Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-20-2023, 02:44 AM   #121
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I just spent four days at Saratoga Racecourse and had a fantatsic time while
having worst betting time of my life. What a magnificent place to attend the races and forget about everything in the world. We laughed a lot, met characters you see only once a year. Ate well, I recommend Pennell's veal. Mama Mia's was good too as was Augie's a few miles south of the track.
If you want to be in racing heaven for a while, Saratoga Springs is the best place in the USA...the entire city lives and breathes racing during the meet...and it's summertime....where else can you get that?
Old 08-20-2023, 08:53 AM   #122
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I just spent four days at Saratoga Racecourse and had a fantatsic time while
having worst betting time of my life. What a magnificent place to attend the races and forget about everything in the world. We laughed a lot, met characters you see only once a year. Ate well, I recommend Pennell's veal. Mama Mia's was good too as was Augie's a few miles south of the track.
Good to hear Publius. You did it right- complete immersion! I don't even watch TV other than when I'm at a bar and there's a game on. At the track in the a.m. for tables/training, studying, long wonderful days at the track, out for a bit using Trotters as base camp, rinse and repeat. Agree on Mama Mia's been getting food there for years when we rented a house at the Adirondack Inn. Hadn't been to Pennell's until a few years ago when a friend in the biz took me there that is a fun spot that also has good steaks and is known I believe for its Lasagna (never tried it)

Haven't been yet this season after making 20+ cards 2 years ago when I lucked into an August sublet at the north end of East Ave and 4 glorious days last year over Fourstardave weekend. Looks like only 1 card this year on 8/31.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 09:50 AM   #123
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
The carded mile chute races are poor. Most are fields below 8 horses which makes it unappealing from a betting standpoint for me.

Make the lead and win or play pinball at the gate. Those are the two outcomes in these races. Very difficult to handicap too and for some reason the 7f dirt races have been sacrificed at its expense.

You have the ability to run dirt races at so many more distances on the dirt than the turf which is essentially limited to 5.5f, 8f, and 8.5 with the occasional marathon race. So let’s card 6 turf races and then be at the mercy of the weather.
I'm failing to understand why someone would spend so much time analyzing and critiquing a track they supposedly don't even wager upon.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 10:08 AM   #124
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Give it a rest. It's tired whining.
Eight races the last two days from the 1 mile chute, some scheduled some because of the weather. The more entrants in these races (or those that stay in for off the turf) the more of a disadvantage for inside posts because of how quick the REAL rail comes up on the main track. Not to mention how cheap it looks for such a renowned thoroughbred facility, looks like they spent $10 for some PVC pipe to keep the horses "straight" out of the gate.

.....at the very least go back to making the 2 y.o. routes that come off the turf 7 furlongs again

Last edited by metro; 08-20-2023 at 10:20 AM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #125
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
The carded mile chute races are poor. Most are fields below 8 horses which makes it unappealing from a betting standpoint for me.

Make the lead and win or play pinball at the gate. Those are the two outcomes in these races. Very difficult to handicap too and for some reason the 7f dirt races have been sacrificed at its expense.

You have the ability to run dirt races at so many more distances on the dirt than the turf which is essentially limited to 5.5f, 8f, and 8.5 with the occasional marathon race. So let’s card 6 turf races and then be at the mercy of the weather.
Nah nah...You stated "the meeting has been poor"....Don't try to deflect/walk back that comment now.
At least stand by your statement and support it as written.
The best guess I have regarding the creation of the Wilson Chute is to be able to conduct of the turf races as near the original carded distance. Also, the one mile dirt races are for horses that aren't sprinters and aren't well suited for distances beyond 1 1/16th miles.
I do think that perhaps NYRA could look into making modifications to create a better path to the first turn at the 6f pole.
However, don't make blanket claims that the meeting is poor just because YOU aren't satisfied.
Again, everyone is doing yeoman's work to adjust to the occasional adverse conditions.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #126
paulbenny

There are several factors to rate a meet:

If at the track the customer experience:

Food
Facilities (Bathrooms, cleanliness, etc)
Betting Access
Costs of Admission, Food, etc
How tellers, vendors etc treat you when you have questions
Etc
Etc

Whether on track or not it is the stuff focused upon here, the field size, off or on turf etc etc

I have been to nearly 30 tracks in my life across the country and I would rank Saratoga as OK on the customer experience

I would say that the ability to predict the weather is zero, and I understand the criticism, but having a lawn in the area, well, my mower was sinking into the mud, so lets be realistic here

I rank Laurel in the 1980s when Frank DeFrancis was trying to capture the crowds as an incredible customer experience and that was when true horsemen existed in Maryland.

