mel, but many of us understand it happens. In the past, fewer would see it. Today many who would not have otherwise seen it see it, and like many things today people take issue even though they may be eating a burger while doing so.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 09:16 PM   #30
Mulerider

Quote:
Do you think Noble Indy sits in his stall at night smoking cigs and reminiscing on his former glory days?
Do you think his former connections who made a ton of money off him give a shit what his condition is now?