Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #196
Lono

He went from horses arse to a lot of class. Give me a break. He's a First Class Jerk.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #197
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lono
He went from horses arse to a lot of class. Give me a break. He's a First Class Jerk.
To err is human. To forgive is divine.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #198
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lono
I thought the apology was very sincere. Maybe you think otherwise, which is certainly your right. If it wasn't, he's a brilliant actor.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #199
highnote

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote

When I used to go to the Belmont Stakes every year back in the 1990s there was always a 12 furlong race on the undercard.

Coburn's rants are good for the sport. Bad publicity is better than no publicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
No way your serious with this......
Apparantley, I'm not the only one who sees it this way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstone
good, bad or indifferent he brought horse racing a lot of attention these last couple of days...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #200
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
Another genius with a web address...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #201
Lono

Too Surrender when your being crushed, is just saying uncle to stop the abuse. He's a First Class Jerk.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #202
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Great apology on Mr Coburn's part - never thought it would happen. He displayed a lot of class this morning. I think most will forgive him for his previous rants.
I've seen a few different articles concerning comments from him the morning after. I see a continued lack of class in this one--
"It wouldn't be fair if I played basketball with a child in a wheelchair, because I've got the upper advantage," he said. "If your horse was good enough to run in the Belmont, where was he in the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness?"
Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #203
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
I've seen a few different articles concerning comments from him the morning after. I see a continued lack of class in this one--
"It wouldn't be fair if I played basketball with a child in a wheelchair, because I've got the upper advantage," he said. "If your horse was good enough to run in the Belmont, where was he in the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness?"
No, no - please see today's apology. Totally agree with you on the stupid wheelchair comment - that was yesterday.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #204
highnote

I just watched the replay of him apologizing on the GMA show. He was contrite.

I've done similar things when coaching my sons' little league teams. You put so much emotional investment into the team that you say things you later regret because you felt in the moment that the reason you lost is because you were cheated.

This is why participating in sports is very valuable. It teaches you a lot of life lessons.

Anyone who has been deeply involved at a competitive level will understand that it isn't easy to hold back your emotions. Sometimes emotions take over and cause you to do or say things you later regret.

That's life.

That's why when I saw him lash out on TV I wasn't bothered by what he said. I knew that he would calm down in a couple of days and see the error in his ways. I felt bad for him because I knew he was going to regret saying those things. And I felt that the winning owners and trainers would forgive him for his rants, too. They acted like they had been there before and Coburn didn't.

Coburn will have a stiff upper lip next time.

Last edited by highnote; 06-09-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #205
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The only reason he apologized was because he was forced to because of the overwhelmingly negative response he received.

Yes, in the heat of the moment, one can be forgiven easily.

However, he went out the NEXT MORNING and didn't back down ONE BIT.

It was only after he and his "team" witnessed the backlash that he decided to come out this morning and apologize.

He doubled-down yesterday and I am supposed to believe him today? Nah...this is simply damage control. Then again, what was really damaged that needed controlling? So maybe he really is taking it all back....

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #206
Stillriledup
Veteran

I haven't seen the apology, but i think that if you want to make a case he was still on an emotional high/low from the day and the race, its pretty overwhelming for a guy from a really small town to be standing at Belmont in front of 100k people waving his hat like he was in the movies. That had to be an out of body experience for him. Not making excuses because what he said was pretty wrong, but i was thinking that he was so convinced he was going to win (his mistake) that when he lost, he felt like he let down 100k of his "best friends" on track and countless millions at home, he just wasnt able to handle that moment.

They do say that true colors could come out moreso in the heat of the moment and not after you have a while to think about it....i do like that he apologized, hopefully he learned something about himself and can become a better person because of it.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #207
ArlJim78

I'd cut him some slack and move on. His comments were completely uncalled for and unsportsmanlike, and he obviously doesn't really understand what the triple crown is. On the other hand his apology seemed genuine and unequivocal. I can empathize with what he's been going through these past 5 weeks. He's overly emotional and got caught up in this stuff.
My recommendation to DAP racing is get a media spokeperson, or to simply not talk as much.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #208
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
My recommendation to DAP racing is get a media spokeperson, or to simply not talk as much.
In the heat of the moment it is very difficult to say the "right" things. When the owner of Tonalist said to Costas that he had no comment about Coburn calling Tonalist's connections cheaters it was the right thing to say. It's hard to wax eloquent off the cuff when you are filled with emotion and then suddenly thrust into the spotlight.

Saying that you have no comment or that you are grateful is usually a safe bet.

There's an old saying: "Better to remain silent and let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and let people know you're stupid."
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #209
windstone

damage control, fits very well, we should know, heard it a bunch of times from the white house this last year or so...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #210
JustRalph
Just another Facist

How many people did he turn off enough to stop them from breeding to his horse?

That is the question......