Saratoga is simply too expensive. Admission 10 bucks, systematic decline in tellers forcing the self serve, no white caps, cost cutting and price increases. A regular attendee can beat the admission via a season pass which is great. The cost structure is being managed down, which is great for the P&L, but given the subsidies from the government, it is still in the aggregate a marginal business including all three tracks. Saratoga is great relative to the P&L.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 06:19 PM   #127
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post

Food
Betting Access
Etc
Etc

Whether on track or not it is the stuff focused upon here, the field size, off or on turf etc etc

I have been to nearly 30 tracks in my life across the country and I would rank Saratoga as OK on the customer experience

I would say that the ability to predict the weather is zero, and I understand the criticism, but having a lawn in the area, well, my mower was sinking into the mud, so lets be realistic here

I rank Laurel in the 1980s when Frank DeFrancis was trying to capture the crowds as an incredible customer experience and that was when true horsemen existed in Maryland.

Saratoga is simply too expensive. Admission 10 bucks, systematic decline in tellers forcing the self serve, no white caps, cost cutting and price increases. A regular attendee can beat the admission via a season pass which is great. The cost structure is being managed down, which is great for the P&L, but given the subsidies from the government, it is still in the aggregate a marginal business including all three tracks. Saratoga is great relative to the P&L.
No white caps? Don't tell any of the many we employ daily. $10 is too expensive? Have you left your house to go to any kind of entertainment venue in the last, say, ten years? We don't get a dime in subsidies. Never did.

Other than that, great stuff...I think.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #128
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post

Food
Betting Access
Etc
Etc

The teller experience....I have little interaction with the tellers other than when I purchase a voucher and at the end of the day when I cash out. Other than that, I use the computerized equipment to make my wagers.
$10 is NOT a lot of money. What other sporting event can one enter for $10 which lasts ALL DAY?....And if one purchases admission 24 hours in advance, their cost is lowered by 30%.
Yes, the refreshments are pricey. However, anyone can bring their own food/snacks into the facility . Except inside the grandstand. Big deal.
I don't require the assistance from White Hats. If I have purchased seats, I already know where they are located.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #129
Bustin Stones

Tracks should not be charging for parking, admission or programs. They should be grateful that fans are willing to spend 30 minutes waiting for the next 2 minutes of action. If they didn't allow gambling on the races very few would show up to admire the activity. Few people I know would go to a racetrack even with the prospect of gambling. They'd sooner play the slots.
Whatever Saratoga offers includes 2 minutes of racing followed by 30 minutes of dead space. Add that to the "racetrack experience".
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 01:30 AM   #130
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Tracks should not be charging for parking, admission or programs. They should be grateful that fans are willing to spend 30 minutes waiting for the next 2 minutes of action. If they didn't allow gambling on the races very few would show up to admire the activity. Few people I know would go to a racetrack even with the prospect of gambling. They'd sooner play the slots.
Whatever Saratoga offers includes 2 minutes of racing followed by 30 minutes of dead space. Add that to the "racetrack experience".
Tlg, after reading the quoted post, I sincerely apologize for ever giving you a hard time for your one liners. If this is what you have to deal with, blast away and enjoy it!
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 08:23 AM   #131
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Tlg, after reading the quoted post, I sincerely apologize for ever giving you a hard time for your one liners. If this is what you have to deal with, blast away and enjoy it!
I'm actually laughing at this. It is amazing, right?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 10:43 AM   #132
1st time lasix

The experience at Saratoga is both enjoyable and memorable Not only do I play the meet…..I have attended for a full week every summer for many years now. I truly look forward to it each season. It is somewhat rare thing that my spouse and I actually share together. . 🎩 Backside/ breakfast watching workouts/the grandstand/ rail/ club/ box/picnic area/ paddock and the 1863 club. Each one unique and fun. Numerous concession choices. I handicap before I arrive and therefore have no issues at all getting my bets in. They strive to keep it clean …..and most employees are very helpful. One can nitpick things- like a steward decision, vet scratches, high takeout rates on several exotics, beer prices, local room rates, etc etc……but only Mother Nature controls the racing conditions of course. It’s an American icon. Like Wrigley, Fenway or Augusta National. The town itself is great. Bars, restaurants, gift shops, architecture, history …and plenty of great sights. Fifteen years ago I considered purchasing a modest summer home that was adjacent to the Oklahoma trading track. Wish I had. Biggest financial mistake of my life was not pulling the trigger on it!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 11:53 AM   #133
alhattab

Quote:
You've obviously never been to the men's room behind the Chowder stand.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 11:55 AM   #134
elhelmete

Quote:
Never seen a post with less logic or relevance. Kudos--that's not an easy feat.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2023, 11:57 AM   #135
elhelmete

I'd love to see a list of things people do for (not free) entertainment for less than $10.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply