Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #91
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Well, if you (using the general YOU here, not YOU personally) think Bitcoins are a sham and a ponzi scheme, but you're scared of them going limit up, then I would suggest you really don't think they are such a scam after all.

And let's be realistic here...unless some major country abandons their current currency and declares Bitcoin their currency going forward (chances of that happening are, dare I say, nil), you really don't have that much to worry about in terms of losing your life savings in a lock limit situation.

For the record, I am not going to trade Bitcoin futures...long or short...I'm just asking those who are so bearish on them and call them a scam and a ponzi scheme, why aren't you itching to short at least 1 contract...
Because I don't ever itch to gamble.

I thought about your question after you asked it. Other than my lack of willingness to see gambling as anything more than an entertainment expense, why would I want to bet on something with that risk/reward ratio?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2018, 03:08 AM   #92
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Because I don't ever itch to gamble.

I thought about your question after you asked it. Other than my lack of willingness to see gambling as anything more than an entertainment expense, why would I want to bet on something with that risk/reward ratio?
Well then, you should reconsider your theory that bitcoin is nothing more than a con and/or a ponzi scheme, which is what you wrote earlier.

Because if in fact you believed this, then shorting bitcoin on the futures market wouldn't be a gamble to you. It would be free money. Because something that has gone sky high recently, but is nothing more than a con and/or a ponzi scheme...WILL come crashing down one day.

See ENRON as an example:

PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #93
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

If you could sell illegal drugs legally on the stock market, what would you pay for it?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #94
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Well then, you should reconsider your theory that bitcoin is nothing more than a con and/or a ponzi scheme, which is what you wrote earlier.

Because if in fact you believed this, then shorting bitcoin on the futures market wouldn't be a gamble to you. It would be free money. Because something that has gone sky high recently, but is nothing more than a con and/or a ponzi scheme...WILL come crashing down one day.

See ENRON as an example:

It WILL come crashing down one day. It doesn't mean I will be involved in any way.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #95
davew

Quote:
Do they have minis somewhere? other wise with a 30K maintenance, you need a half a million in your account to cover swings.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #96
reckless
Veteran

Needless to say, we've been overwhelmed beyond boredom about Bitcoin, etc. these past many months, especially when that price started racing towards $20,000.

But, one week ago January 7, 2018, the Dow Jones Industrial Averages hit 25,000 ... and just this morning, only one week later, the Dow has crossed 26,000!!

Yet, very little commentary on here about the stock market, especially the Dow ... not just in recent months but since... let's say 11-2-16, 8,000 + points ago! Yet, very little commentary on here about the stock market, especially the Dow ... not just in recent months but since... let's say 11-2-16, 8,000 + points ago!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #97
Tape Reader

As I type Bitcoin is trading on the CBOE around 11770. Once trading on an exchange opened a “two-way-street” a more orderly market arrived.

Free market capitalism, the best!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #98
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Needless to say, we've been overwhelmed beyond boredom about Bitcoin, etc. these past many months, especially when that price started racing towards $20,000.

But, one week ago January 7, 2018, the Dow Jones Industrial Averages hit 25,000 ... and just this morning, only one week later, the Dow has crossed 26,000!!

Yet, very little commentary on here about the stock market, especially the Dow ... not just in recent months but since... let's say 11-2-16, 8,000 + points ago! Yet, very little commentary on here about the stock market, especially the Dow ... not just in recent months but since... let's say 11-2-16, 8,000 + points ago!
It’s not just very little commentary. What little commentary there has been is largely about how overvalued the market has gotten. Not just since 11-2-2016 (or 11-8-2016) though. It’s been true throughout the rally which started in March 2009.

You can own part of a company that generates a profit and shares it with you or you can spend time watching one minute ticks and trying to guess which direction the next one moves. I can’t imagine putting that much effort into something when there is such an easy alternative for generating capital gains and income.

Of course, you might not want to own a portion of the greatest capitalist economy in the world. You could always buy some shiny rocks instead. Plenty of people have made that choice despite the fact those rocks have consistently lost value vs. equities on any long term horizon.

There is just no accounting (I mean that literally) for the choices many make with their money.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #99
lamboguy

Bitcoin has fallen from $20,000 down to $10,000 in about a week. i have no idea if Bitcoin will be around or not be around going forward.

the people that i have spoken to that own the Bitcoin say they own it because they don't trust fiat currency. i told them they should sell Bitcoin and buy precious metals with the money they have.. they say its going much higher.

i still say buy insurance, own gold. but in my opinion, one of these crypto's will withstand the test of time, my problem is there are so many of them now and probably more in the future that i don't know which one is the right one. i say gold will be around for about another 5000 years.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #100
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

See how much money you bitcoin-bashers could have made in one week shorting on the futures market?

I gave you the keys to the kingdom that you didn't even know existed, but you refused to run with it...
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #101
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
See how much money you bitcoin-bashers could have made in one week shorting on the futures market?

I gave you the keys to the kingdom that you didn't even know existed, but you refused to run with it...
How much Bitcoin do you own?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #102
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
How much Bitcoin do you own?
None...I have no opinion on it one way or another...never have.

I view it as a curiosity.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #103
timmy2toes
Apprentice

I love cryptos!!

Hi all,

Just throwing my 2 cents worth into this topic.

Personally i really love the idea of having control of my own money and not trusting a 3rd party like a bank. I believe all we do is get either fleeced by the banks or the government.

Your money, your rules!!

Regards timmy2toes.

P>S id love your thoughts on my perspective
timmy2toes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 12:08 AM   #104
davew

timmy2toes, can you use your cryptos to fill up your car with gasoline or buy a burger at a drive through?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #105
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Bitcoin is currently priced at $6,750; headed to $5,500 IMO.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: