Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Will Monmouth Park still be racing in 2025?
Poll Options
Will Monmouth Park still be racing in 2025?

Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Will Monmouth Park still be standing in 2025?

With the problems of Monmouth Park well documented do you think its only a matter of time before the doors close once and for all?
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
With the problems of Monmouth Park well documented do you think its only a matter of time before the doors close once and for all?
Who cares?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
Who cares?
I would guess more than a few people do.

If you don't, that's cool...when I don't care about a thread topic, I don't contribute to it...to each their own I guess.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
PowerUpPaynter

Think the Haskell would just cease to exist or be moved to another track? Gonna be a sad day when the doors finally close.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 05-26-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
lamboguy

for whatever reason, the deal that Stronach was supposed to takeover Parx seems dead for now. if he doesn't get Parx he could go after Monmouth. the place has a tremendous fan base and may fit that company's future plans.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
for whatever reason, the deal that Stronach was supposed to takeover Parx seems dead for now. if he doesn't get Parx he could go after Monmouth. the place has a tremendous fan base and may fit that company's future plans.
I agree, especially on the fan-base part. Without growing the fanbase. As much as the game is played at home and offtrack via simulcast, you still need to get people and owners into the game through live racing. That is Mth's greatest potential value to the game at this point.

For some reason I believe the Mth horsemen (well, Drazin) have said they would never sell out to Stronach. Judging by the quality of Sat and Sun Mth cards as compared to GP based on a very quick glance at the entries, not sure he's going to have a choice. GP going year-round is what is killing Mth more than anything. Frankey taking over combined with a change in Lrl's schedule would direct some of the snowbirds to Mth rather than Lrl, with the prime dates in the world of Frankey being:

GP Dec to late March
Lrl/Pim April-May
Mth late May-early Sept
Lrl Sept-Nov
alhattab is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
HalvOnHorseracing

There was a time when Monmouth was a perfect symbiosis of racing and the beach. You could take the family down the Jersey shore and have the best of both worlds. Internet betting has driven down attendance everywhere, and Monmouth on a lot of weekdays is practically a ghost town. It's just not part of the summer vacation plans like it used to be.

That being said, I've thought MTH has been short-timing for a while now. The location is not that great, especially if you are coming off the Parkway where you get to fight mall traffic and some shore traffic while playing chicken as the number of lanes goes from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1. The fields have been more uninspiring than not. And they can't compete with the purses at the states that they share a border with - PA, DE, and NY - because of the boost from slots. Get ready for the Haskell at...Delaware Park.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
RunForTheRoses

I vote it will be standing except it will be known as Monmouth Park Racetrack/Sports Betting Emporium and Weed Dispensary.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Mainly because it was mostly made up by you as there was never any such deal in place except in Internet rumors because Parx is making so much money Frank couldn't buy them?

And I'm in NJ---we've had three racetracks close and the three still standing are in critical condition. Where is this fanbase you speak of?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
freddyboy2468

Cool Will miss an old friend

We were there last Saturday. An employee om the track hinted. That
this might be the last year. WHO Knows. I hope it never closes. Been
going there 25 years, Would realy miss it

Freddy Boy
freddyboy2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Mainly because it was mostly made up by you as there was never any such deal in place except in Internet rumors because Parx is making so much money Frank couldn't buy them?

And I'm in NJ---we've had three racetracks close and the three still standing are in critical condition. Where is this fanbase you speak of?
castaway... I'll let lambo speak for himself, but it was NOT an internet rumor by any means.

It wasn't a direct purchase and takeover per se, but the plans were for The Stronach Group to run and manage Parx. This is a fact. You may or may not know but for about a year now, all entries made for Parx racing were made through the Laurel-Pimlico racing office. I repeat, what lambo originally said was not a crazed Internet rumor. So, how could that be if no understanding of a deal of such magnitude not be in place?

Also, this 'deal' is/was true because for many months now I have heard from very, very reliable sources that The Stronach Group wouldn't finalize anything unless and until Parx cleared up all current lawsuits and some future liabilities. Parx either refused or dragged their feet on this matter. I don't know.

The Stronach Group wanted to rid the place of the 3-4 trainers and owners that have had multiple illegal-drug related infractions -- they wanted to bar them from the track totally. Parx refused to do this because they didn't want any lawsuits from these crumb-bums.

The Pennsylvania Horse Owners Assc. also threw a monkey wrench into the negotiations. To what extent I do not know. My guess is that horse owners like, want and prefer a protected and corrupt racing industry that serves their purpose only and let the betting public be damned.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I vote it will be standing except it will be known as Monmouth Park Racetrack/Sports Betting Emporium and Weed Dispensary.
best place ever!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
castaway... I'll let lambo speak for himself, but it was NOT an internet rumor by any means.

It wasn't a direct purchase and takeover per se, but the plans were for The Stronach Group to run and manage Parx. This is a fact. You may or may not know but for about a year now, all entries made for Parx racing were made through the Laurel-Pimlico racing office. I repeat, what lambo originally said was not a crazed Internet rumor. So, how could that be if no understanding of a deal of such magnitude not be in place?

Also, this 'deal' is/was true because for many months now I have heard from very, very reliable sources that The Stronach Group wouldn't finalize anything unless and until Parx cleared up all current lawsuits and some future liabilities. Parx either refused or dragged their feet on this matter. I don't know.

The Stronach Group wanted to rid the place of the 3-4 trainers and owners that have had multiple illegal-drug related infractions -- they wanted to bar them from the track totally. Parx refused to do this because they didn't want any lawsuits from these crumb-bums.

The Pennsylvania Horse Owners Assc. also threw a monkey wrench into the negotiations. To what extent I do not know. My guess is that horse owners like, want and prefer a protected and corrupt racing industry that serves their purpose only and let the betting public be damned.
Stronach wanted Parx for the signal and to create a circuit that would eventually put an end to racing at Monmouth park he never had any interest in Monmouth even in 2011 when the RFPs were presented to the NJSEA . Also the horses at Parx are slot fueled so there is minimal outlay for Stronach if this ever happens.

Last edited by onefast99; 05-26-2017 at 06:04 PM.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
PowerUpPaynter

Just so I know who to hate can someone explain to me who the hold up is with sports better and/or slots... I know Christie is all for saving Monmouth and he is the HNIC, so whats the hold up?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

i have had the Castaway dude on ignore now for about 8 years, i can see he never changes. if he is happy acting the way he does i can only wish him well.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: