Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #46
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet
Further evidence the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

They really want to play games about who owes the money, her or her dad? Here's a thought: father and daughter get together and acknowledge that Rood & Riddle needs to be paid, and pay them.

Here's hoping the horses she and her dad apparently possess are being properly cared for.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #47
12/ALL/ALL

I can't help but think that if someone had contacted the local S.P.C.A. during these horrible events there might have been a better outcome for a number of these animals. This neglect is not just immoral, it's illegal. She clearly does not care what her peers think, nor do law suits bother her that much. However, real criminal charges with the threat of actual prison time is something she would have to deal with.
12/ALL/ALL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Anyone curious as to why this piece of journalism ended up on what is essentially an offshore ADW website?

Did none of the major US racing online and print outlets not want to touch this?

I find this most puzzling.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #49
johnhannibalsmith

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th..._maria_borell/

One of one major journalists left in the industry at least reported the story as told by Ransom.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #50
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Anyone curious as to why this piece of journalism ended up on what is essentially an offshore ADW website?

Did none of the major US racing online and print outlets not want to touch this?

I find this most puzzling.
Because there's barely any racing journalists left and the vast majority had already written the OTHER story about her.

There's simply not a lot of people who want to go their boss and say "hey you know that story about the Runhappy girl? Turns out it's all wrong."

And to be fair once she got thrown out of trainer center by Calder it was hinted at why in places like drf and Paulick.

The other reason you kind of have to give journalists a pass is no one would go on the record. The head of training center said he just wanted her out. None of the people at Gulfstream who objected to the health of the horses have said anything. Drawing Away stands by her. And Mac and his people have taken the high road. You can't write a story if you can't find it.

This woman deserves at lot of credit for digging up these sources in Kentucky. My hunch is she worked on this story of months. She should win an Eclipse award.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #51
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
She should win an Eclipse award.
Agreed.

I'll admit, I was in support of Maria after this whole thing broke. I guess I was just a sucker for an underdog story. If all of this is true, she is an epic dirtball. I've never, and I mean NEVER, understood someone who could mistreat an animal. Call me a wuss, soft or any other unmacho thing, don't care....the last thing I would ever do is mistreat any animal. Ever. And, in my opinion, someone that does, should turn in their human card.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #52
Stoleitbreezing

I've noticed this thread for a while and finally got around to reading the entire article. What a disturbing and disgusting account of how she cared for horses in her care and her treatment of her staff. The pathetic lifestyle her and her father live as deadbeats for this long shows they lack respect or compassion for both human and animal. I hope she gets banned and someone files criminal charges against her.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It is not getting any better. This article is not for the squeamish.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...nimal-neglect/
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #54
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It is not getting any better. This article is not for the squeamish.
Honestly, after reading the last article, I'm not even going to click on this one. I trust you when you say it is not for the faint of heart. She's bad news.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #55
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
Honestly, after reading the last article, I'm not even going to click on this one. I trust you when you say it is not for the faint of heart. She's bad news.
Probably a good idea. I'm an animal lover. I've adopted three dogs that were abandoned or abused and have four total. It can be a pain in the ass at times, I won't lie. But I love those dogs and I'll never understand how in the world anyone can mistreat animals. I hope she goes to jail.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #56
johnhannibalsmith

Now here's a topic that EMD4YOUANDME agree on 100%. Splat.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #57
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Probably a good idea. I'm an animal lover. I've adopted three dogs that were abandoned or abused and have four total. It can be a pain in the ass at times, I won't lie. But I love those dogs and I'll never understand how in the world anyone can mistreat animals. I hope she goes to jail.
I'm not sorry I read the article, but CJ is right. It turns your stomach.

She NEEDS to go to jail for a long long time. So does her father.

AND, what the hell is going on with the powers that be???

snipped from the article:
Mary Ann Kelley, another volunteer who has been helping take care of the horses on the Mercer County farm, on Monday morning posted a message on her Facebook page that she has “been hinting about this horrendous abuse thing for a couple of weeks – but was warned by authorities to be silent or I could be held responsible for destruction of evidence?!! I felt intimidated by these officials to the point I was afraid of what they would accuse me of – prosecute me for helping these wonderful horses!”

Last Thursday, Kelley posted photographs on Facebook of several of the horses that were in poor condition and wrote: “I'm on a mission that will probably get me a heck of a lot of trouble. I don't care! These horses (need) medicine – we can't afford a vet; don't know what the you-know-what we're going to do!!!!”

God bless Mary Ann Kelley and she better not be in a stitch of trouble for trying to help these poor horses.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #58
Baron Star Gregg

Thanks for the update CJ. This is awful. I sent a few bucks to help through the gofundme account and shared it on FB. I wish I could do more.
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #59
nijinski

Maggi Moss is trying as well as Zayat and Fox Hills Rick Porter .
Hoping the authorities move on this right away and I understand there was a meeting on this horrible situation.
Kentucky's Governor needs to to something . This state has a long history with the bluegrass and thoroughbreds. The Kentucky Derby is internationally respected via social media , I'm sure the news has spread far and wide .How does so much abuse and neglect get tolerated there.
There needs to immediate action taken .
Z Camelot once belonged to Zayat and he is emancipated yet said he wasn't making any progress in his attempts to help the rescue .Wow tremendously disappointing .

I didn't believe her "Borell" from the beginning . We are all witnessing Evil !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #60
Grits

Nj, I'm posting these quotes from a bit ago, by Maggi. Gentlemen, please, read, as Maggi has moved the unmovable in the past. She ain't playin' this time either.

Quote:
I just called the Mercer County Sheriff's Department, where the none-too-helpful man said they have people looking at the horses daily. When I said I couldn't understand how they could watch emaciated horses near death without acting, he sounded as if he didn't care. (I politely told him I'm not a crazy animal nut, ha, which is pretty much true) He also didn't seem to want to help further, but I told him I was taping the call, and upon pressing for another phone number he told me it's a Department of Agriculture issue now.

Of course, their office closed at 4:30, but I just left a message saying that if they allowed these animals to die in Kentucky, having known for months they were neglected, the entire horse industry in "The Horse Capital of the World" deserved to die along with it so we don't have to witness animal neglect and torture.

Anyone so motivated, please call the Department of Agriculture tomorrow and let them know how you feel about their impotency:

502-573-0282

Words don't describe how obscene it is to allow animals to starve to death...it's taking months. I can't imagine how they feel.

Thanks, in advance, for anyone taking the 2-3 minutes to make that same call.
And her post of about 17 hours ago.

Quote:
RE; BORELL HORSES IN MERCER CO, I did talk to an attorney that was there today on the property and did talk to many other folks in KY, texting the pictures taken today- without being "inappropriate", there is a meeting between the Mercer Co authorities and the department of Agriculture tomorrow to "discuss" what to do-- contacting them will NOT help right now.
Until they decide, there is no ability to rescue these horses--
I have contacted, along with others, the individuals that I feel can help cut thru this redtape nightmare-
One of the problems is finding the real owners who entrusted these horses to Borell. Ky is light years behind the world in their statutes for rescue and horses-
As to Z Camelot, Know that Mr. Zayat is ON IT, and sort of refreshing to know that this triple crown owner is also having trouble cutting thru the same red tape as the rest of us.-----
As to Maria Borell and her father- and all you non believers- ITS CRUCIAL THAT NO ONE EVER ENTRUST HER WITH AN ANIMAL AGAIN- go ahead Maria, sue me-------- I welcome it..
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply