Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #76
Tall One
Scum Bum!

According to Rusty Ford, spokesman for the Kentucky state veterinarian’s office within the Department of Agriculture, investigators from that office have gathered information that demonstrates the horses on property in Mercer County have been abandoned. A June 27 meeting between department officials, the county attorney, and the sheriff’s department would seek to “determine what culpability there is and who has it,” Ford said the morning of June 27.

Because the case is under investigation, Ford said he could not provide further details, but he noted that since state and local officials took over the case June 2, they have been working with volunteers and other equine organizations to ensure that the horses are being properly maintained until the situation can be resolved. He said photographs posted on social media platforms accurately depict the condition of the approximately 40 horses.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #77
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy33
Actually, I wish the whole lot of them (McIngvale, Wohlers and Borell) would just vanish at this point. The former two don't deserve a horse like Runhappy and the latter shouldn't be around any sort of animals, period.
Mac and Wohler have unconventional ways but have never been accused of animal neglect , nor left animals to starve to death to my knowledge . I don't know of them destroying other people's properties .

RunHappy's groom has been with them for many years and just might be the one who deserves the praise for the horses well being..

At this point I do not want to see any money to go to Maria . Zero
nijinski is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #78
Grits

This may bother some, but I've thought, today, about Rick Dutrow. This man was sent packing, his license pulled for 10 years. Never has he starved a horse, never has he dared treated any animal, to my knowledge, in such a manner.

How does this callous, common lowlife, remain on the rolls as a trainer, a caretaker of anything...so much as a cockroach? Forget thoroughbred racehorses. Why has the Jockey Club, why have racing jurisdictions, tracks, continued to tolerate trash?

I'm like thespaah, I just don't get it. *SMH*
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #79
Hambletonian

There is absolutely no bottom line ethics in horse racing.

Sipp got relicensed even after being accused of killing horses for the insurance money.

dwell on that for a minute. this a$$hat got a license even though he was apparently involved in a scheme to over insure cheap horses, then kill them, to make a profit.

Borell is a piker compared to him.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #80
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian
There is absolutely no bottom line ethics in horse racing.

Sipp got relicensed even after being accused of killing horses for the insurance money.

dwell on that for a minute. this a$$hat got a license even though he was apparently involved in a scheme to over insure cheap horses, then kill them, to make a profit.

Borell is a piker compared to him.
So true.......and he has a huge stable of horses racing at Mountaineer that fill races and virtually never win.WTF. How are they supported and fed? What happens to the majority of them? Tough questions coming from a likely hypocritical horseplayer, ME. I have adopted many greyhounds over the years, but have always been wondered what happens to these horses. I know, that is a rhetorical question. In harness racing you "amished" them when their racing career was over.....Were the amish trucks actually KILL trucks. Nobody asked, everybody knew.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #81
fmolf

where are all the PETA people now!...not enough publicity in this story for them......instead they plant rats in the legitimate barns of legitimate horsepeople...they are not really interested in the horses now are they?
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #82
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Ernie Paragallo did jail time for mistreating horses, the same punishment should apply here.
Hopefully.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #83
Shelby

From Twitter:

Ahmed Zayat ‏@jazz3162 7m7 minutes ago
Just got alerted by Carleigh Fedroka. Z Camelot is loaded and heading to @trfinc thank you everyone for rallying!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #84
castaway01

There's a link on the front page of this site that 6 of the 43 horses are being removed from the farm to get medical attention. At least that's a start.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #85
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I have a question...Is there not background check/financial history check for vetting purposes in this business.
Please....I hope there is no one who is going to state that there is no network among all parties. That people don't talk to each other.
I find it incredible that this poor excuse for a human being was offered numerous opportunities after the first failure.
Who in the hell would offer a lease to such a person after they had found out about the default on the previous lease and destruction of the first property?
How in the hell can a person who has been documented for abuse and cruelty to horses able to maintain a trainer's license? And what kind of an idiot judge would arbitrarily issue a judgment taking away a sick man's property. This entire story stinks like a poorly run sewage treatment plant.
Now, among the number of people who had worked for Borell I must ask, why would anyone not do their due diligence and check out a potential employer before taking a job with them?
And finally, I want to know how it is bad karma has no caught up with this walking filth.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the answer to your first question is no.
One problem is , the Tracks have checks in place for licensed people but farm work requires No such licenses. Anybody can work on a farm . At a farm, unless the employer pays for a background check , there is none. At the track, they do a back ground check but once your in, they don't recheck. That fact was as of 2001. Maybe it's changed somewhere . I don't know.
And no way other than police reports is information exchanged that I ever knew of.
No clue how you lease a farm without asking questions. Hell, just google her name.

When it comes to the race track, the lower court judges I dealt with over the years were totally ignorant to rules of racing and Stewards law and rulings. And I mean, it wasn't even close.
Only after taking it up the legal chain did we ever find a judge competent enough to make a common sense ruling that was reasonable.

Sadly, it's incredible what bad people can get away with in horse racing.
Just a shame that the ones that suffer the most can't speak.
Oh what a story they might tell.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #86
johnhannibalsmith

Good job by all of those who got busy getting busy and finally got this boulder mobile and rolling - very much including Mr. Paulick, who drummed up quite a bit of awareness and outrage over the last few days, once again using his site (and further illustrating how irrelevant other industry "news" sources have become) to be a positive advocate. Karma points abound.
Update: At the Welfare & Safety of the Racehorse Summit on Tuesday, Rusty Ford, equine programs manager for the Kentucky Office of the State Veterinarian, announced that Mercer County officials had termed the horses as officially “abandoned,” which will allow them to be removed from the property. The three horses in the most dire condition are expected to be removed on Tuesday, and the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation will take charge of those that are not picked up by their owners. Logistics for the transport of those animals has not yet been finalized.
http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-c...eased-tuesday/

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #87
AlBundy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Mac and Wohler have unconventional ways but have never been accused of animal neglect , nor left animals to starve to death to my knowledge . I don't know of them destroying other people's properties .

RunHappy's groom has been with them for many years and just might be the one who deserves the praise for the horses well being..

At this point I do not want to see any money to go to Maria . Zero
Agreed, but I'm just not a fan of them because to me they are nothing but a couple of attention seeking whores.

As for Borell, I'm all for innocent until proven guilty and it's obvious that she is guilty as hell. In fact, hell is too good of a place for her after her despicable deeds.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #88
Track Phantom

I haven't read most of the information regarding this (not sure I could stomach it). Could someone please provide the nickel version overview?

Did Maria Borrel intentionally neglect these horses, knowing their fate?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #89
Shelby

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...animal-cruelty

Chuck has been arrested.

Hope Maria is next.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #90
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

How was this guy unaware he shouldn't come back? Do they live in a cave?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply