Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Shelby

Calvin's Comin' Back

Marty McGee ‏@DRFMcGee 47m47 minutes ago
To little surprise, HOF jockey @CalvinHBorel to resume riding in late August @EllisParkRacing. "Retired" abruptly in March. F.Bernis, agent.

------------------------

I don't know why he retired, but I'm excited to have him back! He's one of my favorites.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
the little guy

There will be worse news today, but this is not a good start.

the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
There will be worse news today, but this is not a good start

I dont know if your joking or being serious?
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme

Both..
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Fager Fan
Veteran

Obviously something was going on with him. He's practically assured of one big mount in one important race one day a year, so if you're him, you don't retire just before the first Saturday in May.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
I'm not going to try and speak for Andy but this is sad for a variety of reasons. These guys simple don't know when to throw it in. Gary Stevens coming back and winning a Classic doesn't help either. But you got guys like Calvin, David Flores and CNak who want to ride but their simply isn't a demand for their services. This isn't like a sports league where you're told you're done. You can always ride somewhere. You just keep working your way down the ladder.

The three guys above won just about every important race outside of the Classic and now they're hanging on riding cheap horses. Combine that with Kieron Fallon a guy who was a champion jockey in Europe for a decade riding at Indiana Downs at a 3% win clip this year. It's sad.

Calvin was a great rider but his body is shot and he's got his demons too. Watching him ride $5K claimers at a third rate track to end his career will be sad.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

He never actually retired. He was so far back that he wasn't on the screen anymore and folks thought he was gone. He'll be coming up the rail any second now.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I'd love to see his ego battling Javier (in more ways than one) this fall at Belmont.

Forget Ellis. Come to Belmont and come up the rail on the ole boys.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I'd love to see his ego battling Javier (in more ways than one) this fall at Belmont.

Forget Ellis. Come to Belmont and come up the rail on the ole boys.
I might be slightly wrong but I literally don't think he's won a race at Belmont in over something like 15 years if ever. I remember specifically his bad riding stats at Belmont are bought up each June.

But hey Mike Luzzi needs someone to keep himself entertained in the jockey's room all day and Calvin is a character.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I might be slightly wrong but I literally don't think he's won a race at Belmont in over something like 15 years if ever. I remember specifically his bad riding stats at Belmont are bought up each June.

But hey Mike Luzzi needs someone to keep himself entertained in the jockey's room all day and Calvin is a character.
I know he won the Mother Goose on Rachel Alexandra there in 2009, but I can't remember any other wins at Belmont
Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:

I was being sarcastic boys....Here's why....

[YT="Borel could shake up the friendliness at NYRA "]3ZHjiPtbivA[/YT]
Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Other factor is: When Calvin rode at Belmont, it wasn't his A track.

If he makes it his A track, he will naturally pick up some mounts. Not as much as others but some mounts.

I'd love to see an outsider riding at NYRA. It could only spruce things up a bit.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not going to try and speak for Andy but this is sad for a variety of reasons. These guys simple don't know when to throw it in. Gary Stevens coming back and winning a Classic doesn't help either. But you got guys like Calvin, David Flores and CNak who want to ride but their simply isn't a demand for their services. This isn't like a sports league where you're told you're done. You can always ride somewhere. You just keep working your way down the ladder.

The three guys above won just about every important race outside of the Classic and now they're hanging on riding cheap horses. Combine that with Kieron Fallon a guy who was a champion jockey in Europe for a decade riding at Indiana Downs at a 3% win clip this year. It's sad.

Calvin was a great rider but his body is shot and he's got his demons too. Watching him ride $5K claimers at a third rate track to end his career will be sad.
Didn't he always stay in KY? So he's returning where he left.

I don't find anything sad about it. They love riding, so they're doing what they love while still bringing home a decent paycheck. What's sad are Ramon and others who ache to ride but can't.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Didn't he always stay in KY? So he's returning where he left.

I don't find anything sad about it. They love riding, so they're doing what they love while still bringing home a decent paycheck. What's sad are Ramon and others who ache to ride but can't.

Don't remind me
Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Believe he wintered at Oaklawn..maybe a cup of coffee at Fair Grounds?
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply