Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Monday, August 21

Good morning. I hope you had a good weekend. Are you ready for the solar eclipse (I wonder what impact that will have at The Spa; I assume it'll be about 60% of totality)? Please do not even think about looking at the sun with the naked eye (use special glasses or equipment); you can seriously damage your retina.

Well, in my second passion, baseball, the BoSox extended their lead over "The Pinstripes" to 5 games by taking two out of three from "The Bronx Bombers" (I used to live on E. 164th Street near The Grand Concourse, of course that was during WWII. I saw F.D.R in person in 1944. I was a little kid).

Yes, let's get to the business at hand: Evaluating the speed and endurance of thoroughbred race horses. Here's my first-race evaluation:

Race One:

1 I’m not crazy about first-time starters who start from the #1 starting post. Yet Linda Rice does well with horses entered in maiden-claiming events. The broodmare had two winners from three starters.

2 I find it hard to recommend this grandson of Malibu Moon, although the sire has a 20% win-rate with first-time starters.

3 Doesn’t inspire, although the dam had two winners from two starters. May be better suited for the turf?

The Berber ran second in this company a few weeks ago. He has to be considered a contender. Kendrick Carmouche in the irons is a plus for trainer Gary Contessa.

Mr. Discretionary did nothing in his only start, an MSW. He now drops in "for a tag". I’ll give him “a mulligan”. Watch the board for any signs. Trainer Ken McPeek does well both MSW-to-MC and 2nd career race categories.

6 He would be a surprise; yet trainer Chad Summers does well with maiden claimers, albeit with a limited sampling.

7 I wouldn't be totally shocked if this colt hit the tote, yet he may be better suited for the lawn. Dam had two winners from two starters.

Michael Wonderful’s broodmare, It’s Heidi’s Dance, had 4 winners and one stakes winner from 5 starters. This colt’s sire, Liaison, has a 27% wins record with first-time starters. Impressive. Irad for Rudy.

High Risk Strategy is backed by the dynamic duo of Javier Castellano and Chad Brown. Nuff Ced. Yet, Brown's record with debut maiden claimers is mediocre. However, the dam had two winners from two starters.

I'll be back later with my other picks on today's Spa card.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two: , , ,

Race Three: , , ,

Race Four: , , ,

Race Five: , , ,

Race Six: , , ,

Race Seven: , , ,

Race Eight: , , ,

Race Nine: , , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Teach

Race One: As I glim the horses in the post parade, two horses catch my eye: HIGH RISK STRATEGY and the INFINITY SQUARED. Luis Saez is now aboard #7.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Teach

Race Two: The favorite, GRAND BANKS, is making a very nice impression on the racetrack.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Teach

Race Four: The three horses that I thought looked best on the racetrack and are also receiving attention at the mutuel windows and ADWs are: , and .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